The Great American Read discussion

Catch-22
This topic is about Catch-22
PAST Group Reads 2018 > Catch-22- June- NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
This is a bonus read for people who were starting Catch-22 as our group was forming, and for anyone else who wants to join the discussion. The original discussion thread may contain spoilers.

This is a spoiler-free thread. Do not discuss the ending or any events that might be considered spoilers. This is the place to start.

These threads will remain open after the end of the month, so you can continue the discussion.

Who is reading or planning to read Catch-22?

Paula NancyJ wrote: "This is a bonus read for people who were starting Catch-22 as our group was forming, and for anyone else who wants to join the discussion. The original discussion thread may contain spoilers.

This..."

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I really appreciate comments sans spoilers. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Colleen  | 47 comments I'll lurk in - I've read it already and do not do re-reads (at this point in my life, if ever). Enjoy the satire!

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) This novel is one of my all-time favorites. I have read it twice - so far.

Nyla Panzilius (nylap) | 38 comments Colleen wrote: "I'll lurk in - I've read it already and do not do re-reads (at this point in my life, if ever). Enjoy the satire!"

I also refrain from rereading, for the most part. Too many books, too little time! I read Catch-22 with one of my book clubs about 10 years ago. I am interested to hear what others have to say.

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie I know everybody says this book is hilarious but I just can't seem to get into it. Maybe I will try again later, but for now I give up!

message 7: by Pam (new) - added it

Pam (bluegrasspam) I didn’t find it hilarious either. There were a couple of funny parts but I just couldn’t get into it. I stopped around p.100. I thought I would really enjoy it.

message 8: by Parker (new)

Parker | 204 comments Pam wrote: "I didn’t find it hilarious either. There were a couple of funny parts but I just couldn’t get into it. I stopped around p.100. I thought I would really enjoy it."

I think you really have had to have been in the armed forces to fully appreciate it. I found it quite hilarious, but I grew up with war stories (used to work for Veteran's Services at my local university. I was everybody's "little sis" and the mascot).

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments I've not been in the armed forces, but I pay a lot of attention since we started the war in Afghanistan and then of course, intensified it across the world. I've tried to stay apprised of what veterans and members of the military have to say, and because of this, especially the chapters about Major Major made me laugh REALLY hard. I loved Yossarian - thought he was amazing and some of his dialogue with the upper ranks was comedy gold.

My problem came just in the amount of silliness - it got a bit tiresome after a while, but then the seriousness of the novel set in, and I liked it again.

message 10: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) Lol I love this book and I’m only on chapter 4. I was never in the military, my parents were never in the military, but my grandfather and ex husband were. I’m really enjoying it.