Who's Your Author? discussion

Urban Fantasy Writers > Faith Hunter

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by He110Ne0 (new)

He110Ne0 Hello all - I'm new here :) (Will make an introductory post, too). I noticed there was no Faith Hunter folder and that just will not do! :P She is an absolutely amazing author of both the Rogue Mage and Jane Yellowrock series The Jane Yellowrock series currently has 8 books out and several short stories. (I can't speak personally for Rogue Mage as I haven't started it yet, but it also has several books)

I've written reviews for each Jane Yellowrock book I've read (I'm in progress on Book 6 right now) but this seems to be the most under rated (and yet highly rated, review wise) urban fantasy series that I've come across!

Any other Jane/Beast fans here?? :)

message 2: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4506 comments Yep, I love Jane/Beast. I'm surprised we didn't already have a Faith Hunter thread.

I quite liked Rogue Mage though it is quite different to Jane's series.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) How did I miss this post the first time! I love Jane and her Beast.

Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5) by Faith Hunter is up next for me in the series. I really need to get back to it.

message 4: by He110Ne0 (new)

He110Ne0 @Lauren - Death's Rival is possibly the best book in the series so far. I believe the first two words of my book review for it were "holy. crap." (it MIGHT tie, with the most recent book for amazing-ness but yeah.) I think Faith Hunter ate a few extra servings of Wheaties for breakfast or something when she wrote that one!!

message 5: by He110Ne0 (new)

He110Ne0 Sandra wrote: I quite liked Rogue Mage though it is quite different to Jane's series."

Before I read Jane, I TRIED getting into the Rogue Mage series and got a good way into the first book. I remember really not liking it but I can't for the life of me remember why. I might give it a chance again one day. ::shrug:: Did you read all the books so far? Thoughts?

message 6: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4506 comments Nope, I only read #3. It was for a challenge and at the time was the only book of the trilogy I owned. I've since got the first 2 books but haven't yet read them.

You might not have liked the religious overtones in the rogue mage series. It isn't as polished as Jane though so it may have been that, that you didn't like :)

message 7: by He110Ne0 (new)

He110Ne0 It's funny I saw this message today because just last night, I started reading Bloodring again, haha! I'd forgotten pretty much everything so I just started back at the beginning. We'll see how I do this time.

message 8: by He110Ne0 (new)

He110Ne0 The Black Water collection of short stories just came out in anticipation of the next Yellowrock book - but the surprise for me was the announcement of a spin off series featuring a new character named Nell. This should be interesting, she's a pretty dark character (human-ish. Unidentified at this point)

message 9: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4506 comments Oohh, new spin off. Crossing all fingers & toes that its good!!!!

message 10: by He110Ne0 (new)

He110Ne0 Sandra wrote: "Oohh, new spin off. Crossing all fingers & toes that its good!!!!"

Yup it's coming out supposedly 2015! Definitely read her debut short story to learn where she comes from. It's dark - and not supernatural dark, but unfortunately in a way that totally happens in the real world, too.

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie | 419 comments Jane at one point says that she's like a wood nymphs that she remembered stories about when she was little or something of that sort. If someone knew Cherokee, we could know exactly what she calls her, but there's not many people left from the People.

message 12: by He110Ne0 (new)

He110Ne0 So as an update regarding Bloodring, this attempt I got through the entire book pretty quickly and have already downloaded the 2nd on my Nook, haha.

I wrote a review of it, and while I don't think its as flawless as Yellowrock, it is so DIFFERENT from anything I've read that I can't walk away from it. If anyone's on the fence about it, read my review. I hope it's sort of helpful. If you're looking for something REALLY different, definitely read it and make your own opinion :)

Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...