The YA Book Club discussion

Fast Backward
This topic is about Fast Backward
Authors Folder > Fast Backward Hits the Shelves

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Jun 04, 2018 08:09AM) (new) - added it

David Patneaude | 9 comments Fast Backward, my new YA entry in the alternative history/sci-fi genre, is now three days old and flourishing. Here's one of many great reviews: “David Patneaude's frightening ‘What if?’ alternative history will have young readers turning pages to find out what happens next and also turning to history books to educate themselves about the horrors of World War II. What an accomplishment!”—Carl Deuker, award winning author of numerous celebrated novels for young adults, including Heart of a Champion, Swagger, and his newest, Gutless (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)

message 2: by David (new) - added it

David Patneaude | 9 comments Another five-star Amazon review for FAST BACKWARD, this one by book blogger extraordinaire Miranda Reads!

Customer Review
Miranda Reads
5.0 out of 5 stars. An absolutely riveting read! Hats off to the author!
January 11, 2019
Format: Paperback
Bobby Hastings is about to experience one heck of an adventure.

Things are normal (for the most part) in his neck of the woods. His folks are normal, his uncle is normal - life is stretching out to be one stroll through normalville.

The only thing remotely interesting is that he's the paperboy for the local "secret" government lab and while he's never privy to their agenda, he keeps his ears pricked for information.

Well...that was until there was an atomic bomb explosion and the naked girl shows up in front of him - claiming that she's from the future.

And what a terrible future that is. Hitler won and the world was remade in his honor.

Bobby knows he's never going to think his life is normal again.

The future girl (Cocoa) spent her life studying "history" (Bobby's future) and remembers most of the key, terrible events that devastated their world - but there's gaps in her memory and with a wild story like hers, how will they get anyone to believe them?

I really liked this one! I'm usually not a fan of war stories but when I saw it had a history rewrite/time travel twist to it - I knew I had to read it.

I really appreciated that (for once!) we have a YA with two stable, loving parents and extended family members. I loved all the animals included - especially Lolly and Big Muddy! Animals always make a book shine.

I was rather satisfied with the plot - for once everything is wonderfully logical.

Overall - great characters, intriguing plot, well-done dialogue and above all - a fun read.