Retro Reads discussion

Mrs. Mike (Mrs. Mike, #1)
This topic is about Mrs. Mike
Group Reads > Mrs. Mike June 2018 - No spoilers thread

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1231 comments Mod
This thread is for comments while reading. Please use spoiler tags where appropriate! It’s helpful if you note the chapter your spoiler is in so others will know when it’s safe for them to open the spoiler.

Mrs. Mike is an old sentimental favorite book of mine. I think I first read it in high school?

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 724 comments Hope to join this read, though all depends on the post-surgical cocktail of drugs I’m sent home with when I leave the hospital . . .

I'm so sorry, Abigail! Join when and if you can!

I got up to about p. 75 today. Kathy and her Mountie husband (view spoiler) Married at 16 - whew!

message 4: by Susan in NC (new) - added it

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1414 comments Abigail, I wish you the best - hospital is never a treat. Hope everything goes smoothly and you’re home, comfortably recovering, soon!

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 724 comments Thank you, Susan and Tadiana! I’m looking forward to a summer of lazing in bed, reading.

message 6: by Susan in NC (new) - added it

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1414 comments Good plan!

Elinor | 209 comments I think I read this when I was about sixteen, so the idea of marrying a Mountie and moving to the far north was fascinating! Who could resist Mike in his red serge? But how could she leave her parents? I wonder, too, at Mike's decision to take her with him since she was clearly a liability in many ways. It must have been true love.

I enjoy how vividly you get the feel for the severe shortage of women in this part of Canada in that era. Then Kathy shows up, one of only two white women, and chaos ensues. It would have been really hard for Mike to resist going after her.

Barb in Maryland | 500 comments Just got my copy from the library and have already started in. I will admit that I am probably the only one here who has Never. Read. the book. I have no idea how that happened!!! I guess it just never crossed my radar--too busy reading Mary Stewart, Victoria Holt, etc.

Hope you love it, Barb!

Elinor | 209 comments Every teacher who went up north to begin school in September was married by Christmas! The male homesteaders knew they wouldn't be able to prove up their claims without a wife to help them, and besides, they were terribly lonely.

End of chapter 8: I really want someone to research this and tell me if death by mosquito bite is really a thing.

Here's a comment on a Quora webpage from someone who sounds like they know:
I learned this during survival training while in the US Coast Guard as a helicopter crewman in New Orleans. Mosquito bites can in fact kill you. It is not the amount of blood they extract but it is the amount of reaction produced by your body to the mosquito saliva. You can end up going into shock if you get enough mosquito bites and can ultimately die as a result. The more dangerous mosquito for this is the notorious salt marsh mosquito which is about 3 times larger than typical mosquitoes and the bites cause a much more severe reaction than typical mosquitoes. We carried mosquito repellent in case our helicopter went down in a marsh as a survival tool.

I can remember playing golf on a Navy golf course that was surrounded by swamps and if the Navy had delayed the mosquito sprays you could see a grey cloud surrounding a person out to about two feet as they were swarming to attack. So yes regardless of the tropical diseases simple mosquito bites can kill you. I remember a Sheriff’s deputy telling a story about some escaped prisoners going into a swamp the the deputies just sat in boats waiting for a while telling everyone that in less than an hour they will come out and surrender because of the mosquitoes and they were correct.
So now we just need someone to compare northern Canadian mosquitoes to Louisiana salt marsh mosquitoes.

Barb in Maryland | 500 comments Just into Chapter 10 and the terror of the forest fire. I am enjoying it so far.
Oh, the mosquitoes! My son and husband are both sensitive to mozzie bites--the welts really puff up for them And that's from small Maryland mosquitoes. So I can easily see how being swarmed by larger versions could prove fatal.

Barb in Maryland | 500 comments I'm in Chapter 17 now (Kathy visits Sarah) and I must say that our Kathy would make a perfect gothic heroine! That ability/imagination to totally spook herself, especially when she is imagining what's under the box.

message 16: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments Late to the party, but I have a copy now! I'm thrilled to start it!

Have you ever read this before, Karlyne? If not, I think you'll love it!

message 18: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments Nope! When my librarian handed it to me this morning, I squealed and did a happy dance. She loves me.

I’m still only about 100 pages in, so not too far ahead of you.

message 20: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments I might have to start in a bit!

message 21: by Karlyne (last edited Jun 10, 2018 09:14AM) (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments Oh, my word! The Indian "tea party", 28 little hors d'oeuvres sandwiches made me laugh out loud!

message 22: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments Abigail, I just read all the comments above; how are you doing?

message 23: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 724 comments Hi Karlyne, thanks for your inquiry! I am just now climbing back on Goodreads. Still in acute rehab after the hospital but doing much better! Today was the first day I felt up to reading.

Welcome back, Abigail! I hope your recovery goes well and quickly!

message 25: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 724 comments Thank you, Tadiana!

message 26: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments Enjoy your rehab, and I hope you get lots of reading in!

message 27: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments A note on the sequel, Searching for Joyful, which was (I think) published in 2002: I only got about a chapter into it, and I decided not to go any farther. It was not only obviously a novel with a "mission", but I found it squirmy in its depictions of the interactions between the cultures. And (horrors!), it was written in a very juvenile way, short, choppy sentences and third-grade vocabulary. It may have improved as it went on, but I didn't want it to color my fond memories of Mrs. Mike.

Thanks for sharing, Karlyne!