YA LGBT Books discussion

Pride Reads - name fav YA LGBTQ > 15- A queer YA book that should be a film

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments A queer YA book that should be a film - we got "Love, Simon" - what other book do you really want to see on the big screen? Or maybe as a miniseries?

message 3: by Seth (last edited Jun 03, 2018 07:56PM) (new)

Seth (sethharringtonjourneys) | 19 comments I would love to see They Both Die at the End as a movie.

message 4: by Seth (new)

Seth (sethharringtonjourneys) | 19 comments Also, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.

One Man Guy.

message 5: by Kaje (last edited Jun 03, 2018 07:53PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments I wonder if you could do Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and translate the beauty of the book to the screen - it's a quiet, internal kind of story. But I'd also love to see someone good try to do it.

One Man Guy could be fun :)

message 6: by Seth (new)

Seth (sethharringtonjourneys) | 19 comments Kaje wrote: "I wonder if you could do Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and translate the beauty of the book to the screen - it's a quiet, internal kind of story. But I'd ..."

For One Man Guy, I definitely think it'd be doable as a fun, feel-good flick! Which would be nice to have.

As for Ari and Dante...very good point. If someone was able to translate it correctly, I imagine it would be a very beautiful movie. I feel like a dynamic use of colors and "snapshots" could help, and it would consequently be more of an emotive movie, rather than a narrator- or action-driven movie.

Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~ (linda2485) | 340 comments Hero by Perry Moore would be a fun one.

message 8: by Iamshadow (last edited Jun 04, 2018 04:07AM) (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Kaje wrote: "A queer YA book that should be a film - we got "Love, Simon" - what other book do you really want to see on the big screen? Or maybe as a miniseries?"

I'd love Autoboyography, because it would mean it'd get a lot more Mormon and ex-Mo kids and adults seeing a positive, relatable story about them.

I'd love Juliet Takes a Breath. I don't often get strong mental visuals when reading, and I really did with this one, so I think it would make a great film. I know there are a lot of queer WOC who are really crying out for good rep, and this is a great book to base something visual on that delivers that in spades.

Also, fantasy/sci-fi is my true first love, and so I'd absolutely love to see Dreadnought. Superheroes are so in right now, but we're still lacking true diversity. When guys called Chris (as talented as they are) outnumber women, there's a problem. When we're only just getting our first out superhero (Negasonic Teenage Warhead), there's a problem. When we don't have any trans or nb characters at all, and as far as I know, no plans to have any, there's a problem. I want Dreadnought on the big screen, smashing gender, smashing sexuality, smashing TERFs in the face. And tell me it wouldn't make an absolutely amazing Netflix series. That'd give them time to touch on the social and political issues the books raise and build the world and characters properly.

message 9: by Carrie-Anne (new)

Carrie-Anne | 103 comments Kaje wrote: "I wonder if you could do Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and translate the beauty of the book to the screen - it's a quiet, internal kind of story. But I'd ..."

A lot of foreign language lgbt films are quiet and beautifully shot, so it's definitely doable. Boys, North Sea Texas, Seashore or even British films like Gods Own Country

message 10: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Ooh, Dreadnought could be a really fun one to take to film.

message 11: by amberina (new)

amberina marie (amberinasato) | 1 comments autoboyography by christina lauren !!!
definitely my favorite book

message 12: by Kaje (last edited Jun 05, 2018 12:30PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments amberina wrote: "autoboyography by christina lauren !!!
definitely my favorite book"

I'd love to see it - something with a little more heft and depth than the wonderful sweetness of Simon, but with a positive ending and a lot of hope.

message 13: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Martinez Figueroa (boricuareads) If you must know, Ari and Dante is in development to become a movie, and a few months ago there was a live reading done with a script that was written by a gay latino screenwriter (here’s a link from the Facebook event last March https://www.facebook.com/events/79438...).

message 14: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Adriana wrote: "If you must know, Ari and Dante is in development to become a movie, and a few months ago there was a live reading done with a script that was written by a gay latino screenwriter (here’s a link fr..."

Yay!! I hope they do it justice. One of my very favorite books.

message 15: by Arden (new)

Arden N (anorian625) You Know Me Well by Nina LaCour and David Levithan. I would actually go crazy for a movie of this

message 16: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (nerdytay) | 2 comments I would love to see Taking Flight or Color Blind by Siera Maley be turned into a movie.

message 17: by cry *:・゚✧ (new)

cry  *:・゚✧ (cryreads) I absolutely NEED for We Are The Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson to be made into a movie. It's my favourite book of all time and I'd love to see it in theatres.

message 18: by Jay (last edited Jun 06, 2018 09:38PM) (new)

Jay | 136 comments I've wanted a movie adaptation of Will Grayson, Will Grayson since I first read it. Unfortunately, the last time I checked, it was the one John Green book that hadn't been optioned. I fear that's because of the LGBT content, and sadly, Love, Simon didn't do enough box office to really encourage more LGBT YA films.

message 19: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) As someone mentioned, Ari & Dante already has a film option, and I believe Gentleman's Guide does as well; Hero was optioned for a TV series on a premium cable network before Moore's death, but I haven't heard about the project since.

And I might as well board the hype-train for an Autoboyography movie, for all the reason already mentioned, woo-woo!

One I'd personally like to see on the silver screen: Jandy Nelson's I'll Give You the Sun. If done right, that would be one heck of a one-two punch in the feels.

message 20: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) And while I was digging up info for another thread, I found out that Andrew Smith's Grasshopper Jungle has also been optioned for a movie.

message 21: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Martinez Figueroa (boricuareads) I’ll Give You the Sun has also been optioned for a film, tho I haven’t heard any news about a script recently.

message 22: by James (new)

James (rigfield) | 27 comments Anything Could Happen by Will Walton

Of course -- it would have to be an Indie film as there's very little "action" that major studios insist on numbing down the intellect of their films with.

This is a beautiful story about a small-town boy learning that there are many types of love he can feel as he comes to terms with his own sexual identity. It was refreshing to read a story about a gay boy that wasn't about sex, or bullying or any of the other tropes that seem to plague YA LGBTQ+ titles .

message 23: by Jess (new)

Jess (typicaljess401) | 4 comments Girl Mans Up or Symptoms of being Human. Both are about the main character with androgynous looks, dealing with judgement of their gender and looks, been bullied at some point and have to deal with asshole people from school. They are both equally good and deserve a movie.

It might not happen but I would like to see one of them make on the big screen. Androgyny is beautiful (I am one, and proud of it) and it's extremely underrated when it comes to LGBT films.

message 24: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Jess wrote: "Girl Mans Up or Symptoms of being Human. Both are about the main character with androgynous looks, dealing with judgement of their gender and looks, been bullied at some point and have to deal with..."

They sound great, though I haven't read the source material yet. I know what a big deal it was having an androgynous character on The L Word a million years ago (I am old). Too many tv character lesbians are glamorous and catwalk ready. I'd love to see more who wear comfortable shoes and don't conform neatly to the gender binary.

message 25: by dolly (new)

dolly (cryptided) i feel like About a Girl would translate really well to film or a miniseries and i really want more people to read it

and anything by siera maley would be a great movie but particularly Colorblind would be a good movie

OH and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo would be AMAZING. it's practically made to be a series/movie since the main character is a movie star

i'd just like any lesbian movie that isn't obviously made for straight guys to enjoy tbh so any book that fits that would do

message 26: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Jess wrote: "Girl Mans Up or Symptoms of being Human. Both are about the main character with androgynous looks, dealing with judgement of their gender and looks, been bullied at some point and have to deal with..."

Both great books. And Girl Mans Up in particular has a structure I think would make a good film.

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ray (bigbeanash) | 1 comments how about Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit

message 28: by lyraand (new)

lyraand | 54 comments The Abyss Surrounds Us is MADE for this. It's super cinematic, with pirates and giant sea monster battles.

A&B would also be so much fun. It's about a competitive songwriting reality TV show, so it would be great for fans of Pitch Perfect.

message 29: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Lizzy_Someone wrote: "The Abyss Surrounds Us is MADE for this. It's super cinematic, with pirates and giant sea monster battles. "

Oh, wow, I agree, it'd be epic.

message 30: by Lanett (new)

Lanett Bagley (lbagley08) | 2 comments Definitely The Gentleman's Guide to Vices and Virtues or The Six of Crows.

message 31: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) Willful Machines would make an excellent CW TV show.

message 32: by Pup (new)

Pup Loki (puploki) | 9 comments Its a new series but weird and wild chronicles: may the faytes be kind is really good. I would love to see Tony , Wolf, and Zoey on the big/little screen. They are such fun characters. Mr. Yellicks take on old and new world mythology is so unique and original. Plus seeing Prince Loki and Sisciro banter would be cute.

message 33: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Oh, man, I just realised how GD AMAZING Young Avengers Omnibus would be.

message 34: by Avery (new)

Avery (heyyoufinch) | 1 comments Mika wrote: "The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue"

I love this book, and it's actually been optioned to become a TV series! The rights were purchased by Greg Berlanti, who directed "Love, Simon," so that bodes well.

message 35: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Avery wrote: "Mika wrote: "The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue"

I love this book, and it's actually been optioned to become a TV series! The rights were purchased by Greg Berlanti, who dire..."

Fingers crossed!

message 36: by Edward (new)

Edward | 1 comments I saw it mentioned that it may be in the works, but I would love "I'll Give You The Sun" by Jandy Nelson and "Carry On" by Rainbow Rowell.

message 37: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments I'd like to see it happen - it looks like "I'll Give You the Sun" was optioned in 2014, to the point of having an IMDb listing, and I saw a 2017 note the screenplay was maybe being written. Fingers crossed.

message 38: by Juanjo (last edited Jul 28, 2018 02:56AM) (new)

Juanjo Dolz Marco (yuritlv) "The song of Achilles" by Madeleine Miller and "Dick's kiss" by Fernando Molano Vargas

message 39: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Andy wrote: "Definitely Autoboyography. It's soo good!"

I would love to see them make that one.

message 40: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm Girl  (bookwormgirl11) | 2 comments Andy wrote: "Definitely Autoboyography. It's soo good!"

YES! I loved that novel!

message 41: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) The hype-train for an Autoboyography movie is still rolling, I see.

Another one I'd like to see made into a movie: Openly Straight. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't mentioned already in this thread.

message 42: by Christian (new)

Christian LaFreniere | 3 comments Carry on by rainbow, with Timothee Chalamet playing Baz and Troy Savin playing Simon. Please universe make this happen

message 43: by Jyoti (new)

Jyoti | 3 comments Honestly it's kinda scary when a good novel made into a movie, it's almost impossible to put together necessary elements and pull a great movie. the risk of messing it up is high unless you are someone like Luca Guadagnino.

I would really want to see an interpretation of A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara into series instead of movie. I really want everyone to see Jude's life through his eyes, their friendships, love of Willem, Harold, Andy, and how extremely cruel and nasty some people can get. it's not just I want to see but I want the society to see this , it will impact on their lives.

I'm not really good with words but I get bit carried away when I think about this book :)

message 44: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Jyoti wrote: "Honestly it's kinda scary when a good novel made into a movie, it's almost impossible to put together necessary elements and pull a great movie. the risk of messing it up is high unless you are som..."

It is scary - especially a favorite book with depth in it. Because a film has to be shorter - they can't put in everything from the novel. So you're counting on them to find the most important and moving bits and translate them to a visual medium. When they do, it can potentially reach a bigger or different audience in a visceral way. But what film makers think will sell is sometimes not the heart of the book.

Delaney 🏳️‍🌈 (bibookworm) | 1 comments Girls of Paper and Fire!

message 46: by Bee (new)

Bee | 5 comments I agree 1000% with all of the ones on this thread. Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan would be a good one, but I think it would be really hard to pull off as a movie.

message 47: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Bee wrote: "I agree 1000% with all of the ones on this thread. Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan would be a good one, but I think it would be really hard to pull off as a movie."

Yeah, there's a lot of internal thought to it, and it doesn't have a simple plot arc.

I'd love to see Lord of the White Hell, Book 1 and I'm thrilled that we may be getting Magic's Pawn on the screen :D

message 48: by Roxy (new)

Roxy | 5 comments I would pay sooooo much money to see red white and royal blue as a movie and I would watch it on repeat