Daphne Du Maurier Project discussion

June - The Loving Spirit > The Loving Spirit - Thoughts and Discussion

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ange (new)

Ange | 22 comments Mod
Here we can discuss the Loving Spirit

message 2: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (tamm1) | 2 comments I have just ordered a copy from the library hopefully will be here in a couple of days and I can’t wait to get started 🙂 such a great project

message 3: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (ashleighsbookshelf) | 1 comments I read this a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. Honestly it’s one of my favourite of her novels. You can tell she was younger just by her way with words but it still has all her trademark themes.

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did 💜

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Moro (moro) | 7 comments I just downloaded the eBook from Amazon. Looking forward to reading a new (for me) Du Maurier novel!

message 5: by Ange (new)

Ange | 22 comments Mod
So glad you all will be joining me :) I'll probably be reading The Loving Spirit next week sometime

message 6: by Shirley (new)

Shirley I,ve just requested it from my library .There wasn't a queue for it so hopefully I will get it in time

message 7: by Dianna (new)

Dianna Just requested it from a nearby library branch. Probably will get it in the next week! I'm excited for this project. I read and loved two of Du Maurier's books as a teenager, and I've always wanted to come back to her.

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (cloudbusting) All ready to go! Looking forward to this as I’ve only read Rebecca and loved it!

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex (arivyerg) I just finished reading the first chapter... the writing is so beautiful!

message 10: by Sue (new)

Sue Moro (moro) | 7 comments I wasn't expecting a multi-generational novel. I thought the plot would only be focused on Janet.

message 11: by Noël (new)

Noël (the_book_rook) | 9 comments Downloaded!

message 12: by Hana (new)

Hana | 7 comments Hi all I downloaded the book and started reading it and it’s so far so good. The writing style is beautiful and the events are amusing. But I was wondering when we’re all going to read it together. I’m reading very slowly though I want to finish it today if can. But I’m waiting for you all to read it with me.

message 13: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Mikkelson (readingbugg) | 1 comments My copy just came in today at my library
Nobody has the next book 👎

message 14: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Andrews | 6 comments My copy arrived in the mail today! I plan to start reading it this Sunday.

message 15: by Clare (new)

Clare Snow (claresnow) | 6 comments Alisha wrote: "My copy just came in today at my library. Nobody has the next book 👎"

My library has the next book but not this one 😲

message 16: by Catie (new)

Catie (catiebutler) | 1 comments My copy just arrived in the mail. Looking forward to diving in this weekend.

message 17: by Ange (new)

Ange | 22 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,

I just read the first 6 chapters today. Firstly I love how she begins right away with setting the scene and atmosphere the novel, with describing the coast and the sea. Loved it.

Her writing also seems different from her other works (maybe because it is her first).

The story seems to be progressing faster than I expected but I'm still liking it. I wonder if the man Janet met on the cliff is someone we will see later in the book?

I also feel like Daphne put a lot of herself in the character of Janet. Janet wanted to be a boy when growing up, as did Daphne. And she is drawn to the ocean and Daphne loved the ocean. Thought this was interesting.

Hope everyone is enjoying it :)

message 18: by Hana (new)

Hana | 7 comments I was so excited to pick up the book so I started reading before anybody else here :) I’m really enjoying the story and I want to fly through it. I love that the events progress in a fast pace and you find yourself reading through years and years. You always want to see what happens next and it’s never boring. As for the man Janet sees on the cliff wait a few chapters and you’ll have your question answered. Thank you for pushing me to read this book I’m loving it so far.

message 19: by Sue (new)

Sue Moro (moro) | 7 comments I've finished the book, so I'll try to avoid spoilers. You will find out soon who the man on the cliff is. I found it hard to wrap my head around this person and her future connection to them. It seemed a bit fantastical to me. I wonder if you all will feel similarly.

message 20: by Dianna (new)

Dianna I am feeling completely overwhelmed emotionally with Book 1. So much life and so many feelings I could relate to! I had to stop reading last night because I needed processing time.

message 21: by Hana (new)

Hana | 7 comments I’m so overwhelmed!!! I just finished book one and Oh my God it made me sad. It’s not fair that the moment of great joy and happiness for fulfilling one’s dream is the same moment for a greater grief :(

message 22: by Alex (new)

Alex (arivyerg) Ok I am at the end of chapter 5.... the cliff on Christmas eve. woah. I've been reading and thinking- how beautifully sad the tone of the story is so far. I was so close to actual tears with this chapter.

message 23: by Dianna (new)

Dianna For me book 2 was less relatable to my personal situation, but still pretty much an emotional rollercoaster! Is this just going to keep happening?

Also, DuMaurier is a master at artfully fitting deaths. It makes me wonder how I would die if I were in one of her books.

And foreshadowing! Everything is so well mapped out and hinted at that I feel I'm hardly ever surprised. (Phillip, I'm looking at you!)

message 24: by A.G. Lake (new)

A.G. Lake I had read a few of her other earlier novels in succession and I really wanted to circle back to see how she started out, and what kind of book it could have been for her to hook a husband with this book. So I am part way through Loving Spirit and loving it and the main character in this segment is a sailor despite all odds, so that might be what attracted the military man to her side. She really knew sailing and sailboats. And the character had a vision of her favourite son coming to her crying and he later had another vision on his side of her coming back to him, each always loving and supporting and obsessing about the other. But I'll write more in the final review.

message 25: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (tamm1) | 2 comments I finished the book a few days ago and loved it. I have read a few books since but this one has stuck with me. I just adore her writing and may be a little biased as Rebecca is one of my favourite books ever, but I believe this was quite a strong and beautiful debut. My only disappointment was book 3. It just lacked something for me and I can’t put my finger on it. Maybe someone else felt the same? I know I’m going to thouroughly enjoy this project, the problem is I’m champing at the bit to start the next! I will try hard to be patient and stick to schedule 😝

message 26: by Noël (new)

Noël (the_book_rook) | 9 comments I’m liking the second half better than the whole Janet/Joseph story. That part was a bit too much, imo. I am liking the writing though, it pulls you along. I’ve only read Rebecca by her before, so it’s interesting to see where she began.

message 27: by MªJesús (new)

MªJesús Tovar | 7 comments I’ve just finished books 1 and 2 and I hope to finish the novel this week. I’m looking forward to know what happens in the next two generations.
I’m enjoying the book but I’m not loving it as the other books by DDM I’ve read. It’s quite normal being her debut novel.
I don’t like the unhealthy dependency relationship between Janet and Joseph, in some dialogues they seem lovers instead mother and son.
I understand the characters but I haven’t manage to empathize with them.

message 28: by Leah (new)

Leah | 4 comments I have just started this book. It is my first DDM book and the writing is beautiful!

message 29: by Hana (new)

Hana | 7 comments I just finished book 2 and I didn’t like how Joseph’s life ended. I wished his fate was better. Hopefully the remaining parts have better endings. I’m hoping to finish the novel in the next 2 to 3 days.

message 30: by Dianna (new)

Dianna Finished book 3 in a public place and had to hold the tears back. Man, Daphne Du Maurier is good at poetic deaths! I hope that is the last one in the book.

message 31: by Tania (new)

Tania | 8 comments I have finally started this book, I was 2nd in line from the library so it took a while to get here.