YA LGBT Books discussion

Pride Reads - name fav YA LGBTQ > 7 - Favorite book with lesbian rep

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Who gets lesbian teens right? If a friend emailed you and said "I'm the only lesbian in my whole town and I need a book about lesbian teens" which one would you recommend? (After reassurance that 5% of the girls in her town are lesbian or bi) Is there a book that tells an important story about being a lesbian teen? Best book set outside the US?

message 2: by Iamshadow (last edited Jun 08, 2018 05:08AM) (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments The Miseducation of Cameron Post is great if you want serious treatment of what it can be like, but it's not exactly light. It's an open ending, but it's not exactly a hearts-and-flowers it-gets-better message that I'd inflict on a baby lesbian looking for her people, unless she's from a religious family and needs that validation.

I love Dreadnought, but it's also got hardcore transphobia from parents and guardian figures, so, um, nope, for the same reasons.

Maybe 10 Things I Can See from Here? It's sweet. It deals with a few heavy issues, but there's no lasting hurt that I can recall. Is it lesbian though, or bi? I read it nearly a year ago, and I don't remember beyond that it's wlw.

Juliet Takes a Breath is excellent, and deals very well with the importance of intersectionality in feminism.

I have to admit, I'm struggling to come up with more. A lot of the books I cut my teeth on might be okay for some teens, but not others, as they were written for adults. Classic, amazing works with teenage protagonists from authors like Alice Walker, Jeanette Winterson and Sarah Waters, that I think every young lesbian and wlw should try reading at least once, but when they're ready.

message 3: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Martinez Figueroa (boricuareads) I thought Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit really nailed the whole small town gays story. A book set outside of the US, does Labyrinth Lost count? It’s set mostly in a magical dimension? lmao

message 4: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 4 comments If I Tell You is an ownvoices book set in small town Australia about a lesbian girl who knows she's lesbian but doesn't want to come out to her small town as she fears judgement. She is also the only lesbian in her town. I think it nailed the small town aspect and it has a sweet f/f romance, though the romance doesn't end happily which kind of ruined my enjoyment of it, and there's also a bit of lesbophobia and an outing. But it's the closest think to what you're asking for that came to mind. It's just not that sweet

for maybe a sweet story for a baby lesbian maybe sometime like Under the Lights which is about a woman realising she's lesbian and it's got a sweet f/f story. It's set in Hollywood and is more fluffy, but the characters are in their twenties not teens. Queens of Geek follows bisexual not lesbian teens but it's very fluffy and although it's set in America it's main characters are all Australian.

message 5: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments I liked Empress of the World - I think it could be a good early book choice.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 716 comments Annie on My Mind!

The lesbian classic to top all classics. Definitely a must read.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen Kennelly | 16 comments I LOVED Annie on My Mind. I think the other book by Nancy Gardner (is that right?) is Good Moon Rising.

I also LOVED Keeping You a Secret by Julie Anne Peters.

message 9: by Lexxi Kitty (new)

Lexxi Kitty (lexxikitty) | 14 comments Inside USA:
Siera Maley's Taking Flight

Outside USA:
Emily O'Beirne's Future Leaders of Nowhere & All the Ways to Here