Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Favorite Sci-Fi Books in the last 10 years

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlie (new)

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 515 comments I was at a family reunion this weekend and a relative that knows I like to read asked me if I could recommend the best as Sci-Fi books I’ve read in the last 10 years. I was at a lost given I don’t read much as Sci-Fi, but I told her I’d put the question to my friends at PBT. If it’s any help she said her favorite Sci-Fi book was The Sparrow.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Edison (lisaedisoncarrollbarnett) Last Year by Robert Charles Wilson, The Revisionists by Thomas Mullen, Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, Pines, Wayward, and The Last Town by Blake Crouch, Wool by Hugh Howey, The Fall by R. J. Pinero, The Drafter by Kim Harrison, Zero World by Jason M. Hough, The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi, Dark Matter by Blake Crouch,

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7458 comments If she liked The Sparrow, how about the sequel, Children of God ?

message 4: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6844 comments If she liked Te Sparrow, Children of God is a must read. Like you I'm not much of a sci-fi reader, but I know there are many here at PBT. Michael is quite an ardent and discriminating fan, so I would ask him

message 5: by annapi (last edited Jun 03, 2018 11:20PM) (new)

annapi | 5153 comments I took it to mean the best sci-fi I've read that was published in the last 10 years. (Because I read a lot of good older stuff too.) So here's my list:

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey (this series is what the excellent Syfy TV show The Expanse was based on)
The Darwin Elevator by Jason M. Hough
Zero World by Jason M. Hough
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (and sequel A Closed and Common Orbit)
Lock In by John Scalzi
Saturn Run by John Sandford & Ctein
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
The Martian by Andy Weir
Bannerless by Carrie Vaughn

A little older:
Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff (and the rest of the series, a huge favorite of mine)

crossover fantasy/sci-fi:
The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin (trilogy - books 1 & 2 won Hugos and if book 3 doesn't win in August this year it will be a travesty)

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2097 comments If they like detailed sci-fi with in-depth explanations but also an awesome story, Ringworld

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Charlie, do mean to say SF that has been published in the last ten years?

Or is it good to mention older SF that we've read recently and think is still relevant and interesting?

There are lots of lists available for the latter.
An annotated list of actual newer books would be more interesting, imo. Especially if we restrict ourselves to mentioning books that we truly think will hold up over time, that will become classics.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) I'd like to nominate two books that feature the "what if" and the "sense of wonder" that I prefer in my SF. They're *not* adventures in spaces, but explorations of what it means to be a person, whether human or not. And they're warm, and engaging, and funny, and written by a woman.

I *believe* they'll be relevant for quite some time. I know that I've bought physical copies (which I almost never do because I have a good library) so that I can share them with my whole family, and they've all enjoyed the first (so far) themselves.

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet 2014
A Closed and Common Orbit 2016
by Becky Chambers

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) The Martian, 2012, by Andy Weir is also excellent. I think it will hold up because it's funny, because the SF elements are integral, and it definitely has the 'sense of wonder' with lots of *science* and (extrapolated) technology. My favorite thing about it is that there are no bad guys, no measurable political intrigue... it's 'man vs. nature' and gives an optimistic picture of human nature.

(But don't bother with Artemis, Weir's other book. Lame YA adventure with poor character development, bad guys, set on the moon just for the science-y gimmick and the world-building. Not horrible all through, but not worth your time.)

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments Classics that haven’t been mentioned:
Foundation and I, Robot were fantastic. I also loved Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and, of course, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

message 11: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5153 comments Tracy wrote: "Classics that haven’t been mentioned:
Foundation and I, Robot were fantastic. I also loved Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and, of course, [book:The Hitc..."

I love Asimov, he was my introduction into the genre and I never looked back from there. Foundation is one of the books I have been throwing votes to for The Great American Read.

I finally got around to DADOES recently and though it was interesting I felt it was dated. HGTTG is definitely a classic, even though I can't remember much of it as I read it so long ago!

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments I love Annapi's list.

Other notable 5 star reads for me:
Ancillary Justice--Anne Leckie
Station Eleven--Emily Mandel
Seveneves--Neal Stephenson
The Three-Body Problem--Liu Cixin
Altered Carbon--Richard Morgan
The Dog Stars--Peter Heller
Old Man's War--John Scalzi
The Dervish House--Ian Mc Donald

message 13: by Charlie (new)

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 515 comments Thanks everyone!