YA LGBT Books discussion

Pride Reads - name fav YA LGBTQ > 9 - Favorite YA books with bi rep

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Which YA books do you think do a good job of bisexual representation?

message 2: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) Christina Lauren's Autoboyography.
A number of people have complained about how the book often has to tell people (in lieu of showing) that the MC, Tanner is Bi, but (in my experience) that is something that bi and pan people have to resort to in order to have any visibility (because bi/pan erasure is still a thing).

message 3: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Martinez Figueroa (boricuareads) I thought Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Córdova and How to Make a Wish by Ashley Herring Blake have the best rep of bisexual characters, at least that I’ve read. They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera has a bi Latino who’s also done well. (Sorry, I’m on my phone and can’t link them).

message 4: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Seconding the rec for Autoboyography, and adding Not Your Sidekick! Bisexual, biracial teen in a world with superpowers! Lots of fun, a cute romance, with a bunch of social commentary seeded in there, too.

message 5: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Has anyone read Ramona Blue? I like the idea of a book about a bi character that turns the trope around and has a girl who is sure she's a lesbian begin falling for a boy and realizing she's bi that way. But it'd have to be done right.

message 6: by Cat (new)

Cat | 2 comments Sandy Hall’s “Been Here All Along” is a super cute m/m story with one of the main characters coming out as bisexual, facing the nerves and love it comes with. super cute :)

message 7: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Cat wrote: "Sandy Hall’s “Been Here All Along” is a super cute m/m story with one of the main characters coming out as bisexual, facing the nerves and love it comes with. super cute :)"

Thanks - I'll have to look at that one. :)

message 8: by Jyoti (new)

Jyoti | 3 comments I don't know if you have already read or not but James Baldwin's Giovanni's Room is a read you should definitely check out. it's a one of the best of classics. published around 1956 . the characters are deep that often come to my mind and MC struggles with his bi sexuality at that time. heartbreaking story but beautiful. And yes I also loved Autoboyography ❤️

message 9: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Jyoti wrote: "I don't know if you have already read or not but James Baldwin's Giovanni's Room is a read you should definitely check out. it's a one of the best of classics. published around 1956 . the character..."

That's a classic, definitely.

message 10: by K.S. (new)

K.S. Trenten (cauldronkeeper) | 88 comments Elizabeth Bear's urban fantasy, Blood and Iron with the marvelous Elaine, who has a husband (whom she still loves), a Merlin (whom is female that she's falling in love with), and a kelpie (whom she shares an intense attraction with, even she struggles to bind him and he struggles to kill her). This is all complicated by the fact that Elaine is bound as Seek to the Mebd, Queen of the Seelie fae and her birth mother, Jane Andraste, is leader of the fae's enemies, the Promethean mages, and is urging them to war with the fae, in part to get Elaine back.

message 11: by Carrie-Anne (new)

Carrie-Anne | 104 comments I Was Born for This is my favourite Alice Oseman book, which has bisexual, trans, Muslim, gay, Christian - so much rep! Her other book Radio Silence also has a bi biracial mc, along with gay, ace / demi, lesbian characters. Also her super cute comic Heartstopper: Volume One is a must read for anyone wanting a sweet, lovely romance between a gay and a newly realised bisexual boy

Obscura Burning is a sci fi / multiple realities book with bi rep, as well as physical disability (wheelchair user and someone with severe burns)

message 12: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Carrie-Anne wrote: "I Was Born for This is my favourite Alice Oseman book, which has bisexual, trans, Muslim, gay, Christian - so much rep! Her other book Radio Silence also has a bi bi..."

Radio Silence is absolutely the best. I love it so much.

Otherbound by Corinne Duyvis also has good bi rep, though it's not quite as close to my heart as her other major work, On the Edge of Gone.

A Boy Worth Knowing has a bi love interest. It didn't exactly blow me away (I felt the author needed to decide between contemporary and supernatural fiction genres, and the wobbling between the two weakened the story), but I'm certain there are people out there who would think I'm ridiculous for saying that and who love it.

No one has mentioned Queens of Geek yet and that needs to be rectified right the hell now. One of the best bi rep stories I've read so far.

message 13: by leo | 飛べ (new)

leo | 飛べ (ofbooksandechos) I'm just going to add:
How to Make a Wish which has own voices bi rep, like most of Ashley Herring Blake's books; this is the only one I read, though.

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, Henry is unapologetically bi:).