SQHS YLL discussion

Harts Hope By Orson Scott Card

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Braedon (new)

Braedon Benson | 7 comments Orson Scott Card’s Hart’s Hope is a gritty fantasy where a princess who was raped by a usurper to the the throne is spared, she swears revenge turning into an evil witch who rules her kingdom with an iron fist. Taking her revenge on all who know or love the man who raped her. The only hope is a boy, Orem born of the king who took the throne and a village woman he must travel to the city and take it back.

Now a waring this book contains rape, cannibalism, body mutilation, and lots of bodily fluids Now this is not a feel-good book it is a crushing story about an innocent girl turned witch and an innocent boy thrown into the darkest least forgiving fantasy world I’ve ever seen. There is nothing nice about the world in this book, it is dark gritty and evil. The plot is not like your normal plot its more based on follies of men and woman. Card says this is his best work and I agree. It is a great book to experience.

message 2: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 12 comments This books sounds so interesting with the things you have shared. Was she a big princess?

message 3: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
What a grim sounding book! Card's book are usually a little dark, but this sounds downright depressing. What really surprises me is that it's a fantasy, not a sci-fi. I didn't know he wrote any fantasy.

If it's so dark, why is it so good? What makes it "his best work"?