Play Book Tag discussion

The Shepherd's Hut
This topic is about The Shepherd's Hut
Archive: Other Books > The Shepherd's Hut - Tim Winton 5/5

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole D. | 1497 comments "...I suspect that God is what you do, not who or what you believe in."

This book is what would happen if Holden Caulfield was on the lam in Western Australia.  People have been raving about this book, and I didn't think I was going to be one of them for an early percentage of the book.  It's coarse and harsh, and I don't mind harsh, but it's survival harsh - like eating bugs and killing bush animals for food.  The cute hoppy kind.

I don't want to say too much about the story, but Jaxie finds himself parched and hungry at the edge of a pink salt lake.  This is where he discovers the Shepherd's Hut and where the story took off.  It was the slowest most magnificent build of a tale until the end where I couldn't flip the Kindle pages fast enough.  Winton is a fantastic writer (though be warned, a lot of Aussie slang is used along with myriad f-bombs and c-drops.)  He spares not a care for the squeamish.

This is a travelogue (of sorts) of Western Australia, a tale of survival and friendship.  Of introspection and examination of life and death.  I absolutely loved it, and as it wound down, I was wishing there were more.  My guess is we'll be hearing more about this book in the coming months.

Susie | 4488 comments Tim Winton is such a wonderful writer. I’m glad he’s still on his game and I’m really looking forward to reading this one. Thanks for your review.

Nicole D. | 1497 comments This was my first one by him. I tried the other one you recommended on audio, but the accent was too much so I have to read it, but it was so good.

Nicole D. | 1497 comments (and now I REALLY want to go to West Oz, been to East.)

Susie | 4488 comments I’ve never been to the West ever their. It’s so far!! My husband goes to Perth a lot for work. We plan to go some time. It is supposed to be amazing.

Susie | 4488 comments Bah! Auto correct! ever their = either.

message 7: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5153 comments Ok, another one for the TBR...

message 8: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5153 comments And darn, I have to wait till it comes out on the 19th!