Struggling Writers discussion

Writer's Corner > The Perks of Being a Novelist

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Trysh (new)

Trysh (tryshx) | 100 comments I was writing tonight and my husband asks me what I was writing about, so I told him. He then asked why. My response was this, "I don't know yet, but I'm pretty sure that I'll be shocked when I find out why."

I'm the type of novelist that does very little planning. I know where I want the novel to go, but the journey is so much fun, I'd hate to restrict it by meticulously planning.

My favorite part of writing is being surprised by my own story. What's yours?

message 2: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 75 comments I do plot out some stories but others go where the plot or characters take them. The worst bit is when you have to throw away thousands of words because the story has changed, but I too love the journey far more than marketing and publishing

message 3: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Jones (authra) | 1074 comments I do a outline kind of it has major plot point but that's about it

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments I spend more time choosing my characters names and professions than I do planning! I never write my synopsis until I have at least 5 chapters completed,and I sometimes write the end before the
synopsis

message 5: by Ingrid, Just another writer. (new)

Ingrid | 932 comments Mod
Interesting. Im one to always do major planning, outlining but I realizedmy brain isn't programmed for that mumbo jumbo. I'll try and see if a simple outline and a character chart will do.

message 6: by Renee E (last edited Aug 03, 2014 08:23AM) (new)

Renee E | 49 comments Pantser here, I'm afraid.

Even when I do have a plan the characters usually have others and the conversations begin: "oh, that's not what happened to you?"

"No, you must be thinking of someone else, shut up and listen so you can get MY story straight. And don't try anticipating. Just listen and let me tell it, got it?"

And off we go.

The characters are far better at telling the story and knowing what REALLY happened.

message 7: by S. (new)

S. Aksah | 25 comments No proper planning. Just a rough idea where the book is going..

message 8: by S. (new)

S. Aksah | 25 comments No proper planning. Just a rough idea where the book is going..

message 9: by Ingrid, Just another writer. (new)

Renee wrote: "Pantser here, I'm afraid.

Even when I do have a plan the characters usually have others and the conversations begin: "oh, that's not what happened to you?"

"No, you must be thinking of someone e..."

One time I heard that, and I was like, "what?I'm the CREATOR so I should be the one who controls everything" but now looking back, boy was I wrong.

message 10: by Renee E (last edited Aug 03, 2014 12:19PM) (new)

Renee E | 49 comments One of the perks of being a novelist (or any sort of writer of fiction) is that it's a GOOD thing to have voices in your head talking to you.

And then there's the "never piss off a writer, you might wind up in the next book" thing :D

message 11: by Trysh (new)

Trysh (tryshx) | 100 comments Renee wrote: "One of the perks of being a novelist (or any sort of writer of fiction) is that it's a GOOD thing to have voices in your head talking to you.

And then there's the "never piss off a writer, you mig..."

One of my favorite quotes of all time is "Writing is the only socially acceptable form of schizophrenia."

message 12: by Renee E (new)

Renee E | 49 comments I'm not all that sure it's completely socially acceptable, lol.

Sometimes you can say, "I'm a writer," or "I write" and get those knowing "of course you are" looks.

message 13: by Trysh (new)

Trysh (tryshx) | 100 comments Hahaha that's awesome. I've never noticed before. I get a lot of looks like "Really? Is that even a thing anymore?" or "Nope, don't believe you." looks. -_-

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Aug 04, 2014 07:49AM) (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Watch their faces if you're still not convinced,they have this expression, goes from surprise to mockery in the blink of an eye 'if your a writer my name's Mother Theresa!' type of expression. The next thing they ask is where can we buy your books? I suppose it's hard finding a publisher isn't it. That's where I jump in and say, 'no, not at all, my agent deals with all that stuff, publicity too, leaves me more time to do what I do best...write, and I'm 50,000 words into my 4th novel, my agent reckons it's going to knock spots of 50 shades!'

Person now standing with mouth open, jaw almost touching floor, always leaves me dying to say, 'close your mouth dear, you're causing an awful draught!'

message 15: by Trysh (new)

Trysh (tryshx) | 100 comments Oh that's amazing!!

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Trysh wrote: "Oh that's amazing!!"

Yep, it is a rather good watching them squirm! The other one is would you like to see what a publishing contract looks like, I think I have a photograph of my first contract in my phone!

message 17: by Trysh (new)

Trysh (tryshx) | 100 comments I get a lot of funky looks from family members when they ask what I write and I tell them fantasy... One of my friends responded "I didn't know you were into that stuff..."

I was thinking, "Didn't know I was into that stuff? What stuff?"

message 18: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 47 comments lolz. Most folks where I live don't care that I write. I get a 'oh, honey that's nice' and a pat on the head. >_< never mind I have to lug around a bag of thick books to show them I'm telling the truth. Then it's how many pages (never how much it costs or what it's about). Anything over 250 and it's oh lawd ain't nobody got time for that. Sigh...

message 19: by Renee E (new)

Renee E | 49 comments You know, sometimes it's handy to pull out the "I'm a writer" thing when you really want to get away from someone, or a group of someones. :D

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Renee wrote: "You know, sometimes it's handy to pull out the "I'm a writer" thing when you really want to get away from someone, or a group of someones. :D"

Lol. Watch their eyes glaze over whilst you frantically search the room for someone you know to rescue you should the ploy backfire!

message 21: by Sarah (last edited Aug 07, 2014 09:41AM) (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Trysh wrote: "I get a lot of funky looks from family members when they ask what I write and I tell them fantasy... One of my friends responded "I didn't know you were into that stuff..."

I was thinking, "Didn't..."

LOL. That's because their fantasies are probably S.E.X. related! You may need to elaborate a little on your chosen genre in order to avoid such replies, Trysh.

message 22: by Trysh (new)

Trysh (tryshx) | 100 comments well, there is some sex in my writing... it's fun to write. lol

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Trysh wrote: "well, there is some sex in my writing... it's fun to write. lol"

It is rather, isn't it. Growing Old Disgracefully will shock quite a few family members, if of course they bother to read it! My baby sister, Claire, will however be first in line for a signed copy, she's one of my beta readers!

I have two scenarios in the first 3 chapters, where one of the guys is tied to the bed and chastised with a riding crop, followed by a near bdsm episode where my character, Cassie, shaves the guys nether regions bare as a badger, a lesbian love/sex scene. That made for interesting writing as I have never been bicurious!

message 24: by Sarah (last edited Aug 08, 2014 11:37AM) (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ravishl... This reporter really hated 50 Shades. I don't remember reading any of paragraphs she quoted...silly me, that would be because the sex scenes were boring and I speed read them! They didn't get any better this time around, either, they're still cringeworthy.

message 25: by Trysh (new)

Trysh (tryshx) | 100 comments Your book sounds like tons of fun. Can't wait to read it.

message 26: by Trysh (new)

Trysh (tryshx) | 100 comments Sarah wrote: "http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ravishl... This reporter really hated 50 Shades. I don't remember reading any of paragraphs she quote..."

I enjoyed Fifty Shades because it was a book I could speed read, honestly. The writer of the article made a lot of really good points. Perhaps the sex scenes in the movie will be great considering we won't have some of the more disturbing descriptive words.

message 27: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 47 comments lolz interesting sex scenes. i'm personally bad at writing them, so i don't include them. or romance. bad at that too. ugh, why everybody gotta be fiendzoned?

message 28: by Ingrid, Just another writer. (new)

Trysh wrote: "Sarah wrote: "http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ravishl... This reporter really hated 50 Shades. I don't remember reading any of paragr..."

If you've watched the trailer, you might think otherwise. The director tried so hard to blend the sex into their chemical romance, which served purpose to the male-dominator theme. However, once i read the review for the book, i realized one thing: if christian grey wasn't alluringly rich and beautiful, and he was a regular-looking middle-income American, who performed the same tactics as 'Grey' (i.e., causing welts on a girl's naked figure, chaining, owning a bright 'red room' filled with scary-looking machinery,) This whole plot would look abusive. Funny how beauty and wealth affect the visual-psyche of society.

message 29: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 47 comments right

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Trysh wrote: "Your book sounds like tons of fun. Can't wait to read it."

I've had positive comments so far, I'm about halfway through give or take a few thousand words. Somebody on Linked in asked if comedy erotica was even a genre!

Well if it wasn't before, it is now! Sex doesn't have to be just intense, it should also be enjoyable. My character, Cassie, is having fun after being stuck in a loveless marriage and then being unceremoniously dumped by her husband at a Golf club dinner in front of all her friends.

My imagination sometimes runs away with me!

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Ingrid wrote: "Trysh wrote: "Sarah wrote: "http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ravishl... This reporter really hated 50 Shades. I don't remember reading..."

Yes, I watched the trailer, and yes I will probably go and see the film, it certainly appears to be better portrayed than the book, and without her awful descriptions I will probably enjoy it. I'm not sure I agree with the pain aspect I personally wouldn't want to be beaten but they are consenting adults. I think being blindfolded could be a bit of a turn on though I've never actually tried it!

message 32: by Ingrid, Just another writer. (new)

Sarah wrote: "Trysh wrote: "Your book sounds like tons of fun. Can't wait to read it."

I've had positive comments so far, I'm about halfway through give or take a few thousand words. Somebody on Linked in ask..."

Comedy erotica...That sounds entertaining:)

message 33: by Renee E (new)

Renee E | 49 comments Sarah wrote: "http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ravishl... This reporter really hated 50 Shades. I don't remember reading any of paragraphs she quote..."

Haven't read it and have no plans on it as there are far too many other ORIGINAL books to read, but . . .

To be fair, some of the words cited for repetitions look like parts of dialogue, or at least a character's exclamations, and, in life, we all have exclamations, catchphrases, words, that we use habitually, so I can't fault a writer for having her/his characters do the same. That's staying true to voice.

message 34: by Sarah (last edited Aug 09, 2014 10:26AM) (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Ingrid wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Trysh wrote: "Your book sounds like tons of fun. Can't wait to read it."

I've had positive comments so far, I'm about halfway through give or take a few thousand words. Somebody on..."

Some would call it erotica, but I prefer to call it a 'hot' comedy romance, because nothing ever goes strictly according to the big plan, life situations tend to intrude.

Like taking coffee to your 18 year old son's room when he's entertaining his girlfriend and not knocking before opening the door... or your 6 year old peering through the keyhole and announcing loudly that you aren't wearing underwear!

message 35: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Sarah wrote: "Ingrid wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Trysh wrote: "Your book sounds like tons of fun. Can't wait to read it."

I've had positive comments so far, I'm about halfway through give or take a few thousand word..."

So I have been reading through this lately (just because I happened to have read the Fifty Shades of Grey article) and don't mean to barge in, but here is a comment that the last part of your comment brought to mind, I thought it was kind of funny (the things little kids do right?).

A friend's small child commented to me that Momma and Daddy don't allow her to bounce on their bed with them. She further commented that Momma and Daddy like to wrestle without clothes....Took me a moment to put two and two together and said friend was a little embarrassed. A couple weeks later she said that they always have the door closed but figured out how she was peeking while they had "adult" time. Apparently the gap underneath the door is big enough for their daughter to peer through and she can see their reflections in a floor length mirror on the opposite wall.

message 36: by Sarah (last edited Aug 10, 2014 07:33AM) (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Funny and embarrassing, all at the same time! Eventually we filled the keyhole with blue tac to stop the little monster peering through it and put a bolt on the door to stop her from coming in un-invited!

As for the shock I got delivering coffee and biscuits my son thought it was hilarious, his girlfriend couldn't look me in the eye for days, and I just chalked it up to experience! Fify shades of embarrassment who wants to add to the list?

message 37: by Renee E (new)

Renee E | 49 comments And then there's the apocryphal story of the little boy who runs out into the living room — in front of his mother and her friends having coffee — yelling, "LOOK, I'M A UNICORN" with a strap-on on his head . . .

You know that's had to happen, sometime, somewhere . . .

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Renee wrote: "And then there's the apocryphal story of the little boy who runs out into the living room — in front of his mother and her friends having coffee — yelling, "LOOK, I'M A UNICORN" with a strap-on on ..."

Lol! That would be really embarrassing! Glad I don't have any of those in my house, neither the little boy or the strap on!

My sister once stole one of my bras, put it on over her jumper stuffing socks in the cups to fill it out and paraded around the garden until the neighbour dobbed her in to my dad. His eyesight wasn't that good and her jumper, skin coloured...trouble is he thought it was me parading around the garden in my undies!

message 39: by Renee E (new)

Renee E | 49 comments Kharma, my Fila, used to steal things like my shoes or socks when she was a puppy and parade around with them. Never chewed them, just pranced through the house waving them around before she'd go curl up to take a nap with them.

THEN she hit adolescence. (I swear this is the truth) She switched from socks and shoes to my freakin' bras!

message 40: by Sarah (last edited Aug 10, 2014 09:00AM) (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Renee wrote: "Kharma, my Fila, used to steal things like my shoes or socks when she was a puppy and parade around with them. Never chewed them, just pranced through the house waving them around before she'd go c..."

So did my son, and son in law one evening, mind they had partaken of several acoholic beverages...I have pictures too! Bras not shoes and socks!

message 41: by Trysh (new)

Trysh (tryshx) | 100 comments Wow, this thread kinda veered away from it's original purpose...

I was doing a read through of some of the chapters I had finished today, and I fell in love with one of my own lines in chapter five... lol. It's an awesome feeling to enjoy reading something after you've written it.

Quote:
"Ay dios mio!" Lucas stifled a laugh. "You want me to believe I have magic, fine. I have magic. I can wrap my head around that, yeah. But now you wanna tell me that fairies are real? No way. Demons and ghosts? Sure! But fairies?! Uh uh."
"You're spelling it wrong." Renny had slipped in sometime recently, and stood in the entryway.
"How do you know how I'm spelling it, eh? I'm talking!" He had started to raise his voice, and was halfway to a yell.
"I can tell by how you say it. You say it like you're in a Disney movie. The fae aren't cute little pixies flitting around kidnapping children and teaching them to fly."

^_^

message 42: by Sarah (last edited Aug 11, 2014 03:24AM) (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Trysh wrote: "Wow, this thread kinda veered away from it's original purpose...

I was doing a read through of some of the chapters I had finished today, and I fell in love with one of my own lines in chapter fiv..."

We have a tendancy to do that sometimes, one comment leads to several others...eh voila, c'est parti!

I have a favourite line from Cally's Secret... 'Sex with you is like my mother's coffee...Instant!'

And one from The Menorah Murders ... “Yeah, I know, but it really riles me when they start. For two pins I’d smack him right between the eyes as big as he is. You know what they say about big men, Jimmy. They have little dicks, and that’s why they have big feet and mouths, to compensate!”

And The House of Death... Antonio was the Popsicle you just had to lick! Not exactly what the crazy man was waiting to hear. No, what he wanted to hear was how Antonio had tricked her into sleeping with him. Which was untrue—so desperate had she been to ‘lick the popsicle’ she’d practically thrown herself at him. She knew the consequences of having unprotected sex, and still she’d said yes. Careful went out of the window, along with her morals, the first time Antonio kissed her.

This is just the tip of the iceberg...funny how they are all three connected to SEX!

message 43: by Trysh (new)

Trysh (tryshx) | 100 comments I really like the first two! ^_^

message 44: by Sarah (last edited Aug 11, 2014 08:53AM) (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Trysh wrote: "I really like the first two! ^_^"

Thank you, Trysh. I like the quote about Luke getting his head around the magic! I use French an awful lot, even in books not based in France.

The first book, Cally's Secret was based here in France for over half the book, the rest in Derbyshire, England.

The Menorah Murders was based in the Derbyshire Dales, briefly passing through Devon and Cornwall on their way to Jerusalem for the ending!

The House of Death was based on a true story without an ending, it begins in Vannes, France moves briefly to Atlanta, Georgia before returning to Vannes for the climax and ending.

My WIP Growing Old Disgracefully is set in Malmsbury, in Wiltshire, England and looks like it will stay there for the duration...The perks of being an author are many fold not only that you get to choose the where, the when, and the how!

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments A paragraph from the said WIP...

No, what she needed now was a large G & T, swiftly followed by several others—erasing tonight from her memory completely. Though she doubted there was enough gin in the house to achieve it. Imagining herself lying naked in a bathtub, full to the brim with gin and tonic, sucking on a gigantic straw, as a titanic sized block of ice floated aimlessly about her surrounded by chunks of lemon. Figuring if you were going to lose the plot, it was best to do it big time.

message 46: by Trysh (new)

Trysh (tryshx) | 100 comments The book is set in Las Cruces, NM/Organ Mountains (also NM), with parts in a made up place...

Lucas is a Mexican immigrant and speaks Spanglish ^_^... Earlier in the story he almost completely reverts to Spanish as a defensive mechanism.

I wish I could speak French. I know enough to "My name is Trysh" and I could understand that teensy bit you said before. I would like to learn, but the pronunciations throw me for a loop.

My favorite part of the quote was Renny's part though.

message 47: by Trysh (new)

Trysh (tryshx) | 100 comments Most of the people characters are of Irish decent though. There's some Gaelic in there too. I don't speak Gaelic, but it was just little stuff so I used google translate... Oh I had fun that day. I made my computer talk to me in Welsh all for the sake of research.

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Trysh wrote: "The book is set in Las Cruces, NM/Organ Mountains (also NM), with parts in a made up place...

Lucas is a Mexican immigrant and speaks Spanglish ^_^... Earlier in the story he almost completely rev..."

If you already speak Spanish, French should come pretty easy apart from the verb forms and all the different forms of I, me, he, she, we, you/yours, them/theirs etc,. After 11 years I still sometimes goof up and use the wrong ones!

Even the alphabet is different G is J and vice-versa, w is pronounced doublevay,v vay, x eexs, y egrec!

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Trysh wrote: "Most of the people characters are of Irish decent though. There's some Gaelic in there too. I don't speak Gaelic, but it was just little stuff so I used google translate... Oh I had fun that day...."

Welsh is very much like the Breton language, I can speak a little Breton, and understand about 80% depending on how thick the persons accent is, and I am able to translate the same into English and French.

Yemat is 'cheers' in Breton, capel is chapel, skol is school, house is ty.

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Appearing seconds later in the centre of the pool, like Aphrodite, rising majestically from beneath the water. Her vivid red curls swirling like serpents around her shoulders, and cascading around her naked form.
Driscoll and the constable stood mesmerised; the man with the camera forgotten.
“If only my grandmother looked like that.” Exclaimed the photographer. Driscoll cast the young man a scathing glance. “Who gave you permission to speak?”
“Sorry, I was just thinking out loud.”
“Yeah, well don’t. Or you might find yourself locked up for the night. Go on, hoppit, and I don’t want to see your face around here again. Got that.”

The above quote from GOD reminds me of a Tina Turner fan's quote!

« previous 1