Oprah's Book Club (Official) discussion

Oprah's Book Club Selections > The Sun Does Shine: How I Found Life and Freedom on Death Row by Anthony Ray Hinton

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by OBC (new)

OBC  | 316 comments Mod
In 1985, 29-year-old Anthony Ray Hinton was arrested and charged with two counts of capital murder in Alabama. Stunned and confused, Hinton knew that it was a case of mistaken identity. He believed the truth would prove his innocence and ultimately set him free.

Can’t wait for you all to get your copy so that we can discuss!

message 2: by LiteraryMarie (new)

LiteraryMarie Got my copy!

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 5 comments I was so very fortunate enough to receive a preview copy of this book. I will be honest, I went from being a supporter of the death penalty my entire life. I still feel it is an appropriate punishment BUT this book brought to my attention the horrible racism and bias that goes into how the death penalty is applied. This made me realize that it cannot be used if it can't be used objectively! Other than that huge impact on my thinking, I loved reading how Anthony Ray Hinton changed through the course of his incarceration! Totally inspirational!

message 4: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 1 comments This sounds like a phenomenal story!!!!

message 5: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 2 comments Got my copy...

message 6: by Beryl (new)

Beryl Crosher-Segers (berylmsegers) | 5 comments Waiting for my copy!

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg | 5 comments John Grisham has written two books about the death penalty. "The Innocent Man" is a true story about how the death penalty works in real life. I haven't gotten to it yet, but I did read his novel "The Confession."

"The Confession" is a compelling book and explains in excruciating detail how the death penalty system in Texas is set up and is gamed against anybody who is charged. It's pretty clear what Grisham thinks of this "ultimate punishment" based on his novel.

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 5 comments Looking forward to reading it!

Bree Adores Reading I bought my book, 3 days ago. I'm currently on chapter 2. Oh my this book is good! Really looking forward to all this book has to offer.

message 10: by OBC (last edited Jun 12, 2018 11:19AM) (new)

OBC  | 316 comments Mod
LiteraryMarie wrote: "Got my copy!"

Great, share your thoughts on the reading so far!

message 11: by OBC (new)

OBC  | 316 comments Mod
BookGirl97 wrote: "I bought my book, 3 days ago. I'm currently on chapter 2. Oh my this book is good! Really looking forward to all this book has to offer."

A journey of forgiveness, understanding and compassion. Have you discovered any particular nugget or thought provoking lesson or challenge you want to share?

message 12: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 2 comments I'm currently on chapter 11 but wow, what Anthony Ray had to endure is a hell of a lot :( reading this is breaking my heart over and over again.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I just started reading this book today.

message 14: by OBC (new)

OBC  | 316 comments Mod
Cassie wrote: "I'm currently on chapter 11 but wow, what Anthony Ray had to endure is a hell of a lot :( reading this is breaking my heart over and over again."

Is it breaking your heart with emotional empathy of Anthony's story, or does it strike a cord to be active in someway? Will you pass this reading on to others? Let us know what you think?

- Oprah's Book Club

message 15: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 143 comments The innocent man is pretty good

message 16: by Genebelle (new)

Genebelle  Moreno  | 1 comments I listened to the soulful conversation w/ Anthony Hinton & just had to pick up the book. I finished the book in 3 days & it changed my perspective on the death penalty. Such a easy, addicting & inspiring book to read! ALSO, can we talk about Lester?! Man, I thought I had best friends.....

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2 comments I just finished reading this book... Oh my goodness! It was such an inspirational read. I really enjoyed this book. It continues to reinforce the belief that good will always overcomes evil. There was so many times reading this book that I just shook my head in disbelief. I just couldn’t believe what I was reading. I too now have changed in my beliefs concerning the death penalty. I mean, I've always believed in an eye for an eye, but with 1 out of every 10 people on death row statistically being innocent but executed anyway, I can't say in good conscious that I can whole heartedly advocate for such punishment. What was most shocking to learn was that Judges in Alabama (the only state in the country) still can overturn the jury's verdict by sentencing people to death, despite the jury sentencing people to life in prison. Wow! Just wow! Lastly, I especially appreciated Ray's determination to choose life and compassion for others no matter what they did or what society thought of them. He served and befriended inmates and the guards; he forgave and continues to forgive the entire judicial system that sent him to prison to begin with; despite the injustices he faced, he still carries with him his faith in God; He triumphed over significant odds using his mind and imagination to escape the dark realities he was experiencing every day. He was able to find joy during a time that so many others would have gave up and quit. That is truly remarkable! It inspires me in so many ways to never give up in life or on people, to keep hope alive and to always remain true to my faith in God. Enjoy the read everybody. Much Love to everyone! :)

message 18: by Michelle (last edited Jun 22, 2018 05:56AM) (new)

Michelle | 2 comments OBC wrote: "Cassie wrote: "I'm currently on chapter 11 but wow, what Anthony Ray had to endure is a hell of a lot :( reading this is breaking my heart over and over again."

Is it breaking your heart with emot..."

Genebelle wrote: "I listened to the soulful conversation w/ Anthony Hinton & just had to pick up the book. I finished the book in 3 days & it changed my perspective on the death penalty. Such a easy, addicting & ins..."

OBC wrote: "BookGirl97 wrote: "I bought my book, 3 days ago. I'm currently on chapter 2. Oh my this book is good! Really looking forward to all this book has to offer."

A journey of forgiveness, understanding..."

@Susan, My views on the death penalty has changed too...

@Cassie, So true! It was such a good read!

@Genebelle, What a friend Lester was! I mean... Can't say I got a lot of people like that in my life!

@Alexis, You won't regret purchasing this book! It's a game changer!

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 5 comments @genebelle and @Michelle
I think having those strong attachments is a big part if whether or not someone can succeed after leaving prison. We should all be so lucky to have people like that in our lives! ♥

message 20: by Carmel (new)

Carmel Hanes This sounds like a book I need to check out. Having worked with kids locked up in detention centers for ten years, listening to their stories, and trying to help them find ways to change the path that got them there, I think I will recognize some of the issues and themes this book offers. There was nothing more rewarding than to see some of them blossom and succeed when given the opportunity to do so. Having an "up close look" at an ugly underbelly of our world can be hard, but it sure can influence how you see things....like how inconsistent, and sometimes unfair, our justice system is. Some of your comments show me that this book helps people rethink their views, which is a powerful testament for a book. Sounds like it will be worth reading, and addresses a passion of mine.

message 21: by Marva (new)

Marva Gardiner   (marvagardiner) | 1 comments I just finish reading the book. it broke my heart to know what Mr. Hilton had to endure. America needs to compensate him for all those years

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine Jolley | 1 comments I finished this about a week or so ago. It was one of the best books I've read in a while. Such beautiful writing and absolutely heartbreaking in parts. It was very hard to not get teary eyed in parts especially the little acts of kindness they did for each other. Feel like this should be required reading for everyone. Feel like a better human being for reading this book.

message 23: by Ana (new)

Ana Maliya | 2 comments How could I get you to
Read mine you beautiful people! It’s free on kindle until Friday please go check it out! Thank you! Here is the link! https://www.amazon.com/dp/1982984015/...