Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Which fantasy-themed career/job is for you?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Which job do you see yourself having in a fantastical setting? Which realm/series would you see yourself having employment in? You can pick realistically and/or not-realistically

Here’s some ideas:

-Tavern owner
-innkeeper
-librarian
-healer/doc/surgeon
-blacksmith
-mercenary
-wizard/witch/alchemist
-King/Queen
-brothel owner
-thief
-merchant
-ranger/keeper of forests and animals
-soldier
-treasure hunter
-professor of magical arts
-warlord/evil genius/giant-all-seeing-eye

message 2: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Realistically I think my sort of job is healer, or a ranger of sorts.

Unrealistically I think I would like to be a Tavern owner or wizard of sorts. I definitely wouldn’t want to own any kind of establishment in Westeros, as I feel like that’s an invitation to get murdered

Working as a chef in the Powder Mage universe would be pretty sweet

message 3: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments librarian ... probably the safest job, cos I’m not that brave hahah

failing that I’dchoose to be a professor

message 4: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan I'd go with Wizard, for sure. But I reckon it's a really hard profession where discretion is the better part of valour.

message 5: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Hmm there doesn’t seem to be a film industry or the use of cameras in most fantasy settings maybe in a steampunk setting I’ll be a camera man or filmmaker using those old school film cameras to capture my footage and that would be my job if I were to base it off my skill set

However preferably I would be a scholar/librarian as these are the guys that find the answers for the hero plus what better way to learn about the world than reading the history books

On a side note Margaret your answer made me think of my tv pilot script of a paramedic being transported to the 14th century so it is interesting to think about 🤔🤔🤔

message 6: by Sha (last edited Jun 03, 2018 05:33AM) (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Preferably one of the following;
Professor of Magical Arts.
Alchemist, preferably in a world where it actually works
Librarian, default comfort occupation
Blacksmith, because i would likely not be too put off by slamming a ahammed repeatedly onto iron.
Healer, so long as the treatments are more medieval arab than medieval europe.
Ranger, if we are in a world with elves because i bet that would be fun.

A lot of those jobs seem to requirements regular international with people and those are jobs I am definitely going to avoid. Also, Mercenary/Thief/Queen has like ZERO job security. And soldier in typical epic fantasy is... Bad. Bad choice.

My backup plan is going to be all seeing evil eye as that does not seem to take much work. :P

Saul the Heir of Isauldur (krinnok) | 209 comments Realistically, I'd probably be a librarian, the obsessive and super protective kind, like Lorren in The Name of the Wind.

Unrealistically, and more fun, I'd be an adventurer in the spirit of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, or Conan. I'd go around, looking for treasure, kind of do some mercenary work on the side. I'd try to get a little magic knowledge just for convenience, but mostly use my sword and/or wit.

Being a blacksmith also doesn't sound bad; I'd grow a beard and make friends with the local lord.

Saul the Heir of Isauldur (krinnok) | 209 comments Actually, being a Witcher would be the best, except they are by nature sterile :/ So maybe some sort of monster hunter of the same style, but without any of the magical skills?

message 9: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3356 comments A Librarian in the Clayr's glacier! That would be awesome :)

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jun 03, 2018 06:09AM) (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Great topic.

I'd be one level removed from the top. A player but not the star. Since Powder Mage was brought up Olem would be a good parallel. I'm not Tamas, Taniel or even Vlora but all of them rely on me and in their absence I'll lead but out of necessity. I'll also navigate the political waters on their behest and give them solutions when needed.

I simply have way too big of an ego not to be part of the main plot. I don't have the talent of the main characters to be an Anomander Rake. I'm not covert enough or Mensa smart enough to be a Kruppe who is the hidden brains behind things. I could be a Stormy or Gessler who will take on long odds but I definitely don't want to be in Whiskeyjack or Dujek's shoes having to lead the troops. I'm a big enough wise ass to be Crone!

message 11: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Loving these answers so far! Bump!

message 12: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

And I feel like librarian would be pretty awesome. It would be a lot of transcribing though, so you’d want to invent a printing press quite soon after starting that career

message 13: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Steampunk filmmaker would be a pretty cool script in its own I think Ahdam!

message 14: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Timelord Iain | 17964 comments Mod
I'd probably be a tavern owner or innkeeper... someone adventurer's come to for information... I'm a fount of useless information/trivia...

More fun, I'd be the King's Wit / Jester :D

message 15: by Silvana (last edited Jun 03, 2018 08:43AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments I did a test a while ago and my result was Chaotic Neutral Human Ranger (was thinking in the line of Faramir with his Ithilien rangers, and I enjoy archery). But, a Chronicler (just like Croaker in The Black Company) would do just fine.

message 16: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments aaaawww! what a fun thread

look at my avatar! of course I'd be a Champion of the Cause aka paladin; that is, unrealistically speaking :)

realistically, if not a librarian (lol) then perhaps an adviser to those in power? heed my wisdom, lol :D

message 17: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Silvana wrote: "I did a test a while ago and my result was Chaotic Neutral Human Ranger. But, a Chronicler (just like Croaker in The Black Company) would do just fine."

chronicler is a good one!

message 18: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Iain wrote: "

More fun, I'd be the King's Wit / Jester :D"

More like Patchface or Butterbumps?

message 19: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

I haven't read ASOIAF... had to google those names... mostly just thinking of Hoid... and how fun it would be to always be in the right place at the right time to witness History in the Making... and keep the king from insulting people...

message 20: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Whoops, sorry, I thought almost everyone here has read it :D

Saar The Book owl | 2057 comments I would be a librarian, living in the shadows of my books, but a very wise and important one, with rare books and rare artifacts.

Next to that, career as a dragon trainer would be great.

message 22: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

I can summarize my fantasy knowledge to Wheel of Time and everything I've Buddy Read in this group the past 9 months...

message 23: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I think there's more Wit's in fantasy that fit into the secret genius category. ASOIAF is more of an Earthy fantasy and those have traditional fools. But Fool from all of the Robin Hobb series, Witt from Stormlight, Jest from Heartless.......the list goes on of brilliant ones.

message 24: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3175 comments Treasure hunter with a scholar side.

I like the research, but I also love traveling and discovering new cultures, so I wouldn't want to be locked inside the library all my life.

message 25: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Miche wrote: "Treasure hunter with a scholar side.

I like the research, but I also love traveling and discovering new cultures, so I wouldn't want to be locked inside the library all my life."

ooo, Miche read City of Bones if you like this kind of archeologist-adventurer gig (apologies if you've read it already

message 26: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3175 comments Mayim wrote: "Miche wrote: "Treasure hunter with a scholar side.

I like the research, but I also love traveling and discovering new cultures, so I wouldn't want to be locked inside the library all my life."

oo..."

Ohhh, that looks very interesting! Thank you, Mayim!

message 27: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments @Margaret possibly but then again a filmmaker making a film about making a film just screams narcissist maybe a character who is making a film in the world but we’ll see

Actually that is interesting we’re talking about an advanced society with a Victorian settings and despite all the machinery no one has made a film camera yet

On another note I’m tempted to just write a steampunk story since I haven’t found a single steampunk book that was mind blowing or interested me I’ll have to throw some stuff at the wall but maybe

message 28: by Simi (new)

Simi Sunny | 73 comments I'm between a witch or a librarian 😸💜📚

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments If it was true to real life I'd be like the treasurer. Preferentially I'd be stable master or hunting dog breeder. Really preferentially I'd be a mage of some sort.

message 30: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
I'd probably be someone like Arki from Scourge of the Betrayer. A scribe who follows badass people around, writing down what they are doing, and pretending to also be a badass but failing epically.

message 31: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Saar wrote: "Next to that, career as a dragon trainer would be great.."

Not overly attached to your limbs, eh?

Saul the Heir of Isauldur (krinnok) | 209 comments Training dragons > having limbs

Imagine the stories! How'd you lose your arm? "Oh, I got a cut and it got infected, so they had to remove it." Darn, that's awful. And you? "It was eaten by a FREAKIN' DRAGON. But after that, I managed to train it properly!"

message 33: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
I'd likely be an Archivist. :)

message 34: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Niki Hawkes wrote: "I'd likely be an Archivist. :)"

shocking

message 35: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3175 comments Margret wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "I'd likely be an Archivist. :)"

shocking"

😂😂😂😂

message 36: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
I know that was a "mind blown" moment. ;P

If I could reshape myself into someone who's a little more adventurous, I'd love to be a dragon naturalist like Lady Trent. :)

message 37: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments @Marge, how can I resist? I hope you are better...

Troubadour.

message 38: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1964 comments Unrealistically I'd love to be a wizard of the 'born with power' elemental type (earth would probably be my element - fire is overrated) (if I ever play a wizard of the chanting spells D&D type they tend to die with depressing swiftness). And a treasure hunter. Yes, a thieving treasure hunter with elemental magic powers and wit and charisma will do me... just call me Mary-Sue!

Realistically I'd probably be a librarian. But as most medieval libraries only had a few hundred books I'd quit after a few years, when I'd read them all.

message 39: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments I could see myself having a shop for magical artefacts/potion ingredients/books on magic or something like that. And of course I´d like to be a mage (which could be combined with the shop).

Or a librarian (cliché answer ;) )

message 40: by Slytherpuff (last edited Jun 17, 2018 12:06PM) (new)

Slytherpuff I'd love to be an author although that isn't the most realistic for me. I'm hoping to work at a bookstore and library. I'd also love to be a wizard.