Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Farmer Giles of Ham
This topic is about Farmer Giles of Ham
Archive Sci-fi/Fantasy Reads > Farmer Giles of Ham by JRR Tolkien (June 2018)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Jun 04, 2018 01:42PM) (new)

Lesle | 6299 comments Mod
Farmer Giles of Ham is a comic Medieval fable written by J. R. R. Tolkien in 1937 and published in 1949. The story describes the encounters between Farmer Giles and a wily dragon named Chrysophylax, and how Giles manages to use these to rise from humble beginnings to rival the king of the land.

Farmer Giles (Ægidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo, "Giles Bronze-beard Julius Farmer of Ham") is not a hero. He is fat and red-bearded and enjoys a slow, comfortable life. But a rather deaf and short-sighted giant blunders on to his land, and Giles manages to ward him away with a blunderbuss shot in his general direction. The people of the village cheer: Farmer Giles has become a hero. His reputation spreads across the kingdom, and he is rewarded by the King with a sword named Caudimordax ("Tailbiter")—which turns out to be a powerful weapon against dragons.

message 2: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Rosemarie | 8957 comments Mod
I read this story today and loved it. I think it would be great for reading aloud to older kids, especially if they like dragons.

Phil J | 83 comments I have read a fair bit of Tolkien. He rarely uses a lighter tone, and this book makes me wish he'd done it more often. The only comparison I can think of is the seed cakes portion of The Hobbit.

message 4: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new)

Patrick | 655 comments Mod
I really enjoyed the book. I first read it when I was in middle school so this was in need of a reread. I love a good Tolkien book.

message 5: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Lesle | 6299 comments Mod
Patrick
I did find a PDF version that actually has several stories in it for our readers that might be interested:

http://1.droppdf.com/files/ww8AQ/tale...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hobbit (other topics)