Cannonball Readers discussion

Featured Reviews > June 2018

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Obsidian (new)

Obsidian | 152 comments 5/31 and Fri 6/1

Do you know the premise of next week's #CannonBookClub choice, Kindred by Octavia Butler? An African American woman is thrown back in time and to ensure her own existence, has to save her slave-owning ancestor. Sound interesting? You've got one week, so get going! To whet your appetite for conversation, check out faintingviolet's discussion topic suggestions, and be sure pop over to the CBR website on June 8-9.

Discussion questions link: https://cannonballread.com/2018/05/di...

Amazon affiliate link: http://amzn.to/2DMbaQS

message 2: by Obsidian (new)

Obsidian | 152 comments Monday 6/4

Before getting into her review of Margaret Atwood's Alias Grace, jkbuscher wants to acknowledge that Atwood herself is problematic. However, as a gifted writer, Atwood creates a complex narrative that leaves the reader uncertain if Grace is mad or gets away with murder. "I continue to be drawn to the long history of how our mental health as women is weaponized against us &/or used to control us." Who are your favorite problematic authors? (Cannonball Read 10)

message 3: by Obsidian (new)

Obsidian | 152 comments Tuesday 6/5

British actor Brian Blessed has had a long career, though you may not be familiar with much of his work. LittlePlat says that should not deter you from listening to Blessed read his own memoir, Absolute Pandemonium: My Louder Than Life Story. "Listening to this book is like having your old grandad exuberantly telling you stories of his past while sitting in the comfiest chair in your lounge, cheerfully helping himself to all your tea and bikkies." Do you know Blessed from his panel show appearances or perhaps the cheesetastic Flash Gordon? (Cannonball Read 10)

message 4: by Obsidian (new)

Obsidian | 152 comments Wednesday 6/6

When you were growing up, did you see people like you in the books you read? Patrick Ness did not, now he writes them and advocates for greater LGBTQ representation in YA literature. Seth, the main character in Ness' More Than This has made several lists of LGBTQ characters you should know. Of Ness' writing, Carriejay says, "He often leaves me unsettled, and definitely makes me think." (Cannonball Read 10)

message 5: by Obsidian (new)

Obsidian | 152 comments Thursday 6/7
Cannonballers who read Romance have said for years that Courtney Milan is the best romance writer working today. Alwaysanswerb tackles her latest release, After the Wedding, and explores what it is about Milan that puts her on a different level. "She explores the sophisticated milieu of how relationships between men and women … are impacted by the various forces of their cultures and how they grow and survive together by identifying and fighting those harmful agents." Have you read Courtney Milan yet? (Cannonball Read 10)

message 6: by Obsidian (new)

Obsidian | 152 comments Monday 6/11

Narfna warns that this review of Madeline Miller's Circe is not a review at all. It is her feelings. "Okay, I got up and took a couple of laps around my apartment and picked up my cat and put my face on her tummy, and now I'm feeling more sane." Narfna expects Miller to join the pantheon of authors she reads every year - Austen, Tolkien, and Rowling. Do you know right away when a book is going to become one of your classics? (Cannonball Read 10)

message 7: by Obsidian (new)

Obsidian | 152 comments Tuesday 6/12

Congratulations to Roxane Gay! Last week, Lambda Literary awarded her with their Trustee Award and also Best Bisexual Nonfiction for her book Hunger: A Memoir Of (My) Body. "As a woman, as a black woman, as a queer woman, writing has offered me salvation and sanctuary." Cannonballers have reviewed her fiction, her nonfiction and her contributions to the Black Panther comics. Are you part of the Roxane Gay fan club? (Cannonball Read 10)

message 8: by Obsidian (new)

Obsidian | 152 comments Wednesday 6/13

New Cannonballer Zoe picked up Clifford Simak's The Way Station on iO9's recommendation. This deeply hopeful novel about positive first contact between human and aliens won a Hugo Award in 1964. "It has that Cold War sensitivity to nuclear annihilation, but there's also a lot about how the connections with nature and other human beings make us human." Are you familiar with Clifford Simak? Are there other older science fiction writers we ought to rediscover? (Cannonball Read 10)

message 9: by Obsidian (new)

Obsidian | 152 comments Thursday 6/14

Happy Flag Day! Lollygagger enjoyed Tim Marshall's book on the geography of politics so much she picked up Worth Dying For: The Power and Politics of Flags as a vacation read. She finished it in two days. "It's not just an explanation of the symbolism of flags (though it is that); it's a look at how the flags are viewed by those who fall under them, and by those who are outside them." How much do you think about the meaning and power of flags? (Cannonball Read 10)

message 10: by Obsidian (new)

Obsidian | 152 comments Friday 6/15 and Sunday 6/17

If Fifty Shades Of Grey had been well, written, funny, profound, about two gay men, with no consent issues, Julia in Austin says it would be How to Bang a Billionaire by Alexis Hall. Unfortunate title aside, "Hall has a way of getting at the heart of a character and story, social and cultural issues with the mundane, the everyday, the obvious once stated." Are you willing to take a chance on a book with a great recommendation despite the title? (Cannonball Read 10)

message 11: by Obsidian (new)

Obsidian | 152 comments Monday 6/18

Leedock was intrigued when Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal was considered by her book club and then was surprised to find it is a Reese Witherspoon Book Club recommendation. Jaswal uses a writing class for widows at a Punjabi community center in London to explore. "The class is not just a way for the women to express themselves. It is an awareness that they are not alone and that they are one voice of many." Are you more or less likely to read a book recommended by a famous person? (Cannonball Read 10)

message 12: by Obsidian (new)

Obsidian | 152 comments Tuesday 6/19

Llp read and reread all of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books as a child. Caroline Fraser's biography, Prairie Fires: The American Dream of Laura Ingalls Wilder presents a nuanced picture of Wilder and her daughter, Rose Wilder Lane, and the time in which they lived. "It is so much, but also very enjoyable to read and extraordinarily well written, and is prescient of the current American political climate." Did you read the books or watch the show growing up? (Cannonball Read 10)

message 13: by Obsidian (new)

Obsidian | 152 comments Wednesday 6/20

KimMiE" is so sorry that she waited nearly half a century to read Ursula K. Le Guin. She picked up the Penguin Galaxy edition of The Left Hand of Darkness, which has an introduction by Le Guin. "I don't think I've ever been so completely won over by an author on the basis of an introduction, but reading Le Guin's set-up to her own novel, I decided I liked this woman and had done myself a great disservice in waiting so long to explore her work." Have you read this groundbreaking work? (Cannonball Read 10)