The One (The Selection, #3) The One discussion

Did anyone really care about King Clarkson's Death

Comments Showing 1-50 of 133 (133 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Amphitrite I personally didn't care I hate his guts but is there anyone who actually did feel bad for his death

Diana Braxton I guess I felt bad a bit, because other than the fact that he's strict and abusive and dumb, you didn't know much about him. But I felt worse about Celeste and the queen and her dad and the others. Also, other than her father, most of the deaths in the One were fairly quick and less painful.

Neha I didn't feel bad about his death. He had to die someday in order to bring Maxon to power. But Queen Amberly's death was really devastating.

Tiffany Revilia I read this opinion somewhere and I agree that his death felt like an easy somewhat lazy way out on the author's side. At least the way he died. The character deserved at least a proper showdown, the death felt too quick and too insignificant to me. Like oh! Meh, he's dead.

Nikita Not at all. The guy was abusive, cruel and a controlling tyrant. Amberly however, I was so sad when she died.

Amphitrite Well to be fair in the Prince and the Guard book in the family tree stuff it says that King Clarkson's mom murdered her first husband and then married his dad. Plus his dad sort of helped the mom with the murder so I'm not surprised that he went all evil but yeah queen Amberly is so nice and sweet she didn't deserve to die

✿ K.B ✿ Nope, not me. I am sad Queen Amberly died, but not for that EVIL King.

Ilana i think that we all knew that it was going to be the ending for him - think about it. there wasn't going to be a role for him once maxon realized his own worth, and once America figured out what she wanted and how to get it.

I feel like the rebel attack was the best way to get rid of him and put Maxon/America in their positions so that they didn't have to solve for that while they were trying to sort out their own relationship.

Now the queen's death - that's one that still bothers me. I REALLY REALLY wanted her to have her happiness with having a daughter/2nd child since we knew that it was really important to her. In my mind though i kind of hope that she felt that America was her daughter before she died, so that there was some peace there.

Jacque Hell yes I cared! It was reason to pop out the champagne!

Amphitrite Jacque wrote: "Hell yes I cared! It was reason to pop out the champagne!"

Lol:D Yes! That comment just made my day :)

message 11: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Jacque wrote: "Hell yes I cared! It was reason to pop out the champagne!"

Lol!!! :D Yep!!!

Kaitlyn Davis I felt bad only because I knew if would affect Maxon.

Paula Jacque wrote: "Hell yes I cared! It was reason to pop out the champagne!"

lol

Fayza Well it did matter because now Maxon is the King!!!!!

Amphitrite I know! He'll make a way better king. I can just imagine all the subjects at the funeral for King Clarkson's and only the twos are crying while everyone else is do a happy dance :P

Fayza Alexandria wrote: "I know! He'll make a way better king. I can just imagine all the subjects at the funeral for King Clarkson's and only the twos are crying while everyone else is do a happy dance :P"

SO RIGHT!!!

message 17: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I kind of excpected, but yeah he deserved to die after how he treated Maxon and well pretty much everyone! But i was shocked when Amberly died. I really liked her! She was so nice!

Elly,  the Martian I didn't felt bad for him. I just felt bad for Maxon who actually lost his father.

But that the queen and Celeste died I just got angry. D:
But I loved this book so much!

Lorna Schreave I started dancing as soon as I heard that but I was upset that the queen died. She was overall a good supporting character and she totally shipped Maxon and America!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Didn't care, but I thought it was a cheap way to get Maxon into power. though I will say that for a few pages I did like him, then I went back to not caring. His character seemed to come out of nowhere in the second book for me. And his tactic were cheap and laughable. It's like he's a cartoon villain without the campiness. Now that would have been fun.

message 21: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara I didn't care, but the queen's death was awful and I don't see why she had to die or Celeste for that matter.

Joana Sousa Noooooooooo. When I found out that he died I was just so happy. Like, healthy stupid. He was so mean to America and Maxon. I really do feel bad for the queen. I really liked her :-(

Autumn Nope. I didn't like him from the start. I was really sad when the queen died though...

message 24: by Natalie (new)

Natalie I was happy when he died to be honest. But when queen Amberly and Celeste I was a mess.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess I might have been the smallest bit upset, but I was really upset about the queen and Celeste dying. I mean Celeste was just becoming a good person!

message 26: by Noa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Noa No, it was just to convenient. The book only had a few more pages to go, so to tie up all loose ends Kiera kills The King and the Queen. Now, Maxon and America can swoop in without resolving anything with them.

Mya I think it was pretty sad that King Clarkson died. I didn't like him at all but I feel so sorry for Maxon! His father was a big part of Maxon's life! And he lost his mother! I do really care that he died! :(

Amphitrite The first few chapters of The Queen is up on Kiera Cass' website and you guys are going to hate me for this but I am starting to have a crush on Prince Clarkson's notice I say prince and not king because he sounds awesome back then

Amphitrite He is still a jerk in The Queen though but he's a cute jerk so now he is just misunderstood =P

Alice I didnt care for his death but I really felt sorry about Queen Amberly's death

message 31: by Cindy (last edited Sep 09, 2014 01:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cindy No he was rude! I know it going to sound a bit cold but I was glad he died. He beat his ONLY SON, look at the scars Maxon has on his back because of him and he's in pain just after he receives them, ugh I hated him for that. King Clarkson also threatened America and put her down, what a bully! And the way he gave Queen Amberly the cold stare that silence her immediately, well! I'm only sad that the Queen had to died, she was so sweet!

Amphitrite Yeah I still can't believe Queen Amberly loved him so much she died trying to save him in the first chapters of the Queen she cut her hair just to please him and have him love her. For some reason she really loved him probably as much as America loves Maxon. I can't blame the Queen on that though because when he was young he sounds as handsome as Maxon except that he was rude. I bet the King Clarkson never truly loved her at all he probably just picked her cause she made a perfect Queen, seriously what other girl would remain calm during an attack or try to help the people and maybe even calm the rebels down a bit.

message 33: by Cindy (last edited Sep 09, 2014 02:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cindy Alexandria wrote: "Yeah I still can't believe Queen Amberly loved him so much she died trying to save him in the first chapters of the Queen she cut her hair just to please him and have him love her. For some reason ..."
I feel bad for Queen Amberly now. I mean in The Selection Trilogy, it looked like he adored her but maybe it was because how pose she was. I have to read the first few chapters of The Queen now.

Mya Alexandria wrote: "Yeah I still can't believe Queen Amberly loved him so much she died trying to save him in the first chapters of the Queen she cut her hair just to please him and have him love her. For some reason ..."
Have you read the selection story's? Cause if you didn't it explains that he grew up in a house of violence and he was abused. He married her because of her calmness and how she loved him. He also loved her in many different ways but there was too many in the book.

Amphitrite Yeah I remember he probably scared off the rest of the girls in his Selections=P

Mya Alexandria wrote: "Yeah I remember he probably scared off the rest of the girls in his Selections=P"

lol

message 37: by Louise (last edited Sep 10, 2014 12:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Louise I don't feel bad at all. It might sound mean- but I'm actually happy he's not disturbing Maxon or America anymore. He's just a tyrant who is violent and discriminate low castes people. He whips his son like Marcus from [Divergent]also does. But I am disappointed about Queen Amberly though, she could be a good mother to America in the palace

Mya Louise wrote: "I don't feel bad at all. It might sound mean- but I'm actually happy he's not disturbing Maxon or America anymore. He's just a tyrant who is violent and discriminate low castes people. He whips his..."
But what would you feel if your father was like that and people said I didn't care about his death. I'm sure Maxon would rather perfer is father's strict way's then him dead.
I would feel the same way. Wouldn't you?

Amphitrite True there and I'm pretty sure only the king's family and the celebrities were the only ones to care about his death though but yeah despite everything the king did he was Maxon's dad

Louise Mya Carinha wrote: But what would you feel if your father was like that and people said I didn't care about his death. I'm sure Maxon would rather perfer is father's strict way's then him dead.
I would feel the same way. Wouldn't you?

I don't agree, because my dad is not King Clarkson, of course he doesn't whip me, I would be sad if something happens to him. But Maxon fears his Dad, like Tobias from Divergent. And King Clarkson whips him. Would you love someone who ignores your opinion, discriminate someone that you love, whips yourself, and make you feel bad? If I were Maxon in this situation, I would feel, in fact, free. The only sadness would be for queen Amberly.

How about you? Would you love your father if he is cruel and ignoring to you? If he punishes your mother, you, and someone that you love? If he makes you feel trapped and uneasy?

Mya Louise wrote: "Mya Carinha wrote: But what would you feel if your father was like that and people said I didn't care about his death. I'm sure Maxon would rather perfer is father's strict way's then him dead.
I w..."

In some way's I do agree with you. And your right about King Clarkson whiping Maxon and that is totally not okay, but other things Clarkson does to him that is not abusive is to teach him a lesson.

Amphitrite Frankly I think Maxon got a whole lot stronger from the experience plus if he really hated his dad that much he wouldn't put up with it. He was already stronger than his dad so he could have stopped the beating whenever he wanted but he chose not to because like Tobias he didn't want to become like his father. At the same time though Maxon was probably waiting for a day where his father would be proud of him for doing something Maxon loves or felt was the right thing to do. Every kid wants to make there parents proud no matter how much the parent hates them. Take Danielle from Ever After for example her stepmom was cruel but she put up with it all in hopes that one day her stepmom could actually love her like her own child. Now that his father is dead he will never know if there was a chance of his father being proud of him.

Mya Alexandria wrote: "Frankly I think Maxon got a whole lot stronger from the experience plus if he really hated his dad that much he wouldn't put up with it. He was already stronger than his dad so he could have stoppe..."

It's true Maxon didn't want to become like his father. But Maxon needs to respect his father even if he's cruel. Maxon's not the king he is only the prince. ( but he is the king now. )
My point is Maxon does love his father. But loves him in respect.

Louise Alexandria wrote: "Frankly I think Maxon got a whole lot stronger from the experience plus if he really hated his dad that much he wouldn't put up with it. He was already stronger than his dad so he could have stoppe..."

I guess you're right about Maxon hoping to make his dad proud, but maybe Maxon doesn't like him, he just hope his dad would approve of him one day and realize his mistakes. But about Tobias from Divergent, what Tobias did was self defense, sort of. What he did was necessary to overcome his fear. But Maxon can't stand up to his father, because his father is the king. Sure, Maxon's the prince, but King still has more power in all ways. Besides, King Clarkson is the "father", I don't think Maxon would fight him, or could fight him.

We all have good points in our opinions though, it is very nice for me to hear what other people think, thank you.

Mya Louise wrote: "Alexandria wrote: "Frankly I think Maxon got a whole lot stronger from the experience plus if he really hated his dad that much he wouldn't put up with it. He was already stronger than his dad so h..."
I agree with you that it's nice to see everyone's point. Anyway's in the end we all hopefully enjoyed the book and had fun reading it! :)

Amphitrite We'll actually what Tobias did wasn't even sort of self defense Tobias whipped his dad out of revenge and to make himself look less of a weakling in front of the dauntless. It wasn't as if his dad was beating him up at that moment. At least Maxon had the wits and composure to control himself. That's why Maxon is far better than Tobias. And I don't think it was all about respect he like all kids had the natural desire to make his parents proud. Queen Amberly always supported Maxon but King Clarkson just refused to budge. Because of that Maxon worked even harder and took his job as prince and future king seriously so basically all that caning and tough love helped form an amazing king. Now we won't see Maxon cane too many people because he knows how that feels like. Also Clarkson wasn't raised in a pleasant lifestyle either I have a feeling Clarkson's dad was the same way with him except King Clarkson had a drunk and murderous mom to deal with too so seriously he had no good examples on how to be a great parent.

Amphitrite It really is nice to hear everyone's opinions and seriously I loved the One it is just so amazing=D

Mya Alexandria wrote: "It really is nice to hear everyone's opinions and seriously I loved the One it is just so amazing=D"
What's your favorite book out of the whole trilogy?

Amphitrite Ugh I hate that question because I can't decide between The Selection and The One too hard to choose =P

message 50: by Louise (last edited Sep 10, 2014 06:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Louise Mine is THE ONE, it is one of my favourite books ever! Like, I have a favourite book that I loved for almost 6 years, but now I am seriously considering if Selection series is actually my favourite. *laugh* Right now I am like America, wondering about what is better.

THE ONE IS SO AWESOME! Can't wait for THE HEIR to come out. What are you guys' favourite?

« previous 1 3