Reading with Style discussion

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments For the summer season, we are not using our Review Style. However, there are frequently books we read that we would like to chat about or share our thoughts. Please feel free to use this thread to talk about the books you are reading.

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2597 comments Well, yay for this thread! I always enjoy reading my fellow RwS reader's reviews, so will be happy to see commentary on this season's books.

message 3: by Valerie (last edited Jun 04, 2018 03:00PM) (new)

Valerie Brown | 2597 comments I just finished News of the World - I can't say enough good things about this novel. It's not your typical Louis L'Amour western novel (which I do read and enjoy, as well). If you have been casting around for a book for this task, 20.2 , I would recommend this.

message 4: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 04, 2018 03:36PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12762 comments Valerie wrote: "I just finished News of the World - I can't say enough good things about this novel. It's not your typical Louis L'Amour western novel (which I do read and enjoy, as we..."

I bought that not too long ago when it was a Kindle deal. I'll pencil it in. (I have so many titles I could read for this challenge ...)

EDIT: And I just looked, I have this shelved because GR friends recommended it, and everyone who has read it has given it either 5 stars or 4 stars. "Lovely, lovely book" one wrote.

message 5: by Karin (last edited Jun 04, 2018 03:40PM) (new)

Karin Valerie wrote: "I just finished News of the World - I can't say enough good things about this novel. It's not your typical Louis L'Amour western novel (which I do read and enjoy, as we..."

I liked this one, too. I am a fan of her novels.

message 6: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2597 comments Karin wrote: "Valerie wrote: "I just finished News of the World - I can't say enough good things about this novel. It's not your typical Louis L'Amour western novel (which I do read ..."

I don't know why I haven't heard of her before - I guess there are just too may authors + too many books to read. Still, a nice discovery.

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2597 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Valerie wrote: "I just finished News of the World - I can't say enough good things about this novel. It's not your typical Louis L'Amour western novel (which I do read ..."

I will be giving it 5*. Unfortunately, I had to read it in an interrupted manner, but I still loved the narrative + noticed some lovely turn of phrase. Those moments reminded me of Marilynne Robinson.

message 8: by Karin (new)

Karin Valerie wrote: "
I don't know why I haven't heard of her before - I guess there are just too may authors + too many books to read. Still, a nice discovery. ."

There are so many authors. I first heard of hers from a friend of my mother's back when I was writing a novel I stupidly destroyed (no, I haven't published any books), a former editor who was a friend of Jiles during the time she lived in Canada. The first book I read by her, different than News of the World, and I've read it twice (4 stars both times) isEnemy Women. I've read five of her novels, and three of them were 4 stars for me, and the other two 3 stars. That's very good for me as I virtually never like all of an author's books at 4 or more stars once they've written more than 2.

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1450 comments I really enjoyed her The Color Of Lightning.

message 10: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2597 comments itpdx wrote: "I really enjoyed her The Color Of Lightning."

That's interesting, Britt Johnson plays a tiny (but pivotal) role in News of the World.

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Valerie wrote: "I just finished News of the World - I can't say enough good things about this novel. It's not your typical Louis L'Amour western novel (which I do read and enjoy, as we..."

Glad to hear! I have that one slated for 20.2 as well. My husband bought it for me a while back but I hadn't gotten around to it yet.

message 12: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4659 comments Sam wrote: "Valerie wrote: "I just finished News of the World - I can't say enough good things about this novel. It's not your typical Louis L'Amour western novel (which I do read ..."

Me too! I'm excited to read it.

message 13: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 13, 2018 07:06PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4475 comments I thought you all were talking about Louis L'Amour as a female! I was confused! Then I read the book was by Paulette Jiles

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2597 comments Rebekah wrote: "I thought you all were talking about Louis L'Amour as a female! I was confused! Then I read the book was by Paulette Jiles"

Yes, ha, ha..... I should have been more specific.

message 15: by Kathleen (itpdx) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1450 comments I have just finished Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry
Wow! This is the first book I have read by Berry. It is both regional and universal. I enjoyed it very much. He has written other fiction as well as poetry and essays. Has anyone else read his books? What did you think?

message 16: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1468 comments itpdx wrote: "I have just finished Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry
Wow! This is the first book I have read by Berry. It is both regional and universal. I enjoyed it very much. He has..."

Yes, I've read three of his books and Jayber Crow was my favorite. The books bring us back to simpler times in a small town, but human nature always stays the same.

message 17: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 25, 2018 10:12AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4475 comments itpdx wrote: "I have just finished Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry
Wow! This is the first book I have read by Berry. It is both regional and universal. I enjoyed it very much. He has..."

One of my favorite authors.

message 18: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4475 comments I’ve been discovering Bessie Head I really am enjoying her books although A Question of Power still has me confused. Reading When Rain Clouds Gather made more sense of it. It’s very earthy and grounded and gave me a better sense of an African’s experience in South Africa and the relative freedom of Botswana. The former book was related her her own mental breakdown from which much insight was gained and invoked Greek Gods, the Christian and Muslim God, Satan and Buddha. She was a philosopher but her life was too short.

message 19: by Karin (last edited Jun 28, 2018 02:12PM) (new)

Karin Rebekah wrote: "I thought you all were talking about Louis L'Amour as a female! I was confused! Then I read the book was by Paulette Jiles"

And I thought of Paulette Jiles first. I think I have read one Louis L'Amour book and it was when I was 10. I made a new friend who was also a precocious reader (as was I), and she introduced me to a western writer and scif--the scifi stuck (I'm talking about Robert Heinlein as my first read, and not one of the ones for younger readers--her nickname at school was brainyard, a play on her last name).

However, I've read five novels by Jiles so far.

message 20: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2597 comments I just finished The Lotus Eaters, and thought it was absolutely fantastic. It qualifies for 10.3 or 20.4, in case you are looking for a book for one of those tasks.