The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

Larry Niven
This topic is about Larry Niven
Science Fiction Authors > Larry Niven

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 4280 comments Mod
Larry Niven has written a lot of books on his own & with others. Discuss them here.

message 2: by Jim (new)

FantasticFiction.com is one of my go to places to quickly get a list of all the books an author has written & to see their series. I was surprised by what I found for Niven, though.
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/n/la...

Their listing for the Known Space series differs a lot from the GR one which is here:
https://www.goodreads.com/series/5022...

I've never read all the books in order, just as I picked them up over the years. Has anyone read them all? Is the GR listing the best for reading order?

message 3: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments I read Ringworld and Lucifer's Hammer years ago, when they were first published and enjoyed them both very much. I read The Mote in God's Eye more recently and it was okay, but it didn't match my anticipation. I don't think I've read anything else by Niven, though he is a name well known to me.

message 4: by Jim (new)

You seem to have read his best known books which makes sense. All were good, although I don't recall liking Ringworld as much as the other two. I've reread both of those, but never wanted to reread it. Protector might be my favorite novel, a short one that's part of his Known Space series.

My favorites have been the Known Space short stories, especially those with Gil Hamilton & Beowulf Schaeffer. Gil in The Long Arm of Gil Hamilton is a cop who deals with our overcrowded solar system & some wild tech. There's a few really chilling stories/threads about addiction & the issues of being able to transplant organs. Beowulf Schaeffer is a scamp & a tramp who deals with the Puppeteers & lots of other issues way out in space. Crashlander collects some, if not all the stories about him.

There are other early short stories & novels of Known Space that I liked, too. IIRC, Tales of Known Space: The Universe of Larry Niven has some others. I think it starts off with a Beowulf story, though. I think some of the Kzin (an alien race we fight) stories are in it, but it's been too long.

Anyway, I remember his early work fondly, but haven't read most of his later stuff, especially those he wrote with Barnes. They tend to be a lot longer. I never could get interested in Heorot or the additional Ringworld books. Actually, I only read the second Ringworld book & didn't like it.

message 5: by Oleksandr (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 970 comments I liked all books by Niven I've read, but I admit that I yet to read a lot of his works. I fully agree that his short story mysteries in The Long Arm of Gil Hamilton are good. I also liked Ringworld but never read past the 1st volume. His The Integral Trees were also good