Books and Jams Readalong discussion

The Unseen World
This topic is about The Unseen World
The Unseen World - June 2018 > Middle (about 100-300)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
Please remember to not give away any spoilery details in this thread.

Same questions as before. What are you thinking about this book now? Has anything surprised or disappointed you? How do you like the characters? Pacing? writing style?

Jenn (sterlingmccord) I am still enjoying this book. Some of David’s motivations are becoming clearer and his actions a bit more understandable (not that I agree with them, but I can see why he has made the life choices he has). I really like Ada, but I’m a little annoyed with the author for depicting her in some ways, as the stereotypical socially awkward home-schooled kid. I wish she would have highlighted Ada’s intelligence a bit more during the middle portion of the novel. I have in enjoyed the pacing and the writing style; moving back and forth between timelines has kept my attention.

Terri  (tee_reads) | 57 comments I'm exactly 50% through the book. I started to really get drawn in after Ada was told that David might not be who they thought he was. The pacing is much better now and I'm fully invested in finding out what's going on. It really annoys me for some reason, that Liston calls Ada baby in every conversation. I have many questions at this point---just wish I had more time to read.

Jenn wrote: "I am still enjoying this book. Some of David’s motivations are becoming clearer and his actions a bit more understandable (not that I agree with them, but I can see why he has made the life choices..."

I get what you're saying about Ada, but she wasn't just going to school for the first time. She was interacting with kids her own age for the first time too. I was on board for seeing her go through that awkwardness and trying to find her place. In some ways I thought it made her more understandable. I am not mathematically minded so I wasn't connecting with her and David in that way. It all seemed a bit unrealistic.

Terri wrote: "I'm exactly 50% through the book. I started to really get drawn in after Ada was told that David might not be who they thought he was. The pacing is much better now and I'm fully invested in findin..."

Yeah, I thought that the pacing really picked up about 1/2 way through. I was interested before, but once that mystery element was included I flew through most of the rest in 2 days. I'll probably finish tonight.

Rhonda Nelson | 14 comments The middle part of this book hooked me completely! Watching Ada having to navigate her life in a completely new way while finding her place in Liston's family really tugged at me. I love Liston & Gregory and really hope that Ada understands their value to her.

Rhonda wrote: "The middle part of this book hooked me completely! Watching Ada having to navigate her life in a completely new way while finding her place in Liston's family really tugged at me. I love Liston & G..."

Things really picked up for me in this middle section too. At the beginning I wasn't really feeling connected to the characters, but could understand Ada's teenage anger and grief in this section. I also really enjoyed Ada's growing friendship with Gregory too. I was sad it didn't extend to school though.