SQHS YLL discussion

Bone, Vol. 1: Out from Boneville (Bone, #1)
This topic is about Bone, Vol. 1
Bone, Vo. 1 -- Jeff Smith (posted for Sam Stroud)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika (last edited Jun 04, 2018 02:46PM) (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
Bone- Volume 1 by Jeff Smith
Reviewed by Sam Stroud

Bone is a graphic novel. Volume 1 starts off with the main character named Bone. He has two acquaintances named Smiley Bone and Phoney Bone. This story starts out in the desert, where the three have been run out of town by an angry mob. Next, the Bones’ start arguing and making noise. Eventually, this draws attention to them from locusts and they have to run away, thus getting split up. The rest of Volume 1 follows Bone on his adventures and introduces us to new characters.

I thought the first volume was a good introduction to the Bone series. The character development was very good. I felt like I got to know all the characters in the first few pages. The book has a very silly tone, which I find amusing. The pace of the book isn’t very fast; it’s medium tempo, but every page keeps you interested in what’s going to happen next. For example, when Bone is getting chased by locusts, he falls into a cavern and is then chased by rat creatures. I would recommend this book if you like action graphic novels

message 2: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
What are the main characters' goals -- just running away and staying alive, or do they have something they are after or running to?

Their names are funny, especially Phoney Bone (a fake funny bone?!). Are they significant in some way or do the names represent the characters' personalities?

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 12 comments This book sounds very interesting. Why did they get chased by a angry mob? I also like the fact that the book keeps you interested. This will be one of my summer reads.