College Students! discussion

college talk > School Newspaper Topics

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments So.. Im not sure if this should be college talk or regular life talk or whatever but at any rate...
Im on staff at my college newspaper and am headed into my 3rd year. I start school next week and would like to head to the first meeting armed and ready with ideas for topics. However, I'm coming up empty.
Just wondering if you guys would help me out. What would you like to read about? What issues do you wish your campus newspaper would write about?

Thanks a lot guys!
Oh! And feel free to check out our paper's website:
http://www.castletonspartan.com/

And I would love to read from some of your campus papers too if you have a website you would be willing to post!

Thanks again!

message 2: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Hmm..interesting topic! I'm going to think about it and then let you know! The first thing that came to my head though..because my school was located in Philly..is the new signing of Michael Vick to the Eagles. Half of the city is pissed about it...people have said.."Hide your beagles with Vick on the Eagles"..and the other half don't seem to care about his past with the dog fighting and are happy to have him on the team because he's good.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments ^ That's a good idea. You could also give information and statistics about dog fighting and raise awareness that way too. It's an important issue that not a lot of people seem to think about.

Maybe bring up the controversy with DADT that has come up recently. I keep coming across it in the news. It looks like a lot of people want to change it (finally). You could present both sides of the issue and maybe do a student poll.

You could talk about health care reform, maybe get student opinions and do a poll, as well as clear up some of the misconceptions about what the bill actually contains. You could also talk about how health care actually works in other countries aside from the scare stories we are getting from the news.

Also, you could do items of interest to your campus. Maybe interview the sports teams and get some feedback on how they think the season will go. Or talk to some of the bigger and more active clubs and see what they're hoping to do this year. Or maybe the newest clubs so people know what they are and what they do. Talk to some students about dorm and residential life and what they're looking forward to doing this semester.
Maybe you could put in a section of advice for Freshman to help them get settled and so they know what to expect. That kind of thing is always good to have. You could also have a list of places they need to know, like where to get books, where the cheapest places to eat are, where to go for late night pizza, etc. I had to figure all that stuff out on my own, so that could be a really cool thing to put in the paper.

message 4: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments Thanks a lot! And keep 'em coming! I save things that come up in my head but sometimes I feel like something that was pressing at the time doesnt feel as weighty later on. These are awesome though.
I love the idea about Vick (and I AM the ONLY girl on the sports page!) and I love the idea about tying in dog fighting stats. We are in Vermont but you would be suprised how many people are really interested in the subject- even way up here in New England!

Another one I thought of, actually, as I was reading these, was about where to buy books for cheap, what the mark-up is on books that we buy in the bookstore, and how many students actually buy their books elsewhere (other than on campus). Im guilty of loving controversy- anything that will allow students to come out ahead of the school (financial or otherwise) Im totally for. (And my staff advisor loves it too!)
What do you think about that idea????

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments I love the thing about books. I could have really used that kind of information my freshman year. I think it could really help people who need to save money to know how they can get their books cheaper.

message 6: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments Awesome- thank you all! I would love for people to keep adding to this! Saves me a brain cramp or two haha

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 16, 2009 08:00AM) (new)

Wow, there's loads...

Well a lot of student's aren't great at cooking, so maybe put in a few easy receipes. Also the cheapest places to buy food/best places to go dumpster diving. I'm not sure if dumpster diving is legal/not in the USA. If it's not, you probably won't be allowed to print it.

(I study human sexuality as part of my course so this issue is very close to my heart)..the sexual double standard that exists between men and women.

Maybe a 'Things you need to know' page. Like have different topics every time about politics, social issues, the environment etc that people might not know.

message 8: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

maybe a little spotlight on any exchange students studying at your school?

message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments Jamie wrote: "maybe a little spotlight on any exchange students studying at your school?"

LOVE THIS!

And thank you Roisu- I think with my advisor, we can get away with printing pretty much anything haha

message 10: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Another addition if you do decide to write the cheap text book piece. I saw on our Utah news last week a student that started a text book rental from his basement that has gotten huge. Might be an interesting tie-in.

message 11: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i thought of another good thing for the freshman.. maybe having an article highlighting some services that people might not know about..for example..on my campus..the writing lab where you can get upperclassman to help you with papers, career center, counseling services etc.

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments Jamie wrote: "i thought of another good thing for the freshman.. maybe having an article highlighting some services that people might not know about..for example..on my campus..the writing lab where you can get ..."

Thats a good idea however, Im almost certain that it is covered in their orientation and some are even required to go to the learning centers, etc. (varsity athletes, for exaple have to do so many hours). And I go to a very small school in comparison to most of the people on this site so there are not many services offered. But I do like that idea- maybe about new services or maybe even a need for more services or a requirement to attend study halls, etc.

Thanks Jamie!

message 13: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
This might fit more into the advertising part, but you could 'highlight' a student special for a local business (food discounts, clothes discounts, etc.) each issue. I know most students get strapped for cash at some time or other. It would be helpful for them to know where they can save some money.

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Maybe you can do something like a "Teacher of the Month...something like that..lol. Maybe you can interview a teacher...ask how long they been teaching and what their goal is as a teacher every semester/quarter. Let students know who the teachers are

message 15: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Something that Ashley's idea sparked..

perhaps having a senior spotlight..one from a different field of study..and ask them questions about internships and just different stuff like that and see what their plans are for the future..or even if you could get in touch with recent grads and see what they are doing with a certain degree.

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Ashley wrote: "Maybe you can do something like a "Teacher of the Month...something like that..lol. Maybe you can interview a teacher...ask how long they been teaching and what their goal is as a teacher every sem..."

Ashley sparked an idea for me too. What if you did an article on who students consider the best teacher in a few different departments? It would help students to choose who to take a certain class from.

message 17: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments Sorry, all, that I havent been on in a while! I did the book story for my first edition this year and last edition (coming out today) was about international students (yes they do come to this little tiny school in Vermont! haha)
Thank you for all the WONDERFUL ideas! I look forward to hearing more.

And I have to admit, I did a bit of name-dropping for goodreads in my book article! :)

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments Yay name dropping!
You should write an article about the Equality March in DC on Sunday. Maybe see if anyone from your school went, and do a poll about how people perceive the way LGBT people are treated, both in society and by the law. It could be illuminating.

I like the teacher of the month idea. I can never tell what teachers I should take for my classes. You could interview the teacher and then interview students who have had them and ask how hard they are, how good they are at teaching, and whether they would recommend their class or not.

message 19: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments Thanks Emily!

message 20: by Ellis (new)

Ellis Kaur | 1 comments I am very glad to join your discussion about the biggest problems that students have. I think you can find a way out using https://essayyoda.com/buy-college-ess... that will allow you to save your time and nerves to solve complex problems. So get a chance to buy college essays