Play Book Tag discussion

The Sugar Queen
This topic is about The Sugar Queen
June 2018: Magical Realism > The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen -- 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
3 stars

Sarah Addison Allen is always a sure bet for a feel-good magical realism book. I enjoyed this story, but it was definitely not my favorite of hers.

Josey is a 27-year-old woman who lives with her overbearing, judgmental, and controlling mother in a small ski town in North Carolina, a ski town centered around the economy of the local resort that Josey's father built. After living a relatively friendless existence, Josey finds herself surround by the drama of a whole cast of characters, including the effervescent Chloe and the handsome Adam.

Y'all, I honestly just kind of thought this was sad. So, the whole premise of Josey's life is that she has zero love and support for her mother and so she secretly seeks some kind of fulfillment by eating candy and other junk food in her closet! I just think that is sad and depressing. And almost like the start of one of those horrible weekend movies they made in the early 90's that stars a girl (Tracey Gold) with bulimia. I don't know, maybe because I struggle with my weight, but it really hit the wrong chord with me.

On the flip side, I LOVED that Chloe magically had the exact book she needed appear at the exact time she needed it. I have found myself wondering what books would show up for me at various times. (Example: now would probably be something about being productive at work and not being distracted by book websites!).

Overall, the story was cute, the characters were sugary sweet, and everyone (even the crappy mom) ended up with a happy ending. What more could you ask for from SAA?

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9384 comments Sarah Addison Allen is sort of just solid threes for me in general. Light and fun.

message 3: by Karin (new) - added it

Karin | 7480 comments My stars for this didn't carry over from Shelfari, but I think this was 3 stars for me as well.

message 4: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5160 comments I gave it 4 stars, as are most of her books for me. My only 3-star was Waking Kate. Garden Spells was 4.5, rounded up t 5.

message 5: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I'm reading The Peach Keeper and it's not holding up to the SAA I wanted. I really liked The Girl Who Chased the Moon, but this was is proving meh so far.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Joi wrote: "I'm reading The Peach Keeper and it's not holding up to the SAA I wanted. I really liked The Girl Who Chased the Moon, but this was is proving meh so far."

Have you read any of hers other than The Girl Who Chased the Moon? I also really liked Lost Lake--both of those got 4 stars from me.

Garden Spells, First Frost, and The Sugar Queen all got three stars, though I have very fond memories of Garden Spells and am surprised I did not give it 4 stars.

I may still get to The Peach Keeper. A 3 star magical realism books is still not a bad way to spend the day!

message 7: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I've only read the one. I actually had to go back to read my review about what the plot was, but I gave it 4 stars, the detail I remember the most was the changing wallpaper. Very magical realism.

So far this one hasn't been as "magical realism'y" as I expected.

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments I've read only one book by this author - Garden Spells. I was not impressed. Only 2**

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments Joi wrote: "I'm reading The Peach Keeper and it's not holding up to the SAA I wanted. I really liked The Girl Who Chased the Moon, but this was is proving meh so far."

Peach Keeper was my least favorite of SAA but, in general, I really enjoy her books.

message 10: by Jgrace (new) - added it

Jgrace | 3112 comments I didn’t get past the first chapter of this one. I always meant to give it another try,but the bit about hiding snacks and eating in the closet put me off. I wasn’t fond of the audiobook reader so I should get the text.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Jgrace wrote: "the bit about hiding snacks and eating in the closet put me off...."

Yeah, that definitely brought down my rating. As the book progresses, the focus is less and less on that and it shifts to the pretty decent supporting characters, but it was still off putting.

message 12: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Barbara wrote: "Peach Keeper was my least favorite of SAA."

That is good to know, I'm over halfway now and it's picked up a bit, but seems disappointing compared to The Girl who Chased the Moon.