Play Book Tag discussion

June 2018: Magical Realism > Bewitching Boots: Minus 1 Star

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Bewitching Boots (A Renaissance Faire Mystery #7) by Joyce Lavene

Bewitching Boots, Joyce & Jim Lavene

-

Seriously?

There was so much going on, so much supposition.....

The main character, Lady Jessie was Weak, she didn't know herself, she didn't trust herself, she was supposedly highly intuitive (she could see & talk to ghosts) but too dumb to make use of her gifts or even acknowledge & use those gifts. In my opinion, based on the fact that this is the 6th book in this series and there is magic all around her, she's either a loser or else she is incredibly stupid & naive or maybe even all the aforementioned.

So, this series takes place in a permanent Renaissance Faire Village. Jessie is the curator of the museum & married to the Village Bailiff, Chase. Chase was once the swain of Princess Isabel, a really beautiful, shallow, mean-spirited woman and Isabel has never forgiven him for marrying Jessie.

Chase is also in charge of training the tournament knights; the newest knight, Katerina (a red headed fiery beauty) has her sights set on Chase which causes trouble in "Adventureland".

Then much to the surprise of Adventureland's inhabitants, Isabel flies off her terrace and dies after putting on magical dancing shoes, made by the new Cobbler who happens to have "elf magic"....

At the same time, Isabel's swain, is messing with another woman, Rita, from the castle kitchen. Rita was in the garden smoking when Isabel hit the ground & died in front of her. Rita later is also attacked.

Isabel's ghost shares visions w/ Jessie until Jessie is able to deal with the murderer.... and then when all is said & done, Isabel apologizes to Jessie? What kind of Carp is that?

I Hated this book. I hated the characters (no redeeming or likable qualities). I hated the laissez-faire writing. I hated the story lines.

So how about a Minus - Star?

Magical Realism

Two ghosts
Main character who can see & talk w/ the two ghosts
Cobbler w/ special "elf" powers
A great psychic "fortune teller", who happens to be a dragon
A vindictive Witch
A kindly Wizard

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7460 comments I like that idea of minus 1 star! There are books I'd give that rating to.

I'm sorry you had such a disappointing read, but it made for a fun review to read.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Karin wrote: "I like that idea of minus 1 star! There are books I'd give that rating to.

I'm sorry you had such a disappointing read, but it made for a fun review to read."

I do my best to entertain....

message 4: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Eek- a NEGATIVE star rating?! Lol!!

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Ha! Love the rating!

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6381 comments Love your review! Sorry you had to suffer through this book, though.

message 7: by Barbara M (last edited Jun 06, 2018 06:59AM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2298 comments Ha ha! I love this. However, this is where you put the book down and never look back. Life is too short to finish a bad book IMHO. I am one of those who has always pushed through. However in the past few years I've come across a small number of really poor novels and have actually put them aside - so proud of myself. I recommend the practice!