What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury, #1)
This topic is about The Man With a Load of Mischief
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. British cozy mystery: Police inspector works with a sergeant who was always full of doom and gloom, either popping pills or moaning. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesley Hewitt (new)

Lesley Hewitt I read the book in the 90's and cannot remember the title. The book was the first of a series about a police inspector that had a seargent working with him who was always full of doom and gloom and was either popping pills or moaning. The two of them always solved the cases they were given though.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 121 comments Which one was full of doom and gloom, the inspector or the sergeant? Are they both men? Are there any duos you've ruled out already, such as Morse and Lewis (Colin Dexter), Wexford and Burden (Ruth Rendell), or Dalziel and Pascoe (Reginald Hill)? Can you remember where it was set - Oxford, near the sea, or in London, for example?

message 3: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jun 03, 2018 07:57AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments The Man With a Load of Mischief is the first Richard Jury novel by Martha Grimes. Jury is pretty moody himself (war orphan), and his gloomy Sergeant Alfred Wiggins is always eating weird food and taking vitamins.

message 4: by Lesley Hewitt (new)

Lesley Hewitt Laura, it wasn't any of the well known duo's and yes they're both male. Sam it could be the Martha Grimes, Richard Jury books. I did read a few of them years ago. Thank you.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36561 comments Mod
Richard Jury series by Martha Grimes - mentioned by Lesley

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36561 comments Mod
I added plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it using the small "edit" link on the desktop website (not the mobile app).

message 7: by Lesley Hewitt (new)

Lesley Hewitt Yes it was the Richard Jury series, I have just bought all the series, they will keep me going through the winter lol.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan Budd | 3 comments YA book, 1970s/80s, a family of young children, I'm not sure whether the parents were around -- the girls had sort of masculine first names (one of the lead female characters was I think named Hadley), something about a mystery at home about the clock striking thirteen times? I just happened to glance at it in the school library and have never been able to recall its name or what else took place.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lobstergirl | 40627 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "YA book, 1970s/80s, a family of young children, I'm not sure whether the parents were around -- the girls had sort of masculine first names (one of the lead female characters was I think named Hadl..."

Susan, please start a new thread in UNSOLVED for your query.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Man With a Load of Mischief (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Martha Grimes (other topics)