Art Lovers discussion

Poetry > A wonderful review...

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1957 comments ...of my latest book. It's so interesting to see one's work through other eyes. Especially when they really get it.

https://mailchi.mp/c261ae5a55f2/stick...

message 2: by Heather (last edited Jul 07, 2018 09:03AM) (new)

Heather | 8542 comments I wanted to return to more of Ruth's poetry. I read this full review and it's outstanding! I want to quote a few of the lines from the review that I thought were right on, I completely agree though of course, the reviewer words his or her praise with much more eloquence.

" REVIEW #12: No Longer at This Address

"...a photo-realistic still life of a goldfish bowl, a broken wineglass, and a pearl necklace, objects with highly reflective surfaces that bend and curve light. It’s a fitting introduction to the book, which contains poems that look at the past through the eclipsing lens of time. (Cover painting created by Ruth Bavetta, also)

Many of the poems in this book are concerned with the decline and death of Bavetta’s mother. In “Keys,” keys are a metaphor for the mother’s deepening confusion:

“I have all these keys,”
she says, “but I can’t make them fit anything.”

In a similar vein, “Elegy for My Mother” illustrates the ache the speaker has for the mother she’s lost twice, once to dementia and once to death.

In these poems, the ordinariness of death and the passing of time do not diminish them. Bavetta’s close examination elevates these undeniable facts of life, giving them a multi-lensed effect like the objects in the cover painting.

I enjoyed the whole review, these lines just resonated with me and I completely concur, though I couldn't say it better.

Well done, Ruth and congratulations!

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1957 comments Oh my goodness, Heather, thank you. That’s one of my paintings on the cover, btw.

message 4: by Heather (last edited Jul 07, 2018 09:02AM) (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Ruth wrote: "Oh my goodness, Heather, thank you. That’s one of my paintings on the cover, btw."

I remember when you first introduced the painting (I'm sorry I can't remember when that was) And you mentioned that you had done the picture. I have always thought that you have an excellent grasp, talent, whatever you call it, on painting glass! It is amazing!

In fact, I need to add that to my post--that you are the one who did the paining. I'll edit it now.