Lucy Preston Literary Society discussion

Timeless: The Series > Timeless Costumes history

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahreadsroyals) | 20 comments I'm not sure what folder put this but I'll let mods to organize this topic.

I have another question for you all. I'm obsessed with Timeless costumes (especially Emma's Chinatown dress, 😍) and only recently I found myself wondering if there's any good nonfiction book out there that talks about the history of fashion, for both females and males. I may or may not going to recreate some of the costumes... 🙈

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth | 15 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm not sure what folder put this but I'll let mods to organize this topic.

I have another question for you all. I'm obsessed with Timeless costumes (especially Emma's Chinatown dress, 😍) and onl..."

Hi Sarah! I'm fascinated by the costumes, too, and the way fashion has evolved. I've been looking for a good book to read - there are lots about specific designers, but I'm more interested in the broad evolution of style. There's one that looks interesting called "How to Read a Dress," by Lydia Edwards. I haven't ordered it yet, but I'd love to read with you if you want to tackle this or another book about the history of fashion!

message 3: by Gina (new)

Gina Weber | 7 comments I’m so glad others are interested in this too. While I have loved and appreciated everything from the Smithsonian reviews, I was kinda disappointed that they did not delve into fashion in the Chinatown episode. I was hoping to learn more about that.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth | 15 comments I’m so excited - Mari-An Ceo, the Timeless costume designer, responded to my question about fashion history books on Instagram! She’s going to look through her library to share suggestions for good books we could read. ❤️

message 5: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 20 comments That's awesome Beth. I just found this interview/article about her work. Have you seen it?
http://www.goldderby.com/article/2018...

message 6: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 27 comments Mod
Beth wrote: "I’m so excited - Mari-An Ceo, the Timeless costume designer, responded to my question about fashion history books on Instagram! She’s going to look through her library to share suggestions for good..."

Beth, that is so cool!

Sarah, to answer your original question, I bought this book from Barnes & Noble a long time ago - Fashion: A History from the 18th to 20th Century

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth | 15 comments Aileen wrote: "That's awesome Beth. I just found this interview/article about her work. Have you seen it?
http://www.goldderby.com/article/2018......"

I hadn’t read that - what a great article!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahreadsroyals) | 20 comments Beth wrote: "I’m so excited - Mari-An Ceo, the Timeless costume designer, responded to my question about fashion history books on Instagram! She’s going to look through her library to share suggestions for good..."

Did you hear back from Mari-An Ceo yet?

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth | 15 comments Sarah wrote: "Beth wrote: "I’m so excited - Mari-An Ceo, the Timeless costume designer, responded to my question about fashion history books on Instagram! She’s going to look through her library to share suggest..."

Sadly no, I never heard from her.

message 10: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 20 comments Renee wrote: "Kind of off topic maybe...but does anyone have a good picture of Lucy’s last dress in Hollywood Land? The one she wears as they drive away in the car. It’s a pink-ish hue I believe. I love it so mu..."

This dress? https://imgur.com/a/woZP6Xc

message 11: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 20 comments https://www.instagram.com/marianceo/ ask her in Instagram. feel free to copy screensaver for it

message 12: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 20 comments I hope you do. :)

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy Bowker | 4 comments Here's a full length picture of that dress.
https://seat42f.com/timeless-season-2...

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth | 15 comments There’s a great Twitter account (@TriviaTimeless) that’s sharing details and historical context for Timeless costumes - it’s very interesting!

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy Bowker | 4 comments Beth wrote: "There’s a great Twitter account (@TriviaTimeless) that’s sharing details and historical context for Timeless costumes - it’s very interesting!"

Thanks for posting that, Beth!

message 16: by Sarah (last edited Jul 10, 2018 01:51PM) (new)

Sarah (sarahreadsroyals) | 20 comments Hi everyone! I went to the library another day and I found this great book, The Cut of Women's Clothes: 1600-1930. I had only begun to read it but it was very interesting if anyone is interested era between 1600s-1930s. I don't know if it is still in publication since the book is quite very old, way older than me! (Circa 1960s) and I thought you all might be interested as also. :)

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth | 15 comments Sarah wrote: "Hi everyone! I went to the library another day and I found this great book, The Cut of Women's Clothes: 1600-1930. I had only begun to read it but it was very interesting if anyone i..."

That looks like an amazing book - thank you for telling us about it! Sounds like you had a great find, too, since the copies on Amazon are really expensive. I'll keep an eye out for a copy at my library, too!

message 18: by Magrace (new)

Magrace Landwehr | 1 comments I took a period costuming class in college that used Fashion: The Definitive History of Costume and Style as a textbook. It was absolutely beautiful to look through! The pictures are just gorgeous, and the examples are wonderful. To this day, it's still one of my favorites to just browse.

message 19: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Barfield | 2 comments I absolutely loved that dress on her! Timeless covered so many things that were (still are) of great interest! Thanks for the info!

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy Bowker | 4 comments Renee wrote: "For those who were still wondering..! Dress #3 in Hollywoodland (the one Lucy wears the morning after) was a vintage find! Not hand made by the costume department. Marian Ceo got back to me on inst..."

Thanks for the info!