What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Gentlemen
This topic is about Gentlemen
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA High School Mystery - Student goes missing, friends begin to suspect teacher due to teachers odd antics with a barrel. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexis (last edited Jun 10, 2018 07:23PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alexis | 2 comments I read this book about 5-6 years ago (2011-12).

The title may be one word, and it may begin with a C, but take that memory with a grain of salt...

I remember this book being about a group of friends in high school (possibly but probably not middle school) and one of them goes missing mysteriously. They begin to suspect their male English(?) teacher because he acts weird and starts some sort of social experiment using a barrel.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

The kids start to think their friend is actually inside the barrel, and devise a scheme to confront this teacher about it. Eventually it leads to them going to his house, where one of the students accidentally kills the teacher (with a baseball bat I think). In the end, they learn the teacher had nothing to do with the disappearance, and the friend comes back unharmed. It turns out the missing kid was struggling with his identity and went on a journey of "self-discovery" where he came to terms with being gay.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Jun 08, 2018 12:39PM) (new)

Kris | 36622 comments Mod
Gentlemen by Michael Northrop seems to match your description.

One Goodreads reviewer says, "Later that day, Micheal and his friends are in English class where the teacher engages them in a strange guessing game: what's in the giant trash barrel. Each student is given a club and asked to hit the barrel as hard as possible and guess what's in it."

Google search - site:www.goodreads.com "young adult" mystery disappears english teacher barrel

Alexis | 2 comments That's it!! Thanks!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36622 comments Mod
Great! Glad you found your book, Alexis.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gentlemen (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael Northrop (other topics)