Play Book Tag discussion

American War
This topic is about American War
Archive: Other Books > American War - Omar El Akkad

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments American War is a dystopian novel that begins as the Second American Civil War breakTs out in 2074. It follows the trajectory of Sarat Chestnut, a child when the war breaks out, and challenges the reader to put themselves in the shoes of those in the world who are displaced. It shows us that it is possible to create a terrorist in any nation with the right combination of factors. There were times when I felt distanced from the story given that I am not American and have what I would define as a basic understanding of the lived civil unrest in the country, as well as a basic understanding of the geography. Half way through the novel I thought that a 3.5 star rating was shaping up to be appropriate, however I found the second half to be more engaging and I was able to feel an emotional connection that I hadn't felt in the first half. In the end I feel as though it is worthy of four stars. The concept was interesting, the writing was above average, and I was compelled to finish and hear how it all played out. Book Riot mentioned that it was as if Jesmyn Ward had written The Road, and I think that is a major stretch, but nonetheless I felt that it was worthy of my time. The audiobook was very well done.

For Denizen.

Nicole D. | 1497 comments that's a weird analogy. Those Book Riot folks are funny.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Ugh, that book riot reference is way off!

I agree that the audiobook was well done.

Also, I believe this is tagged magical realism (and I think fits) if you want to move it to that folder.

Susie | 4488 comments I disagreed about the tag so I didn’t put it there! You think it is? I I didn’t think there was anything magical about it.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Susie wrote: "I disagreed about the tag so I didn’t put it there! You think it is? I I didn’t think there was anything magical about it."

No! I was totally thinking of Exit West. Forgive me. Exit West, American War, Monday brain, it is all scrambled.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Also explains why I thought the Book Riot description was so off! lol.

Ugh, just ignore me over here. My whole day has been like this.

Susie | 4488 comments Phew! I thought I had my genres all wrong!