Our Shared Shelf discussion

Chat and Meet for "Country Here" > Feminism in Singapore

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daryl (new)

Daryl Goh | 3 comments I think it's about time to have this conversation in one of the youngest developed nation in the world. Singapore is getting more attention and so should feminism in the little red dot.
Would love to hear about the great women in Singapore and even in neighbouring countries. We need more role models for girls and women in Singapore and in Asia at large.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (katetakate) | 96 comments Hi, I used to live in Singapore and volunteered with Aidha NGO, which provides financial literacy programmes such as money management, computer literacy, leadership and entrepreneurial skills for foreign domestic workers and lower-income women on Sundays.

There's a growing number of NGOs out there supporting feminist issues, perhaps already on your radar but here's a list of a few, FYI:
* Singapore UN Women,
* AWARE
* Aidha
* HOME
* Project X Singapore
* Women on a Mission
* TEDx Singapore Women
* Our Better World

The above have events and share FB posts of local and regional stories highlighting feminism and individuals, and I found they were great opportunities to connect with like-minded folks and learn more too.

message 3: by Daryl (new)

Daryl Goh | 3 comments I heard of Aidha and some of the others before. They're all doing really great work.

Some of these organizations have actually worked with a local online video program, WomenTalk, pushing for women's empowerment in Asia! The most recent collaboration I know is with UN Women for a STEM series.

Incidentally, the creator of the program written a book and they're crowdfunding it on Indiegogo now. I got already backed it and can't wait to get my copy for my niece!

message 4: by Daryl (new)

Daryl Goh | 3 comments Oh, totally forgot.. The book is titled "I'm a girl. See what I can be!" just in case anyone is interested in backing it too.

message 5: by Lidia (new)

Lidia | 2 comments Hi! I just figured how the OSS group is organised and I am thrilled to see a conversation about Singapore!

I joined OSS with the hope of meeting other book lovers and I would love to meet some living in Singapore, where I live since 2014.

Anyone keen to have a chat on feminism and literature? Or anything really?

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan Cheang | 97 comments Hello! Who here loves feminist YA fiction?

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan Cheang | 97 comments PS: does anybody know where to borrow the book "Fierce Femmes and Notorious Liars"?

message 8: by Lidia (new)

Lidia | 2 comments I downloaded the pdf version from the publisher’s website (here: https://metonymypress.com/product/fie...) and it is perfectly fine.

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan Cheang | 97 comments Lidia wrote: "I downloaded the pdf version from the publisher’s website (here: https://metonymypress.com/product/fie...) and it is perfectly fine."

That is generous, but I was hoping for a free reading, hence the library option, which turned out to be a dead end... Shame, I really wanted to read this book.