The Pearl
This topic is about The Pearl
The Pearl

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mikey (new)

Mikey | 12 comments The Pearl by John Steinbeck
Reviewed by: Mikey Vandenhaak

The main characters in the book are Kino, who is the father, Juana, the mother and Coyotito, the son. They are a poor family living in a run-down village. The people that live in the village live just outside of the city. They are too poor to be a part of the community in the city, and they are hated for it. One day, while Kino was out fetching super with Juana and Coyotito he came across an oyster, but this oyster had something in it. What Kino does not know is that this thing inside the oyster is going to bring a lot of chaos into his life.
The book really just pissed me off. A lot of bad decisions were made on Kino’s part, and he just was looking out for himself more than his family. His mind was in the right place, but sometimes you just must try a different way to get the things you want in life. Steinbeck did a very good job at putting in details and describing situations. Even if it was the smallest thing, I always had a very good picture of what was going on. At the same time, I also think he needs to know when to move on. I remember one page in the book was all about a guy lighting a cigarette, which was too long of a description. All in all, The Pearl was a really good book to read and had all sorts of eye openers!

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam | 9 comments seems to be a great book with lots of big conflicts and mistakes. also seems like there are some good sensory detail through out the whole book, and to pull your attention towards the action.

message 3: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
Sometimes books make us mad -- I get it. But do you think Steinbeck was trying to show something, some important theme or lesson in the book?

What might the pearl represent?

message 4: by Mikey (new)

Mikey | 12 comments Sam wrote: "seems to be a great book with lots of big conflicts and mistakes. also seems like there are some good sensory detail through out the whole book, and to pull your attention towards the action."
it is a very good book. the only thing that's wrong with it is that i think Stinbeck was trying to enrage his readers!

message 5: by Mikey (new)

Mikey | 12 comments Erika wrote: "Sometimes books make us mad -- I get it. But do you think Steinbeck was trying to show something, some important theme or lesson in the book?

What might the pearl represent?"
I think Stinbeck was trying to show that, the things you want in life are hard to get. but you must not throw everything away to get the things you want. remember what true happiness is. the pearl may have brought you fortune but it will not bring but all the damage it has caused along the way

message 6: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 16 comments A perspective that is rarely shown in books is that of the poor, and I'm glad that it's being represented here. I believe that an imperfect character who makes mistakes is much better than a perfect one who has no flaws. I understand that this book could create anger but it's important to remember that Steinbeck is writing someone who is human, and might not have the knowledge or philosophy that we have. It seems like an interesting read, and I enjoyed Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men so I might read this one. Besides the book making you angry, do you think you enjoyed it altogether?

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 16 comments That sound like an inserting book to read. What happen to the poor family.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy B | 10 comments This book sound really sad. I wont be homeless and i wont be poor. I wont live out of the city because i want to live close to food supplies.

message 9: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Keeley | 8 comments What was in the oyster to cause all the chaos? Was it just a pearl?