Stephen R. Lawhead discussion

Other author recommendations

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 62 comments Mod
We all love Lawhead's work.....

What are some of the other authors you would recommend?

message 2: by JoLene (new)

I can start it off....
I also really like Guy Gavriel Kay. He is similar to Lawhead in that his books cross genres. The book The Lions of Al-Rassan is a particular favorite of mine. It is set in a fantasy world that historically based on medieval Spain. I had heard that it is a re-telling of legend of El Cid, but I don't know that story.

message 3: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Astle | 6 comments I have not read anything by Guy Gavriel Kay. Will look him up. I have not read anyone with quite the same style as Lawhed , but other authors I enjoy are Terry Brooks and Dave Duncan

message 4: by Werner (new)

Werner JoLene, when you started this thread, were you thinking of recommendations of authors whose work resembles that of Lawhead, or just recommendations of other authors that some members of the group might also like? I'm in the same boat as Dianne, in that I don't know any writers whose style/vision very closely resembles Lawhead's. On the other hand, I can recommend a variety of other writers whose work might appeal to some members of the group, for one reason or another.

message 5: by JoLene (new)

I was just looking for other author recommendations. I think that Lawhead is pretty unique --- especially as a Christian author of fantasy genre books.

It seems that many of us have read most of his books, so we might we looking for something new to try.

message 6: by Adam (new)

Adam Collings (adamcollings) | 18 comments Try Patrick W. Carr.

message 7: by Werner (last edited Aug 05, 2014 06:10AM) (new)

Werner Of course, Tolkien and C. S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia were both literary influences for Lawhead. A contemporary fantasy writer, Patricia C. Wrede (who's a practicing Roman Catholic) who like Lawhead avoids sex and bad language in her writing, is good at world-building and creates strong female characters, is also worth knowing. I can recommend her The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, and Caught in Crystal. (The latter is the fourth book in her Lyra series, but can be read as a stand-alone; I didn't know it was part of a series when I bought it, but now I'm on the lookout for other books in the series!)