What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Fae in urban fantasy

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Av (last edited Jun 03, 2018 09:10AM) (new)

Av | 29 comments Looking for books about the fae in which they live on our world, urban fantasy type books. Please no vampires, etc. just fae. I really liked the ones by Richelle Mead (Storm Queen books) and I like the bits of them that appear in Patricia Briggs's books. Also have read the ones by Laurell K. Hamilton. Thanks!

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 1 comments "Tithe" by Holly Black is the beginning of a modern fairytale series.

"Splintered" by AG Howard is a modern telling of Alice in Wonderland.

Both are towards the dark side of fantasy and of the fae world. Very cool!!

message 3: by Av (new)

Av | 29 comments Tithe looks good. Thanks.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott Have you read Charles de Lint? He has several.

message 5: by Av (new)

Av | 29 comments No, I haven't, thanks.

message 6: by Av (new)

Av | 29 comments Are you talking about The Ottawa and The Valley series? thanks

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott I was thinking more of the Newford books, but most anything of his would qualify.

message 9: by Lou (new)

Lou Rocama | 437 comments The Chrome Borne, although the cover is horrifically bad. Bedlam's Bard has a (slightly) less awful cover.

War for the Oaks is supposed to be good, though I admit I've not read it.

message 10: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1429 comments Have a look at 'the Lost Girl' series. I only saw the tv series which I really liked, but that was based on the fae in our world. h was a succubus who had no idea what she was until her powers kicked in, and later she stumbled into the 'fae world' around her and had to figure out how to work it. There's far & werewolves, but don't remember any vamps. There could be, but it's all (at least the tv series) based around the fae courts trying to entice her to a side.

message 11: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments The Green Man: Tales from the Mythic Forest has several stories about this.

message 12: by Av (new)

Av | 29 comments Scott wrote: "I was thinking more of the Newford books, but most anything of his would qualify."

Thanks, there are a lot of Newford books! I guess I should start with looking at number 1.

message 13: by Av (new)

Av | 29 comments Lou wrote: "The Chrome Borne, although the cover is horrifically bad. Bedlam's Bard has a (slightly) less awful cover.

War for the Oaks is supposed to be good, though I..."

These all sound like fun, I would never have found them without you. Thanks!

message 14: by Av (new)

Av | 29 comments MJ wrote: "Have a look at 'the Lost Girl' series. I only saw the tv series which I really liked, but that was based on the fae in our world. h was a succubus who had no idea what she was until her powers kick..."

I remember this series. I don't know how to find it again. I'll check out and see if it's streaming somewhere. Thanks!

message 15: by Av (last edited Jun 03, 2018 05:19PM) (new)

Av | 29 comments Rosa wrote: "The Green Man: Tales from the Mythic Forest has several stories about this."

The Green Man is a great Fae legend. Thanks for the find.

message 16: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6966 comments Mod
The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey. The first in a trilogy, having to do with fairy godmothers in the current world.

Born to Run this is the first book in a series again. About elves who are hiding out and pretending to make cars--which are actually their Steeds.

The Reading Raccoon (readingraccoon) | 145 comments You might like these series:
Agent of Enchantment
Covert Fae

message 18: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1429 comments I'm almost certain that the Lost Girl series was based on a book series. But I was a couple of seasons in before I found out and never got around to the books.

message 19: by Av (new)

Av | 29 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey. The first in a trilogy, having to do with fairy godmothers in the current world.

Born to Run this is the first book ..."

Thank you for your suggestion!

message 20: by Av (new)

Av | 29 comments Tricia wrote: "You might like these series:
Agent of Enchantment
Covert Fae"

Thank you. The Covert Fae book likes fun.

message 21: by Av (new)

Av | 29 comments Tricia wrote: "You might like these series:
Agent of Enchantment
Covert Fae"

Thanks, Covert Fae sounds like a lot of fun.

message 22: by Av (new)

Av | 29 comments MJ wrote: "I'm almost certain that the Lost Girl series was based on a book series. But I was a couple of seasons in before I found out and never got around to the books."

Hi, I looked it up on Wikipedia and it didn't mention their being books connected. I appreciated your thinking about it. Thanks

message 23: by Av (new)

Av | 29 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey. The first in a trilogy, having to do with fairy godmothers in the current world.

Born to Run this is the first book ..."

Thanks, I'm looking for something a little different, but I want to check these out.

message 24: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Year One has fey in it. About magic returning to the world.

Unshapely Things

Knife The Fairies may be a bit smaller than you're looking for, but this is a pretty good book

Legacies The Fae are in this series to a smaller extent, but the Wild Ride is involved, which makes it pretty cool.

Spellcast

message 25: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 191 comments I also think Tithe by Holly Black is a good suggestion along with The Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr

message 26: by CrazyUnicorn (new)

CrazyUnicorn | 225 comments October Daye series by Seanan McGuire

message 27: by CrazyUnicorn (new)

CrazyUnicorn | 225 comments Alex Craft series by Kalayna Price

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 6 comments I may have missed someone recommending it, but if you want fae you HAVE TO read the fever series by Karen Marie Moning!

The Reading Raccoon (readingraccoon) | 145 comments Karen Marie Moning
Has a series of books about the fae called the "Fever" series