Read by Theme discussion

What We're Reading > June 2018: Slavery

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments We've hit June, and our new theme for the month is slavery, as requested by Anne!

Remember that once you've finished your book(s) for the month, you're always welcome to start a discussion topic (which works best if there are others in the group who have read or are currently reading the book in question) or post your thoughts (or just drop a link to your review!) in the thread below.

As previously stated, 2018 will be the final year of Read by Theme. (You can read more about that in April's thread.) There will be no further group polls to determine our themes; the rest of the year's themes are to be nominated by the remaining active members. The list of upcoming themes is as follows:

July: Set in Italy

We currently have chosen no theme for the months of August, September, October, November, and December. Anyone who wishes to request a theme for the remaining months may do so in the thread below. If there's something you want to see, make sure to speak up while you have the chance!

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne | 68 comments Well I requested this so I am reading Hannibal enemy of Rome by Ben Kane. Although not my usual reading I am enjoying it. Is anyone else reading this month?
Hannibal Enemy of Rome (Hannibal, #1) by Ben Kane

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne | 68 comments For July I will be reading the Italian Matchmaker by Santa Montefiore. Looks like that might be it then? Shame. I have taken the recommended advice thanks and looked at around the world in 52 books as this gives a good choice and doesn't have to be followed in order. Thanks again Amara for keeping the group going so long with dwindling participants. I have really enjoyed the challenges of reading out of my comfort zone. Good luck for the future. Anne The Italian Matchmaker by Santa Montefiore

message 4: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 69 comments I read Nyira and the Invisible Boy by K. M. Harrell which is a fantasy novel dealing with resistance to slavery in Haiti. The protagonists have paranormal powers. The invisible boy is a Taino . I thought it was excellent.