Play Book Tag discussion

The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women
This topic is about The Radium Girls
Archive: Other Books > The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 7456 comments I thought I'd already written a review!

This is an important part of twentieth century labour history as well has the history of industrial hygiene. The horrors so many of these women endured from radium poisoning is heart rending as is the utter callousness of their employers, although I have read enough labour history to not be shocked by that--all they cared about was profits. Yes, I only gave it three stars, but perhaps because of all the hype I was a bit disappointed in the writing, nor was I so enthralled that I ever had a hard time stopping reading. However, I am glad to have read it and recommend it as an important book.

Cynda  (cynda) I am reading this book too. That I never heard of the situation before maybe 2016 in a YouTube video, I see that this situation does not live in our collective imagination the same way The Triangle Shirt Factory fiasco does still. Yet like you said Karin this is an important chapter in history.

Hahtoolah | 437 comments This is the next book on my reading list. It was selected by one of my book discussion groups. I hadn't actually heard much about this book, so have no prior expectations.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review. What employers have done for profit is heartbreaking, yet not shocking. This looks like an important read. I only know of the story.

Karin | 7456 comments Yes, to all of you--this is an important read.

Cynda, I also read a book on the Triangle Shirt Factory after one of my daughters read it for a school project, and it's another good read on work safety.