YA LGBT Books discussion

Pride Reads - name fav YA LGBTQ > 2 - tell us about an underrated queer book

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments Tell us about an underrated queer YA book or one that is well rated but seems to be undiscovered.

message 2: by Kaje (last edited Jun 04, 2018 09:57AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments I think more people should check out Nobody's Butterfly Nobody's Butterfly by Claire Davis - the two authors have a knack for giving us neuroatypical guys, guys who are lost, damaged, pushed out of their depth. This one, about an electively-mute older teen in a care home after a disaster in his home life, shows a connection between two boys overcoming isolation to help them both move forward in their lives. The writing is lovely.

message 3: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 716 comments Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You!

One of my favorite gay YA books, but no one ever seems to talk about it.

message 4: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You!

One of my favorite gay YA books, but no one ever seems to talk about it."

I enjoyed that one too.

message 5: by lyraand (new)

lyraand | 54 comments A&B It's technically a sequel (to How to Repair a Mechanical Heart, which is also underrated) but works as a standalone. I think it's self-published, which presumably deters some readers, but it's excellent - better than a lot of traditionally published books I've read, not just "good for a self-published book." And it has fewer than 50 Goodreads reviews.

message 6: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 596 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You!

I apparently read and enjoyed that one (4-stars), but I for the life of me can't remember more than the vaguest of plot points. It must be time for a re-read.

message 7: by Rachel (last edited Jun 06, 2018 07:05PM) (new)

Rachel Rainbowheart wrote: "Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You!

I absolutely LOVE that book.

I also feel like Peter is a fantastic yet underrated queer YA book.

message 8: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments Lizzy_Someone wrote: "A&B It's technically a sequel (to How to Repair a Mechanical Heart, which is also underrated) but works as a standalone. I think it's self-published, which presumably deters some re..."

Ooh, I enjoyed Mechanical Heart, and somehow missed this one. Thanks.

message 9: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments I liked Peter a lot - both the characters and the Australian setting. Very real coming of age stuff in this one.

message 10: by Iamshadow (last edited Jun 07, 2018 02:49AM) (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Kaje wrote: "I liked Peter a lot - both the characters and the Australian setting. Very real coming of age stuff in this one."

Oh gosh, that takes me back. The dark ages, when Peter and Night Kites were THE ONLY books about queer kids in libraries, and, depending on your library, you had to get a permission note from your parent to borrow them.

(I actually own copies of both. I haven't read Peter in years, but from memory, it's not the best work in the world. Groundbreaking, yes, but not amazing quality prose.)

message 11: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 596 comments Mia Kerick's The Red Sheet is my favorite underrated queer novel. The getting amnesia spin on the old "my bully turned out to be gay" trope is just so far-fetched, but Ms Kerick does it beautifully and humorously with the character donning a red cape while trying to fix his image and undo all the hurt he's caused.

message 12: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 716 comments I liked Peter a lot, too. And The Blue Lawn, another underrated gay YA from neighboring New Zealand. I also hardly ever see The Value of X mentioned. Technically not YA, but the MCs are teenage boys.

message 13: by Raven137 (new)

Raven137 (alderpendragon) | 12 comments Hidden—by Tomas Mournian.

I don’t know why no one knows of this book.
When I read it several years ago and came back to rate it on Goodreads, there were only 13 reviews. I remember that fact because I was so surprised. I had picked up the book of the bottom shelf of the semi-hidden LGBT section at the book store, hoping for a non-popular or well known read (And I guess you could say I really did get that...ha)

The story follows

Ahmed

Who was sent to a treatment center with the intentions of “fixing” him, for being gay—but he escapes after eleven months of tortuous abuse and over medication. He escapes to San Francisco, struggles for safety before coming to a safe house where he makes friends, and learns how to be open amongst a group of close knit people bound together to maintain their survival. Things happen, and more things happen, and more things happen—it really is a lovely book.

I don’t remover it though, I’ve read so many books since. But I want to reread it—and for me that says a lot. So, I thought I’d mention it

-R ^^

message 14: by Kaje (last edited Jun 15, 2018 09:25PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16799 comments I've read Hidden - it seems to have picked up a few more ratings over time on GR. It was a bit of a tough read for me,. Some of my friends really loved it too. It was based on the author's real life research.

message 15: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) | 69 comments Emmi Itaranta's The City of Woven Streets seems to be almost completely unknown - it's a strange, ethereal fantasy novel set in an island-bound city, where a young weaver gets caught up in the arrival of a mysterious woman with no voice.
It's quite a slow-moving, understated book - probably not for everyone - but I found it stayed with me for a long time afterwards.

message 16: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments It's been a long time since I read it, but Storyteller features a character coming of age and coming out in a science fiction setting. Tissue warning, there's a protracted death scene of an intelligent alien creature that's downright heartbreaking, but I love the gentle, organic emergence of the MC's sexuality and identity.

message 17: by Dorian (last edited Jun 16, 2018 08:38AM) (new)

Dorian | 4 comments I loved In the Eyes of Mr Fury, especially the audiobook of the new version (it's been rewritten and republished in 2016). I'm bad at describing books, so better read it's reviews, like this one.

message 18: by Andy (new)

Andy | 24 comments Little Black Bird by Anna Kirchner it was just published last month! I follow the author on IG and she is amazing!!

message 19: by Sally ✨ (new)

Sally ✨ (tratiezone) | 7 comments The Wicker King by K. Ancrum or the Bright Sessions novels by Lauren Shippen