Play Book Tag discussion

The Outsider
This topic is about The Outsider
Archive: Other Books > The Outsider, Stephen King - 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivia S | 6 comments So this is a new Stephen King book, so I enjoyed it, and found it pretty readable, but it's not one of his best. I found the beginning much more compelling, but felt quite disappointed by the ending. This presented as if it was going to be a real-world mystery, mostly. The introduction of the supernatural felt out of place, unlike his usual novels in which I find it blends seamlessly. It seemed like a bit of a deus ex machina, honestly, and just lost my interest. Maybe I would have found it less of a jarring transition if I'd read Finders Keepers and End of Watch, and recognized that this was the same world and I should have the same expectations, but honestly, I wasn't wild on Mr. Mercedes, so maybe I just don't like this subset of the King universe. Overall, a bit disappointing.

message 2: by Charlie (new)

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 515 comments Olivia wrote: "So this is a new Stephen King book, so I enjoyed it, and found it pretty readable, but it's not one of his best. I found the beginning much more compelling, but felt quite disappointed by the endin..."

I love S. King but have dropped out of contention in the last 10 years from being a Constant Reader. The last of his I read that I really liked was Doctor Sleep. Sorry you didn't like this one, always disappointing when a beloved author has a miss.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I really liked the first two in the Bill Hodges trilogy not HATED the third. It’s put me off! This sounds like I don’t need to go out of my way.

Olivia S | 6 comments Charlie wrote: "Olivia wrote: "So this is a new Stephen King book, so I enjoyed it, and found it pretty readable, but it's not one of his best. I found the beginning much more compelling, but felt quite disappoint..."
I did read Sleeping Beauties a few months ago and really enjoyed that one, so he still has it, it's just not a hundred percent.