1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up discussion

Matilda
This topic is about Matilda
Monthly Book Club > August 2014: Matilda

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 36 comments Hello readers!

RachelvlehcaR (Rachel) will be your discussion leader, and has set up the following reading schedule:
❉ Read at your own pace all of August. :)
❉ August 1st-31st.

For the month of August, we'll be reading Matilda for our chapter book of the month. Here’s from the blurb from the book jacket: "Matilda Wormwood’s father is a mean crooked crook. And her mother’s just plain stupid. They think Matilda is a nuisance who should watch more TV and read fewer books! But her lovely teacher Miss Honey thinks Matilda is a genius. Matilda has a few extraordinary tricks up her sleeve, so her horrible parents and even more horrible headmistress had better watch out."

Here are two Book Trailers about the book, enjoy! Book Trailer 1 and Book Trailer 2.

Also, please check out the 1996 movie. Matilda Movie on Youtube. I feel Danny DeVito did a great job directing the movie. It’s a great compliment to the book and wonderful extra to our book read. It might even be fun to compare the two.

Please feel free to read the book now in one chunk, read little bits through out the month, or read and reply on the 31st of August. I only ask that you use spoilers when posting.

Here are the Chapters for Matilda:
❉ The Reader of Books
❉ Mr. Wormwood, the Great Car Dealer
❉ The Hat and the Superglue
❉ The Ghost
❉ Arithmetic
❉ The Platinum-Blond Man
❉ Miss Honey
❉ The Trunchbull
❉ The Parents
❉ Throwing the Hammer
❉ Bruce Bogtrotter and the Cake
❉ Lavendery
❉ The Weekly Test
❉ The First Miracle
❉ The Second Miracle
❉ Miss Honey’s Cottage
❉ Miss Honey’s Story
❉ The Names
❉ The Practice
❉ The Third Miracle
❉ A New Home.

Happy Reading everyone! Looking forward to our discussion.

Fariba (fariba33) I'm super excited to do this read-along as I'm a huge Roald Dahl fan! The film adaptation is also excellent.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 36 comments Fariba, great to have you in the book read. I did have this originally chopped up into four chunks for the month however I've noticed there isn't many that do the discussion. Perhaps having this as read any way you like might help get more discussion. :)

Looking forward to reading this book with you.

Melissa Coyle | 16 comments This is my first Roald Dahl book and will be looking forward to the discussion. (view spoiler)

Looking forward to the movie, also!

Rora (ffyreflyy) | 6 comments Melissa - welcome to the wonderful world of Roald Dahl!

I love so many of his books, but Matilda is possibly my favorite. I definitely could identify with such a precocious and voracious reader! The movie also did a really good job of capturing the whimsy of the book. I can't wait to reread this one!

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 36 comments I read the entire story today. I like the story a lot. I have to say they did a great job with the film.

She is one heck of an amazing reader. (view spoiler)

1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

J.R.R. Tolkien (other topics)