WLE "Kids Deserve It!" discussion

June 4- Introduction- Chapter 2

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Jun 03, 2018 06:03PM) (new)

Sarah Schafer | 15 comments Mod
1) How do you define complacency in the education field? In what ways do/can you/we fight complacency “to give our students the best possible education" (pg xii)?

2) “...is about stepping out on a limb even if that limb might break- doing something unexplored and unexpected.” (pg 17) In what ways can we work as a WLE family to encourage one another to step out on a limb?

3) “We live in a world where we can no longer claim ignorance- only an unwillingness to learn.” (pg 24) How does this quote speak to you with regards to; what we know about our students? Networking with other professionals? Our commitment to continual learning?

message 2: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria Walker | 8 comments WLE reads KIDS DESERVE IT

#1 - *In my opinion,* complacency in education encompasses doing the same thing, every year, over and over... also, defined as “comfortableness...” To fight complacency we can find “our people: other educators who are as passionate and restless as we” (p. 21). “Our people” enable us to get connected with others and find our personal “pusher” - someone who gets more out of us then we thought possible; to inspire us to climb higher and faster than we have before (p. 21). Another strategy to “fight complacency,” is to encourage (or drag - lol) others to attend various trainings with you! Trainings with friends makes it more enjoyable for all parties involved! Plus, y’all will have more knowledge to share with everyone!

#3 - The quote, “We live in a world where we can no longer claim ignorance - only an unwillingness to learn” (p. 24) speaks volumes for educators in today’s society. The examples Nesloney provides (google searching when WE don’t know something or watching YouTube videos to learn how to do something) tie directly into how our kids are learning! We have technology at our fingertips (case in point: I’m participating via the goodreads app on my iPhone)... Our students are learning more rapidly through internet access.. We should continue to stay “up to date” with current trends or fads that tie into our students’ interests in and out of the classroom! Making a commitment to learning encompasses way more than just standards and curriculum.. We make a commitment to learn our new set of kiddos year after year to meet their learning needs! Professional networking is another example of making a commitment to learning! I learn something new from fellow teachers every day! Sharing ideas and past experiences with one another can spark new and innovative ideas to enhance classroom experiences! PLUS! You never know who you’ll meet outside WLE’s walls who will help make our school a better learning environment!

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Lynn | 2 comments #1. I believe Complacency in education is having that laissez faire attitude and getting comfortable. Just repeating the same lessons and ideas year after year because you know them and are familiar. When really, while overall components and standards may remain the same, education, along with everything else around us, is constantly evolving and changing and we need to be willing to keep up with those changes to make learning new and exciting for our students, plus I think that will help make things a little more exciting for the teacher as well.

#2. I think we have a lot of WLE teachers that do a great job of going out on those limbs and trying new and exciting things, so I would just encourage more of them to share those ideas openly. I know the book says we all can build that creativity, but I think a lot more people would be willing to step out of their comfort zones if they knew they weren’t alone and had those confident people who already try there to push and encourage them.

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda Davis | 9 comments Q1- I can NOT see / hear any evidence of complacency in any teachers I talk to. Teachers may be defeated or angry but they are passionate not complacent. Complacent people don't try until it wears them out and then try harder. I feel that I am among and one of many teachers who are passionately searching improvements in teaching to meet students' needs. We shouldn't mistake struggle for complacency.
Ms. Walker mentioned a reference to the book-finding our people-I have some teachers who I can ask a question of and get a quick answer which I can take and more forward with, but the ONLY way I can do that is by giving up how I think they will judge my question. The educators who I can ask a question of are experts who can also see that although I didn't know something they know, I probably do know something they don't. And, I admitted to them my ignorance because kids deserve a teacher who will get the answers even if it somehow reflects less than positively on herself.
Q2-We can encourage others to step out on a limb by putting out the statement that there won't be negative consequences for reasonable attempts to explore something new. We have to say that and act that way with teachers and students.
Happy reading of the next section!
P.S. Thanks to Mrs. Warren's help, I moved this response to the correct discussion.

message 5: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria Walker | 8 comments Linda wrote: "Q1- I can NOT see / hear any evidence of complacency in any teachers I talk to. Teachers may be defeated or angry but they are passionate not complacent. Complacent people don't try until it wears ..."

Linda, I can totally relate to you needing to "give up" thinking that you will be judged for asking questions. We tell our students to "ask away" and "take risks" because you never know if someone else has your same question! We (as teachers) need to have that same growth mindset. To learn, we have to ask those questions, even if we feel "silly" or "uncomfortable!" If we don't ask, we won't get the answer! We'll keep asking the questions to benefit our students!

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Shissler | 8 comments 1) How do you define complacency in the education field? In what ways do/can you/we fight complacency “to give our students the best possible education" (pg xii)?

Complacency is a word that makes me uneasy. Complacency is " self-satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers or deficiencies. For me, there is a feeling that comes with it, of not doing or trying what I know I should do or try. In my flesh, it's super easy to do the same thing and get in a rut, while all the while letting complacency set in. "Unaware of deficiencies"... YIKES! I really don't want to be that teacher!!!! I never desire to just get by year after year teaching these little ones and not strive for the full potential within myself. So, things that have helped me along the way is always taking the mindset of making things new each year. I agree with Nicole, standards and curriculum stay the same, but our delivery can change, if not for our students, for us so we don't get bored. I desire to be that teacher that is always looking for new ways to deliver the "same curriculum". This year I connected with a colleague and visited her class to do just that. Coming back with new ideas from someone else that you admire and look up to is helpful to stay out of the pit of complacency. So #1, we must frequently do a self-check when we feel we are falling into a complacent season and then #2, recognize we are there and get out of it, go surf on Pinterest, take a walk with a colleague you look up to and drill her/him for new ideas, go to trainings, watch podcasts, and just THINK the words "new" and "different" in our teaching and for my classroom and students!!!!

message 7: by Katrin (last edited Jun 07, 2018 05:07PM) (new)

Katrin | 6 comments #2: Putting yourself out there to share and learn ideas is one way to "step out on a limb." I think more people would be likely to do that if they weren't fearful of being judged or criticized like Linda and Alex said. Continuing to encourage collaboration between colleagues will allow people to share and learn creative ways of teaching different standards and lessons. I know that I would benefit from this especially in an area where I am struggling to come up with a different idea or way of teaching something. Getting out of our comfort zones and taking risks is something that can make us all better educators and I think working with others would help move that process along. Sometimes we all get so bogged down on what's going on in our own classroom that we miss out on opportunities to collaborate with others to learn and do something "unexplored and unexpected." I think this also connects with being complacent because if we are putting ourselves out there to share unique ideas or learn something new to implement, it will only benefit ourselves, our school, and our kids.

message 8: by Dina (new)

Dina | 7 comments Several comments in this book tugged at my heart as a teacher. Our role as educators is to step out on that limb and do something that might be unexpected....in other words....what is best for our kids. I love the statement that our "memories are based on emotional experiences." This reminded me of the book we read- "Teach Like a Pirate." It's okay to create opportunities to make learning memorable for our students. So many of our teachers at WLE do "think out of the box" and go "out on a limb." Let's continue to support each other and collaborate as we step "outside our comfort zones."

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Linda wrote: "Q1- I can NOT see / hear any evidence of complacency in any teachers I talk to. Teachers may be defeated or angry but they are passionate not complacent. Complacent people don't try until it wears ..."

Linda, I am glad that you were able to get some help to respond under the feed too! I agree, I think we have very passionate teachers that find motivation from one another to persevere.

Transparency and vulnerability play a huge role in us being able to learn from one another! Being able to rely on each other without judgement is critical to our success and survival.. and the success of the children!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Kelly wrote: "1) How do you define complacency in the education field? In what ways do/can you/we fight complacency “to give our students the best possible education" (pg xii)?

Complacency is a word that makes..."

I agree, complacency is a scary thought! But being aware of how we might fall into it is half the battle! I love that you combat complacency with visiting other classrooms to stay abreast of what your colleagues are doing!

message 11: by Sarah (new)

1) and 3) to me, the ideas and questions around the topics of #1 and #3 go hand in hand.

While you can have complacency in many different avenues, I was most stuck by the complacency that we might engage in when it comes to our own professional development. An unwillingness to learn speaks to being complacent in your own growth. At one point in the text it says, (paraphrasing here) how can we ask our students to be continual learners if we, ourselves, do not expect the same of ourselves.

Those concepts together spoke volumes to me about how I need to continue to challenge myself to grow and learn in new ways. Much of this might be technology based, which is NOT my strong suit. After reading these chapters, that will be my renewed commitment to myself and the profession.

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 6 comments Questions 1, 2, 3 --Most of the above comments defined complacency well. It’s important we don’t continue with the same things over and over every year. The students in our classroom change every year; therefore, how we teach should also change with their needs. The authors are correct in the fact that there is so much technology and resources out there for teachers. With there being so much of this information, it’s important for us as teachers to sift through, question, get opinions and decide what will work for the students we have. There is a quote on page 34, “With great risk comes great reward.” Taking the new information learned and applying it! Scary, but necessary. Also, to not give up after the first try. Sometimes it takes a little practice and adjustment for new ideas to work. I think that is where the “thinking partner” comes in to play. We need someone that will be honest and have the time to watch a lesson (video or live), to bounce off ideas, or to ask questions. It doesn’t matter how many years you have taught, everyone has unique and creative ideas or feedback.
(Kelly A. )

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 9 comments 1) I agreed with all that has been said about complacency. At the same time I have been compelled to defend some of the tried and true lessons. I actually have a few lessons that I have done almost every year since I interned. Reason is, these are well established lessons that teach important, often many, benchmarks. Since I only see students 30 minutes once a week, which totals 18 -19 hours per year at the max, I need very good quality lessons that will meet my standards. Each grade level does different lessons because the benchmarks are different, so each year the lesson is new to the new group of students. However; I still make changes. Sometimes I change the materials we are using, or the presentation of the lesson itself or something else. We also need some tried and true lessons when issues outside of the 4 walls of classroom arise, or so many things are going on at school and it's just not a good time to devote to the new. Early on in my career, I longed for complacency, because as an art teacher, every thing I did was totally brand new. We are given standards, but the creativity is left to us to implement how we want it. Each time I thought, I'm ready , I have it all, then changes were made in the county. Our standards did change and EET brought in changes of how to present lessons. So I have never felt complacent. With all that being said, I do look forward to Professional Study Days when we are presented with new ideas and I love Pinterest and a few Art websites that I can go to to find fresh ideas. I do mix up the old with brand new each year.