Mount TBR 2018 discussion

Level 4: Mt. Ararat (48 books) > July's 3rd 2018 Peak

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by July (last edited Dec 22, 2018 08:47AM) (new)

July | 120 comments I didn't quite plan to get this far this fast. I blew through the first 38 books by June. I'm only five books from my original planned list to hit this peak. Those last 5 will come off of my TBR pile. I've still got a few... LOL.

1 DONE The Road by Cormac McCarthy
2 DONE Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
3 DONE Perfectly Yourself by Matthew Kelly
4 DONE For One More Day by Mitch Albom
5 DONE Dear Carolina by Kristy Woodson Harvey
6 DONE Charlie Henry #1 by David Thurlo
7 DONE Charlie Henry #2 by David Thurlo
8 DONE Charlie Henry #3 by David Thurlo
9 DONE Charlie Henry #4 by David Thurlo
10 DONE Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë
11 DONE Moby-Dick, Herman Melville DNF
12 DONE Scorched: A Dry Earth Story by Theresa Shaver
13 DONE Surviving the Evacuation #11 by Frank Tayell
14 DONE Surviving the Evacuation #12 by Frank Tayell
15 DONE The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
16 DONE The Book of the Unnamed Midwife by Meg Elison
17 DONE Soul Eater Kat D #4 by Lindsday Fairleigh
18 DONE Judgment Kat D #5 by Lindsday Fairleigh
19 DONE Afterlife Kat D #6 by Lindsday Fairleigh
20 DONE Grey Wolf Security #1 by Glenna Sinclare
21 DONE Grey Wolf Security #2 by Glenna Sinclare
22 DONE Grey Wolf Security #3 by Glenna Sinclare
23 DONE Grey Wolf Security #4 by Glenna Sinclare
24 DONE Grey Wolf Security #5 by Glenna Sinclare
25 DONE Positively Catholic by Michael Leach
26 DONE Secrets in Death #45 by JD Robb
27 DONE Dark in Death #46 by JD Robb
28 DONE The Yellowstone Event: Book 1 by Darrell Maloney
29 DONE Percy Jackson and the Singer of Apollo by Rick Riordan
30 DONE Apollo #3 by Rick Riordan
31 DONE Magus Chase #3 by Rick Riordan
32 DONE Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
33 DONE After You by Jojo Moyes
34 DONE The Girl Who Dared to Think #1 by Bella Forrest
35 DONE The Girl Who Dared to Stand #2 by Bella Forrest
36 DONE The Girl Who Dared to Descend #3 by Bella Forrest
37 DONE The Girl Who Dared to Rise #4 by Bella Forrest
38 DONE The Girl Who Dared to Lead #5 by Bella Forrest
39 DONE Roots by Alex Haley
40 DONE The Mysterious Affair at Styles: A Detective Story by Agatha Christie*
41 DONE Don Quixote, Miguel De Cervantes DNF
42 DONE Happy Dreams by Jia Pingwa*
43 DONE Best Wishes, Brownie Wise by Brownie Wise DNF
44 DONE The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame DNF

*Rolled to 2019 Climb*
Flow by Csikszentmihalyi
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson*
The Sketch-book of Geoffery Crayon by Washington Irving*
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas Pere*

*Added to list 6/3/2018, definitely know I owned these before 1/1/20018

message 2: by July (new)

July | 120 comments I have two books started, and though the Brownie Wise books should've been a quick read... it got boring. It'll get done, one chapter at a time. Self-help type books always do...

I also started ROOTS with the intention of finishing it before the July 1 start date of DONE QUIXOTE.

message 3: by July (new)

July | 120 comments ROOTS was a good read. I can see why it's considered so highly.
I've got a few days before the official start of the DON QUIXOTE read, so I'm going to read the Agatha Christie book on my list then move right into Cervantes.

message 4: by Laura (last edited Jun 21, 2018 12:43PM) (new)

Laura (llpeace) | 30 comments July wrote: "ROOTS was a good read. I can see why it's considered so highly.
I've got a few days before the official start of the DON QUIXOTE read, so I'm going to read the Agatha Christie book on my list then..."

Maybe I'll add that one to my shelf.

I might move on up to the next peak after next month. I'm only 7 books out from finishing this one, and 2 books from finishing my overall Goodreads goal of 50. Too bad I couldn't count all of my reads for this climb. I'd already be on the next peak. Lol! Newly purchased books are fun, too.

message 5: by Laura (last edited Jun 21, 2018 12:44PM) (new)

Laura (llpeace) | 30 comments July wrote: "ROOTS was a good read. I can see why it's considered so highly.
I've got a few days before the official start of the DON QUIXOTE read, so I'm going to read the Agatha Christie book on my list then..."

Maybe I'll add that one to my shelf.

I might move on up to the next peak after next month. I'm only 7 books out from finishing this one, and 2 books from finishing my overall Goodreads goal of 50. Too bad I couldn't count all of my reads for this climb. I'd already be on the next peak. Lol! Newly purchased books are fun, too.

message 6: by July (new)

July | 120 comments This is my third peak for the year. I had to "up" my challenge goal, because I blew through the majority of the list by the start of June. I added some heavy classics to the new list: The Sketch-book of Geoffery Crayon by Washington Irving*
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas Pere*
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson*

I'm hoping this will help to end the year on a strong note. =)

message 7: by July (new)

July | 120 comments Finished the Agatha Christie read. It felt like it took a long time. Here's the thing: I just started a new series of course for my business, while simultaneously trying to market my business to bring in an income. There's a lot of reading and writing involved on both fronts, so with a shorter list to finish and the rest of the year to do it in, I will take my time and enjoy the last seven books on my list.

message 8: by July (new)

July | 120 comments DID NOT FINISH (DNF) Don Quixote... I just couldn't. Maybe it was the rush of having the kids around the last few weeks. Maybe it was the finely tuned focus to keep things on track for work-- with the kids around for the last few weeks. Maybe... maybe... maybe... But, really what it was is that I just wasn't enjoying it. And, life's too short to read stuff I don't enjoy. I tried, oh, how I tried and it just wasn't happening. Now onto something else...

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (llpeace) | 30 comments July wrote: "DID NOT FINISH (DNF) Don Quixote... I just couldn't. Maybe it was the rush of having the kids around the last few weeks. Maybe it was the finely tuned focus to keep things on track for work-- with ..."

I remember having to read that in its original Spanish in college for my Spanish 3 class. Talk about ick! I would have done better to read Dr. Seuss in Spanish and left this one to the translator. I think I only understood about half of what I read, and what I did understand was pretty boring.

message 10: by July (new)

July | 120 comments It could have been the translation... but what I had was the whole story in the first hundred pages, then it cut out, the author "gathered the story" again, and it picked up. But all the "stuff" that has become Don Quixote's trademarks-- the windmills, the love of the Dulchena, were all up front in that first hundred pages. It was such a let down to have it all upfront and no build up to those scenes. The book burning was disturbing and then that was it for me. The story was over and what more could be said? I just didn't see a point in continuing.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (llpeace) | 30 comments July wrote: "It could have been the translation... but what I had was the whole story in the first hundred pages, then it cut out, the author "gathered the story" again, and it picked up. But all the "stuff" th..."

You're right. Life's too short to waste it on books you're not enjoying.

message 12: by July (new)

July | 120 comments September 27
Well, I'm back on the reading wagon again. The start of the school year along with getting a new grip on what I need to do for the business put me behind on my reading goals. Tis, ok.

I finished HAPPY DREAMS. It took a while to find my pace with it, Chinese Lit isn't something I've read- probably ever- but once I found the pace I really enjoyed the story of friendship and love.

Now, I need to finish BEST WISHES and I've started WIND IN THE WILLOWS.

message 13: by July (new)

July | 120 comments DNF the Brownie Wise book. I just couldn't take the cliched metaphors anymore. I made it 100 of 154 pages.

I'm checking out the WIND IN THE WILLOWS from the public library in an attempt to read the book in another format. The book isn't bad, and I like it well enough. The problem is of course that doing so much work on the computer every day means I'm not interested in reading on a screen. I'm hoping the book will make it easier to start reading again.

message 14: by July (new)

July | 120 comments ***UPDATE***
I'm tapping out of this mountain on Dec 1. I know I'm not going to finish this climb. It is my third peak this year, and two up from my original goal, so I don't feel bad about not finishing.

Between the renewed and intense focus on my business and Daddy's death, I just can't read like I started at at the beginning of the year.

My plan is to finish _The Wind in the Willows_ and then reset for next year.

I already have a list started, over 50 titles to start and with the roll over from what I won't finish here, I could get close to 60.

message 15: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Good progress, anyway!

message 16: by July (new)

July | 120 comments DECEMBER 22
Calling it for the year. I'm not going to finish _The Wind in the Willows_.

I'd like to blame my lack of reading solely on my dad's death in November, but I tapered off months ago.

Still, it wasn't a bad year of reading. I'm 44 books off the TBR mountain with three DNF. 51 books all together for the Goodreads 2018 Reading Challenge.

I'm not sure how to manage next year... Go for the full list or not. I've got 56 books on that list right now. I'm thinking of climbing this peak that I didn't quite make this year and let the amount over be just that.