Accel 11 Reads (18-19) discussion

Recommendations > Recommend a Book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Grondin | 8 comments Mod
Recommend a book that you have read recently that you think your classmates might enjoy this summer. Explain what you liked about it and whom you think might be interested.

message 2: by Jarrett (new)

Jarrett Alto | 7 comments I always recommend 1984 as it mentions issues that at the time of Orwell's writing of it in 1949 were of course important but still thought of as faraway whereas they are now serious threats in a time of mass media and political polarization.

message 3: by Nolan (new)

Nolan | 3 comments Don't forget Globalism and Political Correctness

message 4: by Maddie (new)

Maddie Brown | 2 comments "The Selection" is a pretty popular novel, but definitely one of my all time favorites. I loved how cute it was, and how it had a strong female lead. I think girls would enjoy it more than guys, because it's about royalty and romance. It's not a hard book to read so I highly recommend checking it out!

message 5: by Nolan (new)

Nolan | 3 comments I am still reading it, though I highly recommend reading the Divine Comedy. Whether you are religious or not, this book has amazing commentary on human nature, morality, and above all else:
punishment and reward. It is a remarkable odyssey, and although it can be difficult to read I actually like it more than Shakespeare. Dante was very successfully at scaring and uplifting the reader throughout the course of the Divine Comedy, and for that reason I ask of anyone that loves literature to read this epic which has existed since the Middle Ages.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Brunner (annambrunner) | 2 comments My all time favorite novel and the one I will always recommend is "Salt to the Sea" by Ruta Sepetys. It is one of the best World War 2 novels I have ever read and left me with a new insight and take on the war. With four different perspectives spanning the book, you get to have an in depth look into several different characters and grow really attached to each one (well one of them I actually hated but I guess that's personal opinion haha). This book is so universal and can be enjoyed by everyone; I seriously recommend it.

message 7: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Nielsen | 2 comments One of my favorite books to read would definitely be "The Hobbit" by J. R. R. Tolkein. I absolutely love the way that Tolkein whisks the readers away to a whole new world with a variety of characters that are different from any other story. The adventures of the characters are so exciting and fun to read about. I definitely recommend it to people of all ages.

message 8: by Molly (new)

Molly | 3 comments I really loved "Will Grayson Will Grayson" by John Green and David Levithan. It is such a intriguing book and is written from multiple different points of view. Also, it has one of my all time favorite characters, a ex-football player who writes his own musical. It is just a good book if you are looking for a relatively quick read.

message 9: by Addie (new)

Addie Patterson | 3 comments One of my favorite books that I have recently finished is ¨Alex and Eliza¨ by Melissa de la Cruz. I am a huge fan of Hamilton, so I was drawn by this book. It follows the story of how Alexander Hamilton and Eliza Schuyler and how their famous relationship came to be. It goes in way deeper than the musical, and I learned some new things about history while reading. Totally recommend his book if you love history, or a fan of Hamilton as well. I can't wait to read the next book of the series.

message 10: by Addie (new)

Addie Patterson | 3 comments I want to add another recommendation: the "Dorthy Must Die" series. It puts a extremely dark twist on the story of "The Wizard of Oz". It is about a girl named Amy Gumm who ends up going to Oz, however Dorthy took over and now everyone who was good, is extremely evil. It tells Amy's story in Oz with a dark twist. Also there prequels to the books, but I don't recommend reading them unless you are fully into the story. This book is fine for teenagers who enjoy dark or different twists on books, like me.

message 11: by Grace (new)

Grace Gary | 2 comments I would defiantly recommend reading Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. I don't even know how to describe it, but I do know that it's really good. The best way to understand is to just read it.

message 12: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Cordon | 4 comments I would recommend lions of Little Rock... it’s an easy book and I finished it in 2 hours but it’s really good. I originally read it for OBOB but I have read it several time since.

message 13: by Spencer (new)

Spencer | 4 comments I quite suggest the book "Poisonwood Bible." The book is written in seven sections, with the narratives switching from each of the daughters. The book centers on several different themes, including Christianity. I won't reveal the plot, but I found it extraordinarily interesting. I would recommend this book to people interested in culture and Global Religions.

message 14: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Le | 2 comments I suggest reading the book "Free Will" by Sam Harris. The book questions the reality of free will, which is quite thought-provoking.

message 15: by Kylie (new)

Kylie | 2 comments One book that I am reading currently is The name of the Wind. It's science fiction and is told from the point of view of the main character talking about his past. It goes from the present to flashing back to the past which makes the story very interesting. It's a long book but isn't slow.

message 16: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Hays | 2 comments My favorite book is probably “I’ll Give You the Sun” by Jandy Nelson. It’s a beautifully written book that uses tons of colorful imagery. The novel is about twins (changing perspectives chapter to chapter) who are explaining what happened to their family by revealing parts of events from different perspectives (the sister is explaining what happens from the future while the brother narrates the buildup). It’s a YA LGBTQA+ book with a deeper message about family relationships. If you are into art you would L O V E this book (half of it takes place in art school while the entire novel is about the twins’ art careers).

message 17: by Britney (new)

Britney | 1 comments I strongly reccomend " The Red Umbrella," by Christina Gonzalez, it follows the fascinating story of a teenage girl who is sent to America in 1961 from Cuba, during the communist revolution led by Fidel Castro. It's really exciting and hard to put down, and not too many people know very much about the revolution that took place in Cuba during the 60's so it's very eye-opening.

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moreno | 4 comments I would highly recommend starting the series of "Chaos Walking" by Patrick Ness, I'm already into the second book so far, and the story follows two teens, Todd and Viola through this world where everyone can hear the noise only out of the men . "Noise" is basically the thoughts that stream out for everyone to hear, which makes it hard for a secret that Todd has to keep throughout the trilogy.

message 19: by John (new)

John Dotson | 3 comments I would highly recommend either "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand (story of a woman trying to save her love and her business as the weight of the world crashes down around her) or "The Stand" by Stephen King (plague wipes out 98% of the human race and the survivors find themselves drawn to two leaders in this world, this story follows the conflict between them) if you want a very large book to tackle. Both are well over 1000 pages and are very heavy on commentary about human society. For a quick fun read I recommend "Thrawn" by Timothy Zahn (a nice quick Star Wars book that explains and adds a lot to the movies), "The Dictator's Handbook" by Bruce Bueno De Mesquita (a hilarious commentary on current world political structures and how easily toppled they could be) or "Bone" by Jeff Smith (cute coming of age story in an interesting and constantly changing graphic novel format).

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna Dummer | 4 comments I would really recommend The Way Of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. It is super interesting and really complex. There are tons of characters and even though it is a little long, it is really exciting. It is definitely a book for someone who loves reading and has lots of time on their hands.

message 21: by Connie (new)

Connie Williamson | 2 comments I would most definitely recommend the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It is 7 books long and is a very complex and compelling narrative for those who are willing to read the entire journey. However, it also gets a little intense and graphic at some points, so be aware if you don't want to see that kind of stuff.

message 22: by Catie (new)

Catie F | 1 comments I recommend the Trylle trilogy by Amanda Hocking, which is the prequel to the Kanin Chronicles, which continues after Trylle. The story line is adventurous, magical and sometimes romantic. The Trylle + the Kanin Chronicles is a total of 6 books and it's a wonderful series for someone who loves adventure novels as well as magic.

message 23: by Izabelle (new)

Izabelle | 8 comments I would recommend A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall. It would be a great book to read for the summer because it is a very simple and charming read. I really enjoyed this book because it showed the development of a relationship from many different viewpoints. This is a good book to read if you are looking for a lighthearted and easy book for the summer.

message 24: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Pham | 2 comments "On a Pale Horse" by Piers Anthony is an interesting book and apart of the "Incarnations of Immortality" series. It was published in 1983 but takes place in the early 21st century and it is about a guy who kills a Grim Reaper, note in this world there are multiple Grim Reapers, and then is forced to assume his office.

message 25: by Eden (new)

Eden | 2 comments "Uglies" and "Pretties" by Scott Westerfeld. I know they aren't challenging books but they are really great. When I first read them I loved them so much I read them multiple times and every time I think of a good book I think of these. I enjoyed this book because it is about a society where everything is ugly until it is changed into pretty which is what they view as perfect. A girl is about to get a Pretty surgery, but is caught doing something forbidden and meets a new friend who is still an Ugly but is really different from her and changes the way she views everything around her.

message 26: by Jimena (new)

Jimena Boyzo | 5 comments I recently finished reading the book " The Dog Stars" by the Author Peter Heller. It is a great book if you're into post-apocalyptic adventures that have a hit of very real human emotions ( warning you might cry at points), the author does such a great job at just making the story feel real in a sense. I really recommend it.

message 27: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 5 comments A light-hearted book that I enjoyed was "Flora and Ulysses" by Kate DiCamillo. It's not a challenging read, and provides a nice break from more difficult book. I enjoyed it mainly because of the hilarious yet sweet relationship between Flora and Ulysses, the squirrel she saves from the brink of death after a terrifying vaccum accident. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for an easy and enjoyable quick read.

message 28: by Muriel (new)

Muriel Wilkinson | 2 comments Those who want a science based book with a lot of humor, please read The Martian by Andy Weir. It's ridiculously hilarious and is written by a "lifelong space nerd" (his bio's words not mine). It's easily one of my favorite books (and and my favorite movie ever). I've read it twice and it gets better every time. If I have time this summer (which I won't but I can try) I'm going to read it again before school starts back up.

message 29: by Breanna (new)

Breanna | 2 comments I recommend Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. Warning the book deals with triggering topics such as sexual assault, and depression. Basically the book is around Melinda’s experience with depression, and high school.

message 30: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Richardson | 2 comments I recommend Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth. It has a strong female role and it has some really good quotes and insights about happiness and death.

message 31: by Zach (new)

Zach Szklarz | 2 comments I recommend a few books, firstly, "Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini, a great book about Soviet and Taliban invasion of Afghanistan based oof of the author's personal experience. "The Catfish an the Mandala" by local author Andrew X. Pham is one of the best books I read this past year, It's an autobiographical tale of the author's extensive travels throughout North America's west coast and Asia. Lastly, I recommend any book by Andrew Smith, a hilarious author of absurdist young adult fiction.

message 32: by Mason (new)

Mason Bonn | 2 comments I just finished reading The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown and would recommend it. It is controversial due to the ideas it raises clashing with traditional Christian themes, but it is really interesting and builds good suspense and as long as it is approached with the right mindset is a great read

message 33: by Angel (new)

Angel | 3 comments One book I recommend is “A Student’s Guide to Mastering ASL Grammar” by Michelle Jay. Obviously, it’s about American Sign Language, but it clearly lays out the pattern of the language’s grammar and explains how it’s different from our own. It’s a short book, is easy to read, and talks about all sections that make up the grammar of ASL. I’d recommend this book to someone who wants to know more about ASL and how it’s different from our own language. My favorite part is the part on syntax (word order) because, before I got this book, I was confused, but now this book helps me learn more about syntax and clearly explains syntax. It also explains some things that are common in the Deaf community and I think it includes a piece on Deaf culture, which is important if you want to know ASL. This book is a good book for grammar, though it’s a bit technical and can be boring for someone who isn’t as interested in grammar or language.

message 34: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Van | 2 comments I would definitely recommend the Fault in our Stars by John Green. It is a very realistic book, and it is down to earth. It also touches on important issues.

message 35: by Maliyah (new)

Maliyah | 3 comments Read I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai. She weaves metaphors into her work and plays with her native Pashtun language to show us how the Taliban worked. It really opens your eyes to what was actually happening in Pakistan. She talks about the things the Americans did, and it puts you into her perspective. Your eyes will be opened to the horrors that everyday people faced under the relentless rule of the Taliban

message 36: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Patel | 2 comments I don't have anything specific, but I recommend reading something about current events. I enjoy reading things about current events because it keeps me aware of what what is going on in my community, country, or world.

message 37: by Ishan (new)

Ishan Varma | 2 comments I recommend "A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman because it was funny and set in a country I didn't know much about.

message 38: by Annika (new)

Annika | 2 comments I would probably recommend "The Name of This Book is Secret" by Pseudonymous Bosch. It is the first book in "The Secret Series," which has been one of my favorite book series since I first read it in elementary school. It is a fun and interesting read that I would recommend to anyone looking for something unusual. The thing I enjoyed most about it was the creative and odd style of writing that made the book funny and interesting.

message 39: by Emily (new)

Emily Pike | 2 comments The books I would like to recommend is the entire Unwanteds series, by Lisa McMann. It's a fun series with a really interesting storyline that I still love to this day! I really enjoyed a lot of the characters and how it was written. It's a fantasy book, too.

message 40: by Peter (new)

Peter Dinsdale | 2 comments I would recommend the novel "Into The Beautiful North" by Luis Alberto Urrea. I read this novel in Accelerated English 10. The novel takes place in the fictional town of Tres Camerones south of the America-Mexico border. It details he journey of Nayeli, a young Mexican woman, and her gang of friends crossing the border in search of men to bring back to their town. While at times comical, the novel shines light on the harsh realities of crossing the border and living in certain places in Mexico. The novel is around 300 pages, and overall is a good read.

message 41: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Merrill | 2 comments I would recommend "Into the Beautiful North" by Luis Alberto Urrea, it was a fun read and gives some insight into a different culture and life, compared to a student at SHS.

message 42: by Michael (new)

Michael Dinsdale | 2 comments I recommend "The New Jim Crow". It is an eye-opening novel, especially for us at SHS, who aren't very exposed to the topics in the novel.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I suggest The Brain That Changes Itself. I haven't personally read it but Todd Zimbleman, the West Salem band director, suggested it last week during our leadership camp and it's something that could get me into more of research themed books.

message 44: by Jacob (new)

Jacob | 1 comments Totally recommend Ready Player One if your into 80s pop culture and video games like me. There is one part that is inappropriate, but you can easily skip over it because it’s non significant. Also if your not ok with cussing not the book for you.

message 45: by Riley Holmes (new)

Riley Holmes  | 5 comments I highly recommend I Am Malala if you haven’t already read it. It’s incredibly inspiring and really neat to see the different styles of life. It provides many forms of style and language that are intriguing to the reader and made me never want to put it down. It’s a book that makes me want to keep reading more books. It’s focused on women education rights and the strength and hardships Malala goes through at a young age.

message 46: by Lan (new)

Lan Tran | 2 comments A book that has a close place in my heart is "Where the Mountain Meets the Moon" by Grace Lin. It captures the some of the extensive folklore in the Chinese cultures and it has a beautiful storyline. The audience that it was initially targeted at is around the near teen range, but it is still an amazing book if you're interested in expanding your knowledge of Asian culture and especially fantasy!

message 47: by Jonah (new)

Jonah | 2 comments I would recommend Gone by Michael Grant. This book kept my attention, seeing as that’s kinda difficult for books to do this was a really awesome read! It also tackled human imperfections and tendencies, through the loss of all adults leaving children and preteens to fend for themselves in a Lord of the Flies like way. I loved this book!

message 48: by Logan (new)

Logan Swanson | 2 comments I would recommend the book "The Thief" by Megan Whalen Turner. This is one of my favorite books because of all of the twist and turns. You never know what's going to happen and its full of suspense. Also the sequel is really good too!

message 49: by Chloe (new)

Chloe | 2 comments "Between the Lines" by Jodi Picoult has been a long time favorite of mine. It's a fun read that discussions the idea of fantasy characters having a life outside the story they tell, all from the view of a high schooler.

message 50: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 2 comments I will always highly recommend "The Giver" series, the first book is pretty good, but most people don't know that it is a four book series.. the second and third book are completely different novels compared to the first one, and then the final book brings all three of the different stories together by intertwining characters and places. It's a really fascinating concept, and I still remember my mind being blown the first time I read the series.

« previous 1