Stephen King Book Club discussion

Joyland > Joyland: Pages 188 - 283 *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Jun 05, 2018 09:53AM) (new)

Lisa (lisarhianon) | 56 comments Mod
Here you can start discussing pages 188 - 283 of Joyland!

Edit: As we all have different editions and this book has no chapters Sarah and I thought it would be a good idea to add the sentence we are starting each section from.

This third section is starting from the sentence 'The photo showed Eddie and a plain-faced women standing in the weedy front yard of an anonymous tract house.'

message 2: by Tiffany B. (new)

Tiffany B. | 11 comments I finished the book but I was reading on Kindle with no pages. Is this the end of the book? Or a middle section with more sections to come?

message 3: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Martinson | 24 comments Middle section :)

message 4: by Tiffany B. (new)

Tiffany B. | 11 comments Thanks. I don’t want to ruin with misplaced spoilers. Especially on my first book!!

message 5: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Martinson | 24 comments No sorry this is the end

message 6: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Martinson | 24 comments My app just freaked out n I thought I was commenting on the middle part ha

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Hey everyone! As we all have different editions and this book has no chapters Sarah and I thought it would be a good idea to add the first sentence of each section we are starting from. The pages should match up if you have a Hard Crime Illustrated edition.

Page 1: 'I had a car, but on most days in that fall of 1973 I walked to Joyland from Mrs Shoplaw's Beachside Accommodations in the town of Heaven's Bay.'
Page 95: '"Hear-hear!" Tom said, raising his own can.'
Page 188: 'The photo showed Eddie and a plain-faced women standing in the weedy front yard of an anonymous tract house.'

message 8: by Tiffany B. (new)

Tiffany B. | 11 comments So now I can make my comments!!! Wtf!! This is how you write a twist! I definitely did not see it coming. But I do have a question...what did Mike mean by “it’s not white”?

message 9: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Martinson | 24 comments So sorry about the mixup

message 10: by Tiffany B. (new)

Tiffany B. | 11 comments Hey the wtf wasn’t meant for you...sorry!! It was more like wtf this ending blew my mind!! 😁

message 11: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Martinson | 24 comments Oh no problem at all. Next book will go smoother on my mixups ha!

message 12: by Lisa (new)

I've just finished this book and wow! I wasn't sure what to expect going in but I really enjoyed it and the ending!!! I was so convinced that Fred Dean was the killer haha

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Tiffany B. wrote: "So now I can make my comments!!! Wtf!! This is how you write a twist! I definitely did not see it coming. But I do have a question...what did Mike mean by “it’s not white”?"

I think he was talking about Lane Hardy's hair being blonde not white

message 14: by Tiffany B. (new)

Tiffany B. | 11 comments I think the whole “it’s not white” seemed to be a thread he was weaving and kind of rushed to fit in. I think he’s referencing the hair color too, but doesn’t it turn out that he used to be blonde and his hair is ACTUALLY grey now anyway? I need to go back and re-read.

message 15: by delco (new)

delco (delcoreader) I just finished joyland. It may be SK’s first attempt at a crime story (I not sure, though) but it was actually better written then the most recent books...really good characters...am not sure about “it’s not white” reference...if it’s the hair then not really clear. I think Rozzie should have figured out Lane...just saying...

NC has beautiful beaches...very easy to visualize this park...

message 16: by Lisa (new)

delco wrote: "I just finished joyland. It may be SK’s first attempt at a crime story (I not sure, though) but it was actually better written then the most recent books...really good characters...am not sure abou..."

Yes I though the setting was easy to visualise too! Especially as I've never been to NC haha