Springfield-Greene County Library District discussion

What historical fiction title would you recommend?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's a list of historical fiction recommendations from the readers of Book Riot.

Have you read historical fiction before? If so, what title would you recommend to the group?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved All the Light We Cannot See, 11/22/63, and Dread Nation.

The last two are alternate histories, with some sci-fi sprinkled in there.

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam | 7 comments I loved Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. It's one of my favorite reads. Over a year later, and I still think about certain plot points and wonder about what a line at the end might have meant.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 33 comments I loved All the Light We Cannot See, and I've wanted to read Life After Life and Dread Nation for a while! Some of my favorites are Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders, Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein, and City of Thieves by David Benioff.

message 5: by Janice (new)

Janice | 56 comments I loved All the Light We Cannot See. I have also loved several books by Geraldine Brooks, including Caleb's Crossing, People Of The Book, and Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague. I have yet to read her The Secret Chord, but it is on my radar. I also really liked The Secrets of Mary Bowser by Lois Leveen, and Requiem by Frances Itani, which is beautifully written.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Janice wrote: "I loved All the Light We Cannot See. I have also loved several books by Geraldine Brooks, including Caleb's Crossing, [book:People Of The Book|115310..."

I've never read any Geraldine Brooks... Would Caleb's Crossing be a good place to start, do you think?

message 7: by Janice (new)

Janice | 56 comments I did love all three of these, but Years of Wonder was the first I read, and is probably the one that I sped through most quickly. People of the Book is a wonderful tale, but proceeds backward through time, and is a dense story, and a little harder to follow. So I would recommend starting with Years of Wonder, then consider the other two. They were all great reads, for me.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Janice wrote: "I did love all three of these, but Years of Wonder was the first I read, and is probably the one that I sped through most quickly. People of the Book is a wonderful tale, but proceeds backward thro..."

Thanks!