PAA Book Club discussion

Book Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LolliMolly ⫷fiction addiction⫸ (last edited Jul 30, 2014 10:07PM) (new)

LolliMolly ⫷fiction addiction⫸ (lollimolly) You can post any requests here! Please include title and author! Also maybe the topic (such as romance, young adult, general fiction, etc) because depending on the size of the group, I'm considering having several books to choose from each month, in different topics.

LolliMolly ⫷fiction addiction⫸ (lollimolly) Due to the upcoming Outlander tv show premiere, I would looove to re-read Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon!

message 3: by Stacia (new)

Stacia (oklasloca) | 7 comments Mod
Yes, Outlander!

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 1 comments Agree with outlander, but am in the middle of the last book right now. Probably finish this weekend though...if I get reading time.

LolliMolly ⫷fiction addiction⫸ (lollimolly) Another book series that's hitting the screens is The Giver quartet by Lois Lowry. I've read it a MILLION times already but I'm always down for another one lol

LolliMolly ⫷fiction addiction⫸ (lollimolly) Well, I've read the first one a million times, and the second a few times, the third once, and I still haven't read Son, the most recent lol

message 7: by janet (new)

janet | 5 comments I have read The Giver twice but only this week found out there are three more books. I am pretty sure that the second one is going to be the next book I read. I downloaded it on to my kindle last night.

LolliMolly ⫷fiction addiction⫸ (lollimolly) The book will be chosen at the end of today, so if you have any suggestions, please submit them!

message 9: by Stacia (new)

Stacia (oklasloca) | 7 comments Mod
I haven't read the Giver yet. Either sounds good for our first book.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2 comments I started reading The Giver just last night.

LolliMolly ⫷fiction addiction⫸ (lollimolly) Sorry for the delay guys, I had one crisis after another the past couple weeks, but since it's a - much- shorter book and I took forever to announce it, the book this month is The Giver!
I'll create a thread for it and everyone can mosey over there to discuss!

LolliMolly ⫷fiction addiction⫸ (lollimolly) Suggestions for the next book are welcome ;)

LolliMolly ⫷fiction addiction⫸ (lollimolly) I've come up with a few different ideas for books, I tried to pick several different genres to see what sparks interest.
I for one, read ALL KINDS OF STUFF but I'm not sure what everyone else is into lol.
So let me know if any of these interest you or throw in your own suggestions!

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath ( Esther Greenwood is brilliant, beautiful, enormously talented, and successful, but slowly going under—maybe for the last time. In her acclaimed and enduring masterwork, Sylvia Plath brilliantly draws the reader into Esther's breakdown with such intensity that her insanity becomes palpably real, even rational—as accessible an experience as going to the movies. A deep penetration into the darkest and most harrowing corners of the human psyche)

Looking for Alaska by John Green ( Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. He heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.)

Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich ( For centuries, treasure hunters have been eager to possess the Stones, undeterred by their corrupting nature. The list is long - Genghis Khan, Alexander the Great, Napoleon, to name a few. Now the Stones have found their way to Salem, Massachusetts, and so has Gerwulf Grimoire, adding himself to this rogues' gallery of power seekers. He's an uncommonly dangerous man with a hunger for the forbidden and a set of abilities that are way beyond ordinary. Abilities that he feels entitle him to possess anything he might desire.

That would include Elizabeth Tucker, the woman he needs to find the Stones. She's freshly transplanted from New York City to Boston's North Shore. With a new job as pastry chef at Dazzle's Bakery and an old house inherited from her Aunt Ophelia, her life is pretty much on track...until it's suddenly derailed by a guy named Diesel, a rude monkey, and a ninja cat.)

Under the Dome by Stephen King ( On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester's Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener's hand is severed as "the dome" comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when -- or if -- it will go away.
Dale Barbara, Iraq vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens -- town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician's assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing -- even murder -- to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn't just short. It's running out.)

Look Me In The Eye: My Life With Aspergers by John Elder Robison ( Look Me in the Eye is the moving, darkly funny story of growing up with Asperger’s at a time when the diagnosis simply didn’t exist. A born storyteller, Robison takes you inside the head of a boy whom teachers and other adults regarded as “defective,” who could not avail himself of KISS’s endless supply of groupies, and who still has a peculiar aversion to using people’s given names (he calls his wife “Unit Two”). He also provides a fascinating reverse angle on the younger brother he left at the mercy of their nutty parents—the boy who would later change his name to Augusten Burroughs and write the bestselling memoir Running with Scissors.

Ultimately, this is the story of Robison’s journey from his world into ours, and his new life as a husband, father, and successful small business owner—repairing his beloved high-end automobiles. It’s a strange, sly, indelible account—sometimes alien, yet always deeply human.)

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 3 comments Ooh, Wicked Appetite sounds really good.

I read everything but horror, I'm really not good with those lol.

LolliMolly ⫷fiction addiction⫸ (lollimolly) So Wicked Appetite it is! We'll keep this one running to the end of October, since it's so late in September. But no pressure, read at your own pace; the discussion topic will be up indefinitely.
Janet Evanovich also wrote the Stephanie Plum books, which were HILARIOUS, so this should be a fun read! :D

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 3 comments I just got it, and a whooole bunch of others! Now I just need my couch and my coffee :)

LolliMolly ⫷fiction addiction⫸ (lollimolly) I need to pick up some coffee, I'm totally out!
So instead I'll do the same, except with a cup of tea haha