AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

Jubilee's Journey (Wyattsville, #2)
This topic is about Jubilee's Journey
First Winner & Jubilee's Journey

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bette (last edited Jun 04, 2018 04:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bette Crosby (bette_lee_crosby) | 29 comments Jubilee’s Journey is the second book in the Wyattsville Series. It doesn’t start in that town, but it ends up there when two orphans start out looking for an aunt they’ve only heard about. The tale begins in the coal mining hills of West Virginia, which is where my mom grew up.

Much of the setting and feel of that time and place comes from the stories my mom told and the summer visits when we would spend 3 weeks at my aunt’s farm in the mountains. My uncle was a coal miner. They had four children, lived in a tiny house that had 4 rooms, a coal stove in the kitchen, no electricity, no central heat and no plumbing. Yet, those kids grew up with such great family values and respect for education that they all four became professionals- three teachers and one pastor.

Jubilee’s Journey captures the hardships of such a life in those times. But it is also a story of hope, courage, and resilience.

I loved writing this book because it actually is part of my family heritage. Is there a part of your heritage you'd like to share here?

The winner of the e-book copy of Spare Change is Heather Clark.
Congratulations Heather! Please (Facebook) message with the format you read on (Kindle, iBooks

message 2: by Laurice (new)

Laurice | 3 comments Thx for the chance

message 3: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Smith (lindasmith-abookninja) | 6 comments Growing up our family didn't have much so my Mom worked to support the family. My Dad had physical and some mental issues so life wasn't always easy for Mom. She rarely was bitter or resentful about it though. We always knew that we were loved and they did the best they could for my two sisters and I. Jubilee is the book of yours that I have most longed to read so am thrilled to throw my hat in the ring for this one.

message 4: by Cora (new) - added it

Cora Hannold | 3 comments Congratulations Heather!! I would love to read Jubilee's Journey. It sounds like a great book!! Thank you for the chance!

message 5: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana  (dianabjarkofahrenbruck) Love your books and looking forward to this one too.

message 6: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Thank you so much for Spare Change I can't wait to read it! My parents are Scottish and came to Canada in 1965. I still love to go there to visit family. So much history and mysticism. Love anything Scottish!

message 7: by Jeanineitsme (new)

Jeanineitsme | 5 comments It's an interesting part. During prohibition, my family made money by buying a flatboat and taking parties out on the lake for the evening. There, they were able to drink without the fear of being busted in on by the police.

Bette Crosby (bette_lee_crosby) | 29 comments Linda wrote: "Growing up our family didn't have much so my Mom worked to support the family. My Dad had physical and some mental issues so life wasn't always easy for Mom. She rarely was bitter or resentful abou..."

Laurice wrote: "Thx for the chance"

Given that story of your family Linda, I'm sure you would enjoy this book. It is a story of a family with more love than money...but there things money can't buy.

Bette Crosby (bette_lee_crosby) | 29 comments Cora wrote: "Congratulations Heather!! I would love to read Jubilee's Journey. It sounds like a great book!! Thank you for the chance!"

Good Luck Cora

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 78 comments Congratulations Heather!
Jubilee’s Journey is on my wish list! It sounds very good. Thanks for the chance!

Bette Crosby (bette_lee_crosby) | 29 comments Heather wrote: "Thank you so much for Spare Change I can't wait to read it! My parents are Scottish and came to Canada in 1965. I still love to go there to visit family. So much history and mysticism. Love anythin..."

This is definitely not Scottish, it is set in Virginia. ~she said with a smile~

Bette Crosby (bette_lee_crosby) | 29 comments Jeanineitsme wrote: "It's an interesting part. During prohibition, my family made money by buying a flatboat and taking parties out on the lake for the evening. There, they were able to drink without the fear of being ..."

That is a great story Jeanine. That would be a fun thing to use in a story, oh,oh, watch out, I just might use it someday.

Bette Crosby (bette_lee_crosby) | 29 comments Diana wrote: "Love your books and looking forward to this one too."

Thank you so much Diana, good luck!

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Artson (barbara_artson) | 21 comments What an awesome account of individuals who despite hardship find the inner resources and resilience to overcome the pain to find values and meaning in their lives. Brava!