YA LGBT Books discussion

Pride Reads - name fav YA LGBTQ > 1- Describe an LGBTQIA+ novel you'd like to see written

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16811 comments Describe an LGBTQIA+ novel you'd like to see written - what blurb would make you grab that next waiting-for-it book?

message 2: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Maybe it's conceited, but I had an idea last year about writing a fictional, AU treatment of some events in my own teenage years, but different. Growing up queer, Mormon, CSA survivor from a broken home, dabbling in magic, undiagnosed neurodivergent. Super specific, I know, so I know I'll have to write it myself. I had a bunch of basic plot notes on my computer, but the hard drive died a few months ago. :( Back everything up, kids. You'd think after twenty years, I'd know this. Now, if I want to write it, I have to start over, and I hate that.

It wouldn't be an autobiography, really, because the magic would be real and I'd work things out differently than I did the first time around, but it wouldn't be pure fiction, either.

I don't know if it's something I'll ever write, but I like the shape of it. The feel of it. And I like the idea of exploring real events through fiction. Sometimes it's truer than a biography ever could be.

message 3: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16811 comments Iamshadow wrote: "Maybe it's conceited, but I had an idea last year about writing a fictional, AU treatment of some events in my own teenage years, but different. Growing up queer, Mormon, CSA survivor from a broken..."

it's not conceited - it sounds fascinating and also like a story other people would connect with. Sometimes fantasy gives us truths in a way that is easier to look at than contemporary. I hope you do it someday.

message 4: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) Iamshadow wrote: "Maybe it's conceited, but I had an idea last year about writing a fictional, AU treatment of some events in my own teenage years, but different. Growing up queer, Mormon, CSA survivor from a broken..."

I'd read the hell out of that. As a neurodivergent queer/pansexual guy from a highly Mormon town who loves all things magic AU, I would devour a book like this. I might even go so far as to step out of my comfort zone and offer to be a beta reader.

message 5: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Rez wrote: "Iamshadow wrote: "Maybe it's conceited, but I had an idea last year about writing a fictional, AU treatment of some events in my own teenage years, but different. Growing up queer, Mormon, CSA surv..."

LOL, it's just an idea in the back of my head right now, but if I ever start typing, I'll let you know. I've tried to write something like a life story ever since I was about twelve, and every time, it's fizzled. I like this idea, but I struggle to write longfic, so the question is, could I spin it out and make it run to longer than several thousand words? I think I possibly could, but it'd be my first time writing original fiction in a long, long time, so I'm understandably nervous. One lovely thing about writing fan fiction is that no matter how far you go into speculative AU territory, there's always the canon to fall back on. Maybe treating my real life as the canon and the idea as the AU, it'll be familiar enough territory to start the ball rolling. :)

message 6: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16811 comments We need more books with Ace characters in general. If you have ebook access, you might check out the short story Of The Bauble which is labeled with ace, genderqueer, and romance and light. (On my TBR list but I haven't read it, but I like the author.)

message 7: by Alison (new)

Alison I saw a post once saying how cute it would be if there was a really shy pansexual who fell in love with the really outgoing ace - honestly I'd love that 😊 Also love some demisexual representation. And just fiction with loads of cute cupcake-y moments. Magic and lgbt characters sounds right up my street too 😊

message 8: by James (new)

James (rigfield) | 27 comments Tired of reading gay fiction where everyone is hot and sexy and model perfect. Its damaging my self-esteem.

Where are the books about the average looking gays who aren't overly adorable twinks or dominating leather daddies? The book I want - the average gay guy trying to find love while trying to figure out what it means to be "out and proud" when he doesn't fit into any of the molds set by gay culture. There could be some hilarious moments in there as "joe average" tries to navigate the drag, twink, and leather scenes looking for love.

And if anyone knows of a book like this - please share.

message 9: by lyraand (new)

lyraand | 54 comments Something like The West Wing or Wide Awake with an f/f romance. Like, this is very specific but say there was the first openly lesbian major party U.S. presidential candidate, and all the lesbians turned out en masse to work and volunteer for her campaign, and two of them met on the campaign trail, and there was a long slow burn throughout the campaign, and then they won the election and finally got together. And then went off to the White House to help run the country while making out a lot.

message 10: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments I'd like something like Fangirl, but with a queer protag. There are a lot of queer fandom peeps, especially amongst those who write or make fanart. I'd like a book that's about falling in love with the shared experience of enjoyment of a thing. It doesn't have to be a romance, but I imagine you could write something amazing that revolves around the community of 'I love this thing! And I'm super gay! Hey, me too! Me three! I'm not gay, but I transitioned two years ago. Welcome!'

message 11: by chocolatemad (new)

chocolatemad | 2 comments I would love a LGBTQIA+ book with a bi girl with multiple LGBTQIA+ friends struggling with homo- and biphobia and her huge crush on her best friend. I just want a story I can relate to, ya know?

message 12: by Benjamin (last edited Jun 28, 2018 09:52PM) (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) | 69 comments I'd like to see a classic-style gothic novel (crumbling houses, buried secrets, horrifying phantoms, beautiful prose) with a queer romance at the heart of it.

I've made a couple of attempts myself but haven't managed to get it off the ground.

message 13: by Pup (new)

Pup Loki (puploki) | 9 comments i kind of want more stories not about twinks. I mean there's nothing wrong with that, but every book i seam to read about magic or fantasy. everyone's a twink... and a little crazy. I mean i get that's the "Idea" Body type in the LGBT community but still. Im not a twink, my boyfriend isnt either. It would be kind of nice to read a book about an otter or a bear type gentlemen that isn't erotic.

message 14: by Pup (new)

Pup Loki (puploki) | 9 comments Benjamin wrote: "I'd like to see a classic-style gothic novel (crumbling houses, buried secrets, horrifying phantoms, beautiful prose) with a queer romance at the heart of it.

I've made a couple of attempts myself..."

Lynn Flewellings Tamir Triad is like that. its very good. the protagonist is a girl turned to a boy who then is turned back into a girl. So there is an odd sort of romantic triangle going between two characters.

message 15: by Pup (new)

Pup Loki (puploki) | 9 comments James wrote: "Tired of reading gay fiction where everyone is hot and sexy and model perfect. Its damaging my self-esteem.

Where are the books about the average looking gays who aren't overly adorable twinks or..."

Benjamin wrote: "I'd like to see a classic-style gothic novel (crumbling houses, buried secrets, horrifying phantoms, beautiful prose) with a queer romance at the heart of it.

I've made a couple of attempts myself..."

so much yes on this.

message 16: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) | 69 comments Pup wrote: "Lynn Flewellings Tamir Triad is like that. its very good. the protagonist is a girl turned to a boy who then is turned back into a girl. So there is an odd sort of romantic triangle going between two characters. "

Thanks! Looks a little more fantasy than what I was going for, but interesting all the same - I'll give it a look.

message 17: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16811 comments Pup wrote: "i kind of want more stories not about twinks. I mean there's nothing wrong with that, but every book i seam to read about magic or fantasy. everyone's a twink... and a little crazy. I mean i get th..."

There are plenty of those on the adult side, but YA does tend to stick to a pretty narrow range of main characters. I'd love to see more teens who are not "pretty people", athletes, or skinny nerds, in YA LGBTQ.

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1 comments I would love to see something like Simon and the Homosapien Agenda only going further into their lives, college/after high school and the issues couples face.

message 19: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) Jessica wrote: "I would love to see something like Simon and the Homosapien Agenda only going further into their lives, college/after high school and the issues couples face.

That exists! Thrice actually. There's John Goode's Tales from Foster High series, Brent Hartinger's Russel Middlebrook series, and Roce Christo's Gives Light series. The first few books in each series start as typical YA fare and then exand to the character's adult lives in the later books.

And if you're specifically meaning the Simon VS characters, there's hope for that too, Albertali has mentioned that she wants to keep writing in the Creekwood series, so Simon and Leah's later life adventures could happen.

message 20: by Roxy (new)

Roxy | 5 comments Ok so here’s the plot
In a futuristic colony where the main goal is to re populate the plant you can only be straight and no one has seen the people who aren’t in this colony there is a story that is about to unfoldThe young couple are so in love Alex and Sebastian have been dating for just over two years they are the couple that everyone aspires to be Alex’s parents love Sebastian and Sebastians parents love Alex they are perfect in every way ……. Except for the fact that they aren’t dating. This charade has been long in the making and is the only way they can have the lives they want because infant they are both gay . And each have there own secret relationships that must stay hidden or they will be disowned by everyone Alex’s girlfriend Bette is the picture perfect girl long blond hair and blue eyes that you could swim in and Sebastian’s boyfriend Luca is the funniest kindest person you will ever meet when Luca and Bette get tired of hiding the four of them devise a plan to runaway but will they find safety before there story’s unravel .