Play Book Tag discussion

The Catcher in the Rye
This topic is about The Catcher in the Rye
Archive: Other Books > Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger, 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9390 comments Returned to this classic for the purpose of supporting my child through the 9th grade. But this oldie has something in it for everyone. I think I am far more moved as an adult to appreciate Holden's interweaving of perspective and loss of perspective. How tough it is to be a teenager. Its so obvious that what Holden suggests is true - that life happens in the digression. Its in the spaces between what is direct and indirect, it engagement in the moment and your reflection on it. Heartbreaking moment in the story (so many of them) is when the record he so lovingly bought for his sister breaks. Phoebe is an amazing character, and its equally poignant when she shows up with a suitcase at the museum and demands to go away with him, and that is the thing that shows him he can no longer run. Unquestionably, for all of the angst, Holden Caulfield is authentic, and Holden Caulfield is loved. Its an amazing speech near the end that his former English teacher gives - about figuring out what you love and going for it. Its kind of like the record, the hunting hat, and other experiences he creates out of nothing. You have to figure out what matters, what is worth a possible shattering of the heart, and then go for it with everything you've got.

What a shame that these books are wasted on the young. I hope my fifteen year old has the opportunity to read it again someday too. And to take it in. This one stands the test of time.

Kszr | 172 comments Amy wrote: "Returned to this classic for the purpose of supporting my child through the 9th grade. But this oldie has something in it for everyone. I think I am far more moved as an adult to appreciate Holden'..."

Great review.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review. I haven't read this in years. You inspire me to read it again. I'm sure now that I'm older I will love it even more.

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Amy wrote: "What a shame that these books are wasted on the young. I hope my fifteen year old has the opportunity to read it again someday too. And to take it in. This one stands the test of time."

I loved this when I read it in high school, and re-read last year- and it totally stood up to expectations as an adult.

Did your son not enjoy it?

Karin | 7481 comments So, if I loathed this book as a teen, is there any chance I'd like it now with an adult perspective?

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8453 comments I too hated this book in High School. I guess because it was forced upon me. I am trying to get up the gumption and read some of the classics again-you give me inspiration Amy, another well written review.

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 515 comments Great review. I try to read this book every year around x-mas time. The more I read it, the more I think the book has really nothing to do with teenage angst.

Tracy (tstan) | 1238 comments Your review is fantastic! The book...It was ok, but not for me.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I haven't read this book yet. I am waiting to see if it gets assigned for my son's English class. I have been buddy reading his books this year. I just saw the movie Rebel in the Rye about J.D. Salinger and it was really good. The movie had nothing to do with teenage angst either.

message 10: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments I also hated it when I read it in high school. I've been considering whether I should re-read it to see if I appreciate it more.

(I hated Jane Eyre in high school and still hated it when I re-read it a few years back ... though I did appreciate it more.)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments I liked the book when I read it in High School. I want to re-read it but I hate re-reading.