The Cosy Bookish Corner discussion

Archived BOTM Discussions > June BOTM Discussion - The Girl You Left Behind

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Tanya (tanya23510) | 432 comments Mod
Hello Everyone!!

Thank you all for voting and I can confirm that the winning BOTM for June will be .... The Girl You Left Behind !!

Hope you all enjoy it and here are some questions to get the cosy chat started!

Part of the book is based in France in 1916 during the First World War. Have you ever read historical fiction before? If so, from what era?

The book revolves around Sophie's and Liv's lives which are very different and yet they are connected. Did you enjoy reading about their connection or did you wish that they would have been more connected? Do you also have a similar connection with somebody in the past that you have never met, maybe a family member?

Did you prefer to read the chapters about Sophie or the ones about Liv?

If you would have been in Sophie's difficult position, do you feel that you would have done anything differently?

message 2: by T-Chan (new)

T-Chan (t-chankawaii) Currently on page 180. I really enjoyed the beginning part set in WW1, it truly felt raw and emotional and set the scene perfectly for the time period it takes place in. It started getting hard to read once the book came into Part 2; I find Liv to be an remarkably boring character and Paul is about the same. Trying to slog through the romance felt like a chore. After a while, I didn't even want to pick up the book. I think I'll have to mark this as a DNF.

message 3: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

RadicalJack wrote: "Currently on page 180. I really enjoyed the beginning part set in WW1, it truly felt raw and emotional and set the scene perfectly for the time period it takes place in. It started getting hard to ..."

Sorry you felt that way, but I do know what you mean! (view spoiler)

Please feel free to read any past BOTM and join in on the discussion there if you want!

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Aldrich (maggiealdrich) | 4 comments Just downloaded it! Anxious to get started. I like Jojo Moyes.

message 5: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Maggie wrote: "Just downloaded it! Anxious to get started. I like Jojo Moyes."

Hope you enjoy it!

message 6: by Isabel (new)

Isabel | 28 comments So I just finished the book.

Ill go by parts:

I love historical novels I read a couple of the Ken Follet books, the trilogy of The fall of the giants talk about the World wars each book focusing on one where everything is connected. I read the first 2 and loved them. And I also read the pillars of the earth by Ken Follet talks about the middle age. is also awesome. I read The seamstress by Maria Dueñas and Tell me who I am by Julia Navarro where are more focus on the Spanish civil war they are also amazing.

There are two books on the top of my historical novels to read that are The Taster by V S Alexander and The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell.

I liked the book a lot overall. For some reason I liked way mover Liv part than Sophies part. Don't take me wrong I think when I start the book my mind was completely flying somewhere else it has taken me longer than it usually takes me to read a book. Although I felt for Sophie and everything she goes through it kind of took me forever to read her part but as soon as I got to Liv, I just could not stop reading.

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Glad you enjoyed it! I actually had the opposite experience, as i preferred Sophie's story - I have a soft spot for anything WW2 related so thats probably why i preferred Sophie's story so much more...

(view spoiler)

Can anyone reccomend any historical fiction books similar to Sophie's story?

message 8: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelso30) | 82 comments I have read a lot of historical fiction, I love getting lost in another time. Gone With The Wind is the only one coming to me right now though.
I had a harder time with this book than I normally do, it just wasn't a book that made me say "I couldn't put it down". The second half of the book did seem to go faster, but if I hadn't paid for it I may not have finished it. It was a good book, I just didn't get sucked into the story.
I will say I liked both parts equally. Both characters had qualities that were interesting. I didn't necessarily feel like the connection between them was that strong though.
(view spoiler)
Sophie was in a horrible position, I don't think anyone knows what they will, or are capable of doing until they are faced with it. (view spoiler)

message 9: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Kelsey wrote: "I have read a lot of historical fiction, I love getting lost in another time. Gone With The Wind is the only one coming to me right now though.
I had a harder time with this book than I normally d..."

Very good points!