Grand Canyon Authors Club discussion

General > Introduce yourself

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andres (new)

Andres Rodriguez (aroddamonster) | 240 comments Mod
Okay Grand Canyon Authors and Readers, introductions are in order.

What's your name
City
Author/Reader/Editor etc.
Something interesting about yourself

message 2: by Andres (new)

Hi everyone and welcome to GCAC.

My name is Andres
I am from Tucson
I am a self published Author
I speak a little sign, Spanish and Japanese.

message 3: by Anderson (new)

Anderson Atlas | 4 comments Andres wrote: "Hi everyone and welcome to GCAC.

My name is Andres
I am from Tucson
I speak a little sign, Spanish and Japanese."

little Japanese, eh? cool. I've wanted to learn, but maybe just a little nervous about it.

message 4: by Anderson (last edited Jun 06, 2018 07:21AM) (new)

Anderson Atlas | 4 comments I just posted this on the old Bookmans post, but thought I'd do it here, too.

Hello, I'm Anderson Atlas and am a local Tucson Author. I plan on setting up a table at the next Bookmans Local Author event to meet some fellow Tucson readers and Writers.

I've been writing books for over ten years and it is what I love. Books get so much deeper than movies and can really sink in for life if the narrative connects on a deeper level. This is why I love to write and to read.

Unfortunately, reading isn't seen as necessary by many of my peers and in the world at large. That is why I add graphics to my novels so that the imagination can get some desired visual stimulation. Not to belittle colorful and poetic language, but I love a cool, engaging graphic when I'm reading fantasy or sci fi.

Anyway, My personal website is Andersonatlas.com, but all my books can be found on Amazon. I even have one audio book, too. Which was a weird experiment. :)

message 5: by Andres (last edited Jun 06, 2018 07:55AM) (new)

Anderson wrote:

little Japanese, eh? cool. I've wante..."

Well if you ever decide to jump in I can always use a friend to practice speaking with =D.

Think if you get some free time you can make a logo to add to the group?

message 6: by Anderson (new)

Anderson Atlas | 4 comments Andres wrote: "Anderson wrote:

little Japanese, eh? cool. I've wante..."

Well if you ever decide to jump in I can always use a friend to practice speaking with =D.

Think if you get some free time you can make..."

if I plunge into japanese, I'll let you know! I train in Bujinkan, so I'm slowly learning some words but its all martial art related.

Sure, I'll send a logo to you when I get a minute. finding minutes is hard these days :)

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (laurenbgrossman) | 15 comments Hi, When is the next Bookmans Local Author event? Is it open to many authors at one time?
Thanks,
Lauren B Grossman

message 8: by Andres (new)

I just checked the calendar and I didn't see anything posted. I asked Meriah and she should get back to me when they decide on a date. I was thinking of suggesting maybe an October date when it starts getting a little cooler. It is open to many authors, they put out as many tables as needed and the last event I believe had 4 authors at 3 tables. Soon as a date is decided I'll let everyone know!

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (laurenbgrossman) | 15 comments Was it well attended? Many visitors?

message 10: by Andres (new)

The nice thing about bookman's is that it has a consistent flow of readers going into the store. The tables in my opinion were located a little out of the way so if you didn't walk though the store or know the authors were in there somewhere... it was not obvious I guess is the nice way to put it. There is a huge amount of room in front of the store entrance and I'm thinking if we try to organize something when its a bit cooler outside, we will be able to interact with the entire population that goes there. Plus, with enough of a notice we can all try to advertise on our own social extensions which, like this group, will help show everyone some support and generate a larger crowd.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (laurenbgrossman) | 15 comments Thanks for the info.

message 12: by Gail (new)

Gail Gibbs (gailanngibbs) | 36 comments Hi All:
My name is Gail Ann Gibbs.
I live in Oro Valley, just north of Tucson.
I write science fiction, short stories, and mystery. I'm currently working on a dystopian romance.
I found this question surprisingly hard, which I suppose is revealing in itself. I don't speak Japanese (or any other languages fluently), but play a mean Sudoku.

message 13: by Andres (new)

Hi Gail,

Very nice to meet you. Welcome to the GCAC!

message 14: by Gail (new)

Gail Gibbs (gailanngibbs) | 36 comments Thanks! I'm also interested is sharing booths/tables at events sometimes. Since I only have two books so far, it's not worth the expense to go it alone.

Ryder Author Resources (ryderswriters) Hi, Guys!

My name is Jane Ryder, but you'll mostly see me on GR and elsewhere as my company, Ryder Author Resources (RAR!). I write the stuff most people don't regard as fun: promo copy, ad copy, website copy, jacket copy, book descriptions, blah blah blah. I also help authors with social media, newsletters, beta reading, self-publishing, getting reviews ... whatever needs doing.

I was born and raised in Tucson, keep leaving, and somehow keep coming back. I love Dr. Pepper, cats, staying indoors with the AC on, horror movies, and books. Everything about books. Any kind of books. And did I mention loving books?

Ryder Author Resources (ryderswriters) Hi, Andres! I love that you know even a little sign. I took a class in college, a million years ago, but now all I remember is the alphabet. :)

Andres wrote: "Hi everyone and welcome to GCAC.

My name is Andres
I am from Tucson
I speak a little sign, Spanish and Japanese."

Ryder Author Resources (ryderswriters) Hey, Anderson! It's great to meet you!

Anderson wrote: "I just posted this on the old Bookmans post, but thought I'd do it here, too.

Hello, I'm Anderson Atlas and am a local Tucson Author. I plan on setting up a table at the next Bookmans Local Author..."

Ryder Author Resources (ryderswriters) Hi, Gail!

What, an introverted author who doesn't like to talk about herself? You shock me. ;)

It's lovely to meet you. I love short stories and sci-fi, and have to say that a dystopian romance sounds fascinating!

Gail wrote: "Hi All:
My name is Gail Ann Gibbs.
I live in Oro Valley, just north of Tucson.
I write science fiction, short stories, and mystery. I'm currently working on a dystopian romance.
I found this quest..."

message 19: by Andres (new)

That's great. When my daughter was 6 months we got a little frustrated with not understanding her tantrums and my wife new basic sign language. We saw on PBS a show called, "Signing time." There were a few videos on youtube and this became the only 30 minutes of tv my daughter was exposed to so my wife could do her hair. She began talking to us in sign and we realized quickly we had to pay attention to the show as well because we didn't understand that she was talking to us and being frustrated with US lol. At 1 year old she had about 30-40 verbal words and some people told us she was delayed but they didn't realize she had vocabulary over 500 in sign. Once she made the connection between the two languages her verbal took off and she was speaking two languages at once for a few months it was awesome.

Now I try to communicate with her in sign while talking just so we can keep up our knowledge. It's also nice that I can scold her across the room without disturbing anyone.

Ryder Author Resources (ryderswriters) Haha! That's so cool, Andres. I really wish I'd taken more time to learn to sign. It's a beautiful language. And hey, you can always get work as an interpreter, right?

message 21: by Andres (new)

Yeah, well, not me but maybe she can if we can keep her using it. I'm not sure if you read Patrick Rothfuss's character Tempe and his culture but he uses hand signs in a very cool way. He's such an amazing writer.

message 22: by Cricket (new)

Cricket Rohman | 23 comments Hi All,
My name is Cricket Rohman and I joined several weeks ago. This is my first post.
I live in Oro Valley, AZ from Dec-May.
From June-Nov I reside in a log cabin in the Colorado mountains.
I have been a full-time author for the past five years after leaving a teaching, admin, asst. professor careers. Sprinkled throughout, I was an actor.
Something interesting? Hmm. My first real-love relationship was with Elvis Presley's rhythm guitar player. (stop doing the math.)

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (laurenbgrossman) | 15 comments Hi all,
Anyone notice the lack of quality control with CreateSpace since Amazon took over?
I have never had these problems before,
Was so excited to get my shipment of my newest novel, but disappointed when I opened it and it did not compare to the proof. What is the point of a proof if you don't receive the same images?
They will be fixing it and sending out free copies, but I do wonder about the copies that people already bought and received through Amazon itself.
Just venting. Sorry.

message 24: by Andres (new)

Hi Cricket,
It's very nice to meet you. Apparently my mother knows Jerry Gallegos. This probably wont mean anything to anyone except you lol.

Lauren,
I am just about to order myself a few more copies after updating my book. I'll let you know if they come different than the digital proof as well. Hopefully it's just a rare occurrence. If not we might have to pool together a GCAC account and print our own copies lol.

message 25: by Cricket (new)

Cricket Rohman | 23 comments Andres wrote: "Hi Cricket,
It's very nice to meet you. Apparently my mother knows Jerry Gallegos. This probably wont mean anything to anyone except you lol.
Who is your mother?

Lauren,
I am just about to order myself a few more co..."

Andres wrote: "Hi Cricket,

Lauren,
I am just about to order myself a few more co..."

Lauren wrote: "Hi all,
Anyone notice the lack of quality control with CreateSpace since Amazon took over?
Was so excited to get my shipment of my newest novel, but disappoi..."

Lauren wrote: "Hi all,
Was so excited to get my shipment of my newest novel, but disappoi..."

message 26: by Andres (new)

Gloria Alday

message 27: by Andres (new)

Okay, they haven't answered me but a friend just text me a flyer. Local author fair is Sept 29th. Maybe they did get my email and just created the event rather than email me back. That sucks but at least it's there. Hope to see some of you there!

message 28: by Andres (new)

To sign up email northwest@bookmans.com
It's from 10am to noon.

message 29: by Germaine (new)

Germaine Shames (germaineshames) | 6 comments Thanks, Andres.

message 30: by Andres (new)

Your welcome!

Email stephaniee@bookmans.com if you are interested in sharing your work with with the Bookmans community.

message 31: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Doty (jldoty) | 12 comments Hi All:

I'm Jim Doty. I write and publish science fiction and fantasy under my initials (JL Doty). I live in Oro Valley year around. I had my first success as a writer about 5 years ago when a self-published book went viral and made #1 on some of Amazon's best-seller lists. I have 10 published SF&F books, 7 self-published, 1 Harper Collins Voyager, and 2 with Open Road Media. I recently finished my 11th and 12th, and have been busy getting rejection slips from publishers.

It's nice to meet all of you. And I'd like to know more about this Bookman's thing.

message 32: by Andres (last edited Sep 14, 2018 02:42PM) (new)

It's great to meet you Jim.
So the bookmans off of Ina I believe, I think there is a micheals there as well... Anyway, they usually move around the board games display and put up some tables for local authors. Just Email Stephaniee@bookmans.com and let her know that you would like to attend.

What's great is the large volume of shoppers going in to find something new to read. You'll get to meet other local authors plus face to face readers that might not have heard of your book yet. You could make some new fans. Its a nice way for us to come together, advertise and bring some new readers into our 'worlds'.

Maybe even give us some advice on using lasers haha. Again, nice to meet you and welcome to the club! Are you only attending the SFCon or are you also going to the Comic Con?

message 33: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Doty (jldoty) | 12 comments Per your recommendation, Andres, I contacted Stephanie at Bookmans and I'm in. Really looking forward to meeting you and others on the 29th.

Jim

message 34: by Cricket (new)

Cricket Rohman | 23 comments J.L. wrote: "Hi All:

I'm Jim Doty. I write and publish science fiction and fantasy under my initials (JL Doty). I live in Oro Valley year around. I had my first success as a writer about 5 years ago when a sel..."

Andres wrote: "Okay, they haven't answered me but a friend just text me a flyer. Local author fair is Sept 29th. Maybe they did get my email and just created the event rather than email me back. That sucks but at..."

Andres wrote: "Okay, they haven't answered me but a friend just text me a flyer. Local author fair is Sept 29th. Maybe they did get my email and just created the event rather than email me back. That sucks but at..."

Wish I could join you all at Bookman's but I'll be in Colorado giving a book-talk at the Dolores Public Library that same day.

message 35: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Skinner (sharonskinner56) | 1 comments Thank you for inviting me to the group, Andres.
My name is Sharon Skinner.
I am located in the Phoenix East Valley
I mainly write fantasy, sci-fi, and paranormal. I write across ages, including picture book, middle-grade, YA and adult.
I am a Navy veteran and served aboard the first US ship to take women to sea.
Oh, and I have a booksigning in Tucson on November 17, 2018 at 2pm at the Eastside Barnes & Noble.

message 36: by Andres (new)

Absolutely, welcome! Its great to have another fantasy writer in the group, I think there is only 4 or 5 of us.

Very cool, what was the name of the ship?

Nov 17 is a Saturday, I'll try to see if I can stop by and say hi! Exciting, are you releasing a new book or just bringing your current works down to Tucson?

message 37: by Cricket (new)

Cricket Rohman | 23 comments Sharon wrote: "Thank you for inviting me to the group, Andres.
I mainly write fantasy, sci-fi, and paranormal. I write across ages, including pic..."

Sharon wrote: "Thank you for inviting me to the group, Andres.
I mainly write fantasy, sci-fi, and paranormal. I write across ages, including pic..."

Cricket wrote: " "I live in Oro Valley year around. I had my first success as a writer about 5 years a..."

Hi Sharon, Good luck with your signing. I'm out of state right now, or I'd be there. Hope to meet up with you one of these days.

message 38: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Patterson | 16 comments Mod
My name is Christopher Patterson

I am from Tucson AZ

I am a self published author of Fantasy and Historical Fiction, and I use Wheatmark to help with publishing.

I am also a high school wrestling and football coach

message 39: by Cricket (new)

Cricket Rohman | 23 comments Welcome Christopher. I’m from Tucson, too.

message 40: by Andres (new)

Welcome to the club Christopher! Wheatmark, that's one I hadn't found, I'lll post the link up for everyone to check out. Thanks, that's what the community is all about, sharing info and helping each other out.

message 41: by Steven (new)

Steven Hildreth Jr. (stevenhildrethjr) | 16 comments Hi, all,

My name's Steven. I've lived in Tucson for the past 9 years. I've self-published four books in the action adventure/thriller genre, with two of those books featuring Tucson as a major setting.

Something interesting about myself...I do a passable imitation of DMX during karaoke. LOL.

Thanks for the invite!

message 42: by Andres (new)

X gon givit to ya! LOL.

message 43: by Steven (new)

Steven Hildreth Jr. (stevenhildrethjr) | 16 comments Andres wrote: "X gon givit to ya! LOL."

Hahahaha xD

message 44: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Doty (jldoty) | 12 comments Welcome aboard, Steven

message 45: by K.J. (new)

K.J. Kabza (kjkabza) | 13 comments Hi all! I'm KJ Kabza and, although I've been living in Tucson for about 6 years, I only just made a Goodreads Author account and heard about this group from Chris Patterson. (Thanks for the rec, Chris!)

I write fantasy and science fiction short stories and am revising a novel (which I like to pitch as, "a Stone-Age Watership Down with a war against the gods"). For a fun personal fact, know that I adore hiking, and I have a ton of landscape photos on my phone.

I'm juggling a lot of things right now, so I'm not sure how active I'll be able to be in this group, but I'll be around when I can. There are a few people here I know already from other events, and I look forward to meeting the rest of you in person someday!

message 46: by Andres (new)

Hi KJ!

That Chris is a machine. He's amazing. Welcome to the group!