The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2018 > 20.6 - Seasoned Reader - Balletbookworm's Task: Ballet Slippers and Books

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 06, 2018 02:32PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
20.6 Seasoned Reader – Balletbookworm’s task: Ballet Slippers and Books

This is my first time designing an SRC task and I’m so excited that it happened during this season! If you haven’t already guessed from my SRC board name, I love dance and I love books. I read far more than I dance these days (my knees and back are decades older than the rest of me at this point) but I still give myself a little ballet barre in the kitchen to scratch that dancing itch.

Choose one of the following options and read one book that fits the parameters. Required: State the option you chose. Books with the genres "Sequential Art", "Comics", "Comic Book", and "Manga," etc. are allowed for this task.

Option 1: Cherie’s Dance Studio
My parents enrolled me in my first dance class at age 3 – a little stomping around in tap shoes, flitting around in soft ballet slippers…I was hooked! My very first teacher was Cherie, the studio owner, and I took lessons from her until I was in college. Cherie not only gave me a solid dance foundation, she gave me my first job.

In honor of Cherie’s 75th birthday – she’s still teaching and her studio is in its 47th year of operation – read a book written by a single author whose initials are found in CHERIE CHITTENDEN. ALL initials count. Letters may be used only as often as they occur.

If using a book with genres "Sequential Art", "Comics", "Comic Book", and "Manga," etc. for this option, the author and illustrator must be the same person.

Option 2: Choreography
I minored in dance at the University of Iowa. The Dance Department has a highly respected MFA program in choreography, particularly in modern and contemporary dance. Every semester was packed with rehearsals and performances of brand-new pieces by undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty in every style and discipline you could think of.

For this option, read a book with a title of two or more words where the initial letter of each word can be found in CHOREOGRAPHY. Subtitles are excluded; letters may be used only as often as they occur.

Option 3: “A Case of the Knee-zles”
My favorite dance professor at the UI was Basil Thompson, who taught ballet and character dance and had a gift for dry-witted Britishisms. (If he said you had a “case of the knee-zles” then you might want to start straightening your leg in arabesque.) Basil was the original Billy Eliot, born in Manchester, England, and awarded a scholarship to train at the Royal Ballet School in the 1950s. He danced with many of the great ballet dancers of the twentieth century at both the Royal Ballet and American Ballet Theatre before retiring. He served as the artistic director of Milwaukee Ballet, then became a professor of ballet at the UI. Basil passed away in 2005.

In his memory, read a book FIRST published between 1940 and 2005 (years inclusive) AND set at least 50% in England. REQUIRED: if the setting is not obvious from the Goodreads description or metadata, please provide a reference.

Option 4: Do it with style
I’m a die-hard bunhead at heart, but all dance styles and forms are my catnip. Although I started out taking tap and ballet lessons, I soon added jazz classes. And lyrical classes. And pointe-work intensives. And modern and ballroom and hip-hop. By the time I finished with undergrad and grad school I had even managed to take classes in theatrical character dance, bhangra, kathak, flamenco, Lebanese belly dancing, Afro-Cuban, and one pole-dancing class (which I took sort-of as a joke but let me tell you how hard it is to spin around a pole with any grace and NOT make an idiot of oneself, spoiler, it is very hard).

For this option, read a book with a main character who is either a dance student or a working dancer in any dance discipline. REQUIRED: if the area of study or profession is not obvious from the Goodreads description or metadata, please link to a reference or provide a quote from the book.

BONUS karma points: Attend a live dance performance or watch a dance video.
EVEN MORE karma points: take a dance class of any kind! <3

message 2: by Melissa (last edited Jun 14, 2018 01:54PM) (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 952 comments Performance ready reads!
(these work)

Option 1:
Every Secret Thing by Emma Cole

Option 4:
The Painted Girls - ballet
Mambo in Chinatown - ballroom
The Lonely Hearts Hotel - burlesque

message 3: by Melissa (last edited Jun 05, 2018 10:08PM) (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 952 comments Needs another dress rehearsal!
(these won't work)

Option 1:
I, Zombie Vol 1: Morri pro Mundo - writer and illustrator are two separate people

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1359 comments On graphic novels. Does just the good reads author count as a single author. Does this work for option 1I, Zombie Vol 1: Morri pro Mundo

message 6: by KSMary (last edited Jun 05, 2018 04:12PM) (new)

KSMary | 859 comments Can I use The Painted Girls or Mambo in Chinatown (ballroom dance) for Opt 4?

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 952 comments JennRenee wrote: "On graphic novels. Does just the good reads author count as a single author. Does this work for option 1I, Zombie Vol 1: Morri pro Mundo"

In this instance, since the writer and illustrator of the comic are two separate people, this will not work as a single-author.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 952 comments KSMary wrote: "Can I use The Painted Girls or Mambo in Chinatown (ballroom dance) for Opt 4?"

Yes, both of those will work.

message 9: by Charlston (new)

Charlston Goch (list_addict) | 150 comments Hi, would The Lonely Hearts Hotel work with one of the twins a ‘dancer and comedian’ - sounds like a chorus girl type genre of dance. Thanks. The Lonely Hearts Hotel

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 952 comments Charlston wrote: "Hi, would The Lonely Hearts Hotel work with one of the twins a ‘dancer and comedian’ - sounds like a chorus girl type genre of dance. Thanks. The Lonely Hearts Hotel"

Yes, that will work.

message 11: by Charlston (new)

Charlston Goch (list_addict) | 150 comments Thanks

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 915 comments For option 1 can a pseudonym be used Eg EC for Emma Cole as in Every Secret Thing

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 952 comments Cindy wrote: "For option 1 can a pseudonym be used Eg EC for Emma Cole as in Every Secret Thing"

Hi Cindy,
Yes, it's clear that's a "single author" and the author of record's initials fits into the phrase. :) (idk why someone thought to present the metadata this way, it's unusual)

message 14: by Nick (last edited Jun 20, 2018 06:06AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2690 comments Hi Balletbookworm,

I just posted a read for your task. AS it happens, waaaaay back in another lifetime, I did an MA in Music at the University of Iowa, and I accompanied modern dance classes for 1 year (80-81). It was the furthest north I had ever lived, and I remember well walking the footbridge across the Iowa River in the dark to accompany a 4PM dance class, the wind whipping mercilessly at my face.

I met Basil, but only accompanied for student and visiting teachers. They were all good people. I am glad to participate in your task.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 952 comments Nick wrote: "Hi Balletbookworm,

I just posted a read for your task. AS it happens, waaaaay back in another lifetime, I did an MA in Music at the University of Iowa, and I accompanied modern dance classes for 1..."

Yay!! HI Nick! The SRC is such a small world sometimes. Although I loved Lyle's piano accompaniment in ballet class, we had such fun if he was sick and Paul came to play percussion to accompany class.